• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ..... Bristol City

Mick

Life President
As the club can't be bothered to open more than one stand, I can't be bothered to do much more than a short refwatch.

Man in charge tonight is Dave Phillips from Sussex, refereeing his fourth Southend match. First was Huddersfield at home two years ago (lost 1-0 booked Macca), second was away ay Yeovil last year (lost again, sent off Morrison, booked Macca) and most recently last year at home to Swindon (2-2 Macca didn't play). That last game he did well and was hardly noticed.

Older than most new refs (his 3rd season), he is a Police Officer in his 40s. A steady official.

Had the privilege of refereeing Stevenage's first ever League match last Saturday; don't think there were any complaints.

W. Atkin (no relation to Saturday's Atkin) and P. Knight running the lines. Ian Cooper is 4th official. All 3 are regular visitors to Roots Hall.

As the club can't be bothered to open more than one stand, I can't be bothered to do much more than a short refwatch.

Man in charge tonight is Dave Phillips from Sussex, refereeing his fourth Southend match. First was Huddersfield at home two years ago (lost 1-0 booked Macca), second was away ay Yeovil last year (lost again, sent off Morrison, booked Macca) and most recently last year at home to Swindon (2-2 Macca didn't play). That last game he did well and was hardly noticed.

Older than most new refs (his 3rd season), he is a Police Officer in his 40s. A steady official.

Had the privilege of refereeing Stevenage's first ever League match last Saturday; don't think there were any complaints.

W. Atkin (no relation to Saturday's Atkin) and P. Knight running the lines. Ian Cooper is 4th official. All 3 are regular visitors to Roots Hall.

Keep them coming Mick.

I hate to say it, but it costs more to open all sides of the stadium.

Are you saying he has littleman syndrome?

Forget minimum height restrictions for the police (which they have), there should definitely be a minimum height restriction for referees!

Keep them coming Mick.

I hate to say it, but it costs more to open all sides of the stadium.

Stewards are not highly paid. A few extra people who may not be going because:

a) they don't want to be squashed in the main stand
b) they wanted their season ticket seat
c) are put off by the message the club are giving about this game

would cover it, I would have thought.

Are you saying he has littleman syndrome?

Forget minimum height restrictions for the police (which they have), there should definitely be a minimum height restriction for referees!

short refwatch not short ref watch !

Is there anything you're positive about surrounding the club, Mick?

Onions perhaps?

Stewards are not highly paid. A few extra people who may not be going because:

a) they don't want to be squashed in the main stand
b) they wanted their season ticket seat
c) are put off by the message the club are giving about this game

would cover it, I would have thought.

Every little helps.

Every little helps.

No you're missing my point. I'm suggesting that with a bit better marketing enough people would come and that would pay for itself.

The message they're sending out is "we've got this minor match to get out of the way so we'll just open up the bit we normally use for reserve games" rather than "come and see a Championship team with England's current number one keeper".

No you're missing my point. I'm suggesting that with a bit better marketing enough people would come and that would pay for itself.

The message they're sending out is "we've got this minor match to get out of the way so we'll just open up the bit we normally use for reserve games" rather than "come and see a Championship team with England's current number one keeper".

Maybe you are right, but, Bristol City isn't an attractive fixture, and nobody cares about the Carling Cup. It has always been badly attended, apart from big games.
I suppose it could have been marketed better but as the East stand is nowhere near sold out yet, it just proves really, that even with it being marketed in the correct way, it probably still wouldn't be attended well.

At his Devonshire home?

First round ties in the Carling cup historically draw in poor attendances and, what with it usually being a meaningless game against another lower-tier club with a fair few fans still on holiday. There's nothing wrong with the club only opening the East Stand, at least until ticket sales point towards an attendance that would merit opening more stands IMO.

Last edited:
At his Devonshire home?

First round ties in the Carling cup historically draw in poor attendances and, what with it usually being a meaningless game against another lower-tier club with a fair few fans still on holiday. There's nothing wrong with the club only opening the East Stand, at least until ticket sales point towards an attendance that would merit opening more stands IMO.

Small club mentality becomes selfv fulfilling prophesy.

Lucky for you that you don't run your own business.

Small club mentality becomes selfv fulfilling prophesy.

Lucky for you that you don't run your own business.

Supply and demand... If you're only expecting to sell 2,000 items, you wouldn't rent a warehouse capable of storing 10,000 at an extra cost, when there's a storage facility down the road capable of storing 2,000, would you?

I dare say the club would be more than happy to open all four stands if the demand was there, but it isn't, so they haven't. For me at least, this is a (rare) show of financial prudence from the club.

and then stand back and watch the uproar as Bristol City give Dean Gherkin a run out.......

They advertised the West ham game as first team. Didn't hear much uproar when they included none of their probable starting XI.

You'll also find that a small crowd spread out over the whole ground would be non-atmospheric, whereas small crowd pushed together in ground together, will cause a lot more atmosphere and push that feeling onto the pitch for Southend to run out 2-1 winners! Bet on that!!!

You'll also find that a small crowd spread out over the whole ground would be non-atmospheric, whereas small crowd pushed together in ground together, will cause a lot more atmosphere and push that feeling onto the pitch for Southend to run out 2-1 winners! Bet on that!!!

I'm liking your thinking :clap:

Back