• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Bristol Rovers v Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the eleventh away game of the 2019/20 season and Sol Campbell’s 4th away game since he was appointed Manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our eleventh away match is against Bristol Rovers
SkyBet League One.jpg
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Sol and the team whether you are at Pirelli Stadium, listening on the radio, or listening/watching on ifollow.

Sol Campbell’s Southend United League One Away Team against Bristol Rovers

Bishop, Bwomono, Dieng (C), Kiernan, Taylor, Goodship, Milligan, Demetriou, Mantom, McLaughlin, Hopper.

Subs: Oxley, Humphrys, Cox, Hamilton, Acquah, Hutchinson, Kinali.

Memorial Stadium is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 7th December 2019, it looks like we are going to have an overcast afternoon with the sun occasionally breaking through and a gentle breeze, but it will feel a bit warmer than it has recently.

ELL5SqmWoAAynuw.jpg

ELL5SqmXsAAfmm4.jpg

The weather forecast for this afternoon at the Memorial Stadium

Bristol Rovers v SUFC Weather.jpg

Current League away record after 10 away games

Won 1
Drawn 2
Lost 7
Goals scored 11
Goals conceded 23

League Positions Last Season

15th (2018/19) League One Bristol Rovers
19th (2018/19) League One Southend United

League Positions Current Season

9th (2019/20) League One Bristol Rovers
22nd (2019/20) League One Southend United

Recent League Positions Change

Bristol Rovers v SUFC Positions.jpg

Previous five Meetings

Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers (L1 02/02/19 Att. 5,982)
Bristol Rovers 0-1 Southend United (L1 25/08/18 Att. 8,172)
Southend United 0-0 Bristol Rovers (L1 05/05/18 Att.8,179)
Bristol Rovers 3-0 Southend United (L1 09/12/17 Att. 8,062)
Bristol Rovers 2-0 Southend United (L1 11/03/17 Att. 9,274)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 47
Draws: 28
Bristol Rovers Wins: 41

Come On You Yellows!

Managers Pre-match Views

Bristol Rovers

Kevin Maher Bristol Rovers coach talks to Bristol Live the game against Southend United

1_GettyImages-57546207.jpg
Maher during his playing days (Image: Photo by Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

Well, Kevin, let’s start with the draw you got through to the last 16, a home tie and Stevenage at home is as much as you could have hoped for.

Yeah, I think so, first and foremost getting through the rounds and getting through the tie the other night was the pleasing thing. We found another way to win, not at the top of our game, we know that but the character we show and the willingness to dig in when we have to and find a way to win games and get through the tie. Yeah, a home time which is pleasing especially off the back of the Christmas period which is going to be busy so no travelling with that one so that’s a pleasing aspect for us.

While it wasn’t the greatest performance, it’s another win, it keeps the run going and the players continue to put their hands up, whether it’s Jordi in goal or Tony Craig stepping up and scoring penalties.

We are a little bit disappointed with the performance but I think we kept them to the bare minimum as well so that side of it is very pleasing. A lot of positives come from the game, as I say Jordi with his penalty saves was brilliant for him, Alfie scored a goal, Lucas Tomlinson coming onto the pitch and showing what a bright spark he is and what he can add going forward so a lot of positives and through to the next round and we keep building.

You mention there with Lucas, Cam Hargreaves as well, put him into the same sort of bracket, how easy or difficult is it to try and drip feed them in because I’m sure there are games that you want to try and get them on the bench and maybe use them, but when you’ve got a relatively healthy squad at the moment, it’s not easy...

I think when you look at it, Cam had his chance at Plymouth, how well he done there. Listen, Alfie and Rollin have been playing regular so that another two young players. Jordi’s a young keeper as well you know, so we’re getting them in and the gaffer is giving them chances, to do them all at once is difficult because we want to feed them in because in fairness to the lads that are playing every week and the squad, those that play, the standards are very, very high and they haven’t done a lot to say we’re going to change too much.

So really pleased with everyone involved with the squad and we’ll keep ticking along, pushing along, keep ticking along and demanding more because the standards have got to stay so high because we want to keep progressing in the cups and in the league and keep winning football matches.

It’s back to the league this weekend, Rollin had his red card, I assume that he’ll be missing for this one.

It looks that way, yeah. Disappointed with it but that’s what we’ve got a squad for, whoever comes in will hopefully play their part and look to get a positive performance.

What’s the situation with Tom Davies and maybe when will we expect to see him back in the blue and white quarters?

I think from what I gather he’s progressing well, I wouldn’t want to put a time out it because it’s difficult with these kinds of things. Hopefully, Tom will be back in the group as soon as we can so it will be a big plus to have him back because he's done well for us.

At the start of the season, Southend, is that sort of a game you sort of lookout for in the calendar given your past associations?

Yeah, I think it’s obvious, I think you look at it as another game. It is what it is, what we’ve got here is another football match that we want to collect three points from and we’re at home so we’ll look to push on and if we can go on and win the game that’s what we want, but it’s going to be a tough game, we know that at home.

They’ve had a decent point during the week, so I’m sure they’ll look to build on that but we know if we turn up and perform how we know we can then we can get a positive result.

Absolutely you 100% want Rovers to win and that’s the job but having spent so long at the club, there must be plenty members of staff and people there who you’ll know and catch up with?

Absolutely, I think anytime you spend the amount of time I spent at the club, I think I spent ten years as a player and four as a coach so I still know a lot of good players, good staff there, a lot of very good staff that are still at the football club and a lot of good people behind the scenes as you say so it will be good to catch up with one or two and I’m sure it will be a competitive game but it’s one we want to win.

Look at the squad they’ve got and a lot of the players have come through the 23’s and got a lot of players in and around it so I’m really pleased for them, the ones I worked with a long time ago and the last couple of years so that’s a pleasing aspect, but first and foremost it’s a game of football and we want to win tomorrow.

As you say, they got the draw in midweek that was a good point for them but it’s been a pretty miserable season for them so far, what do you think has gone wrong there, what’s not happening?

It’s not for me to say too much but what I’ll say is, to be fair to the chairman he always backs his managers and hopefully he’ll do the same now with Sol , he’ll want to try and get his philosophy and his in print on the club and I think he’ll be given time to do that and hopefully after Saturday they can start turning it around and getting some results and pulling up the league but four us, we’re focusing on ourselves and what we can do to win the game.

As you say, the home for has been good so this is one that you can win and keep yourselves there or there about’s in terms of that race for the top six?

The aim is to win as many games as you can, yeah, we want to focus on getting a good performance in, if we can stick to the process of how we want to play and how effective we are at times, we need to improve, we know that we need to stay to our principals, our DNA and how we work then hopefully the result will take care of itself.

So, with Rollin’s suspension and Tom’s likely absence that means you’ve got to break up a back three that’s done well for you so far this season, how are you going to look to cope with that, are you perhaps going to bring Mark Little inside, will you look at a back four, I know you’re not going to maybe give me specific’s but purely speaking what are you going to do?

I think it’s up to the gaffer like you said, there’s a couple of options, I think we can look at, what way we go, we’ll see tomorrow but as you say, the squad is there for a reason, missing one or two that’s going to happen.

Especially this time of year you tend to find that a lot of clubs will be in a similar kind of position but I think we’ve got bodies to cover that and we’ve got people to come in who have done well for us, so whoever it Is, I’m sure they’ll be up to the task.

I think it’s fair to say you were lacking a little bit of fluidity on Wednesday and also in parts of the game on Sunday, is there anything you’re looking to do maybe, shake that up a bit, Jonson seemed a little bit isolated particularly on Wednesday.

We want to play in a certain way and we want balls in the box, we want to score more goals but at the same time we’re doing okay.

I think we’ve only lost two in 18 so there’s not too much wrong, maybe we’re victims of our high standards that we demand more all the time and that’s coming through so we’ve got a chance if we can win Saturday that can move us up again hopefully but you’re going to get times in the season when not everything goes perfectly but I’ll tell you what, we’ll dig in and we’ll make it hard for other teams and be hard to beat, but on the front foot to go and score goals, we do want that and I think we’ve got the players to do that.

On the goalkeeping situation, just a word on Jordi and I guess his professionalism because it must be a strange situation for him to be the hero on Wednesday and then he’s likely going back to the bench with Anssi coming back in, how’s he sort of dealing with that role of being a backup keeper?

Listen, Jordi’s a young keeper and there’s been a lot of change for him coming into a new country helping to settle in and I think he’s showing that now.

Delighted for him the other night to save the penalties, I think that’s credit to the goalkeeping department, Tuck’s as well to get him to the stage where he’s looking the part now so really pleased with that with the detail on the penalty saves, so really pleased with Jordi and hopefully whoever plays I think is able to do a job.

Full text here:-
Link

Graham Coughlan and Kevin Maher talk to Chris Phillips at the Echo before the game

Bristol Rovers duo Graham Coughlan and Kevin Maher hurt by lack of opportunities at Southend United

233147705.jpg.gallery.jpg
Graham Coughlan Manager at Bristol Rovers

Graham Coughlan and Kevin Maher face Southend United still feeling frustrated they did not get more of an opportunity with the Shrimpers.

Coughlan has been in charge of Rovers since December 2018 while Maher joined as his assistant in the summer.

But Coughlan, who spent close to eight years coaching at Blues, is hurt he was never given the top job at Roots Hall.

“I’m thoroughly enjoying being at Bristol Rovers but yes, it does hurt I was never given this chance at Southend,” said Coughlan.

“There was a great group of people there in Ben Cirne, Ben Clarkson, Lee Harrison, Kevin Maher and myself who I feel had the experience, nous and knowledge to do well.

“I had to put up with a lot of nonsense when I was there and turn a blind eye to things I wouldn’t have put up with if I was the manager.

“I also worked exceptionally hard so it was frustrating and disappointing I didn’t get the chance to take things on.

“When I look at where Southend are now it really hurts me and angers me too because the club shouldn’t be in that position.

“Things have spiralled out of control and I don’t think that would have happened if I had been given the chance to take over.

“But I respect the chairman Ron Martin and the decisions he has made.”

Coughlan left the Shrimpers along with manager Phil Brown at the start of 2018 before joining Bristol Rovers the following summer. The Irishman was promoted to manager just months later and remains surprised he was allowed to bring Maher in from Blues to work as his assistant.

“I was shocked we could get him but Southend’s loss has been Bristol Rovers’ gain because Kev’s been brilliant,” said Coughlan.

“He knits together the under-23s with the first team superbly and does a lot of work on the analysis side too.”

Maher enjoyed a lengthy playing career with the Shrimpers, making more than 450 appearances for the club before returning as under-23 coach.

And Maher was also frustrated not to be given the chance to work with Blues’ first team.

“It did hurt not to get a chance at Southend,” said Maher.

“I was the under-23s coach for four years and a lot of players went through to the first team in that time. We also won a couple of cups and I really put a lot of hours in but if it wasn’t to be it wasn’t to be and I’m happy at Bristol Rovers now.”

However, Maher still keeps an eye on Blues.

“I’ll always have an affiliation with Southend,” said Maher.

“I really hope Sol Campbell turns things around, just after tomorrow’s game.”

Link

Come On You Yellows!

Southend United

Sol Campbell Southend United’s new Manager talks to OS before travelling to Bristol Rovers

Southend United travel to the South West on Saturday to face Graham Coughlan’s Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

Sol Campbell OS.jpg
Sol Campbell Southend United’s Manager

The former Blues defender and assistant manager also boasts club legend Kevin Maher in his backroom staff.

The 1-1 draw with Burton Albion on Tuesday night was the first point gained since Sol Campbell arrived at Roots Hall.

And he wants his side to be more ruthless when they go forward.

"The main thing for us is we need to see the space and see our runners,” said Campbell.

"We had a lot of runners and good situations [on Tuesday against Burton] and we didn’t see it and capitalise on it.

"We’ve got to work harder and those opportunities will appear.

"We were lacking the last pass when it was on, we just didn’t see it. We’ve got to get better at that.

"It’s coming and the more we work at it the better we will get and that luck will drop our way.

"When we’re in the last third we need to start utilising the final pass.

"I don’t want us to be gung-ho, but our mindset when we’re 1-0 up needs to be to go again and kill the game off.

"1-1 away from home is a good result so we have to take every positive when it comes.

ELHudpKXkAEJujw.jpg

"[Saturday] is going to be hard competition and we’ve got to compete in the game."

The Blues boss also spoke about tightening things up at the back.

He believes in the way he wants the team to play, but said that needs to be in the right areas of the pitch.

"We’ve let ourselves down in giving [cheap] goals away,” Campbell added. "I don’t mind teams working hard and scoring against us but we have given away far too many goals because a lack of concentration or a lack of appreciation of where you are on the pitch. What you can get away with and what you definitely cannot get away with.

"We’ve got to play football at the right moments but then we’ve got to put our foot in and tackle, have desire, get back into position, heart and soul and spirit. We’ve got to do that, and then you can start playing your football.

"You’ve got to put your tackles in, get your first headers in, not shanking your header or your clearance, calmness under pressure and then quicken the pace of your game.

"We have to earn the right to play football and we’ve not done enough of that."

Link

Sol Campbell talks to the Chris Phillips at the ECHO before travelling to Bristol Rovers

Southend United boss Sol Campbell feels Richard Taylor can fill in at left-back

SOUTHEND V OXFORD-399.jpg.gallery.jpg
In contention - Southend United left-back Richard Taylor

Southend United manager Sol Campbell feels he still has options to pick from at left-back.

The Shrimpers will be missing full-back Nathan Ralph for the next few months after he dislocated his shoulder during Tuesday’s 1-1 draw at Burton Albion.

But, despite appearing to be short of replacements, Campbell is certain he has players who can successfully fill in.

“We have options and I think (Richard) Taylor could easily fit in on the left hand side,” said Campbell.

“There are other options and I think Elvis (Bwomono) will be able to stay where he is, we don’t need to move him.

“It’s not a problem.

“We have a squad and we have to utilise that.”

But Campbell also hopes to have options elsewhere and is hopeful Ethan Hamilton, Brandon Goodship and Stephen McLaughlin will all be fit to feature against the Pirates.

Hamilton missed the trip to Burton with a groin problem while Goodship and McLaughlin both came off against the Brewers after picking up knocks.

However, Campbell hopes they will all be available this weekend.

“Ethan has gone back to his parent club Manchester United and I think he’s got the all clear but we will see how he is,” said Campbell.

“Brandon will hopefully be alright too. He was stretching his groin during the game and maybe he was a bit tired but he did the right thing coming off.

“He’s protected it and hopefully he will be alright for the weekend now along with Stephen McLaughlin.

“He got a knock and at half-time he was groggy and a little bit sick. He didn’t seem right at the start of the second half so we took him off.

“It was the sensible thing to do but he can rest and go again at the weekend.”

And Campbell, whose side are 10 points from safety, is demanding a hardworking display against the Pirates who sit just one place below the play-offs.

“We’ve got to work hard again and keep on probing,” said Campbell.

“We also have to see the space and see our runners. We got into some good situations at Burton but we didn’t capatilise on them. We need to work harder and we have to be better with our last pass too.”

Blues have Mark Milligan available again after he served a one-match ban.

Link

Come On You Yellows!

The Big Preview

Bristol Rovers vs Southend United

Bristol Rovers v SUFC Big Preview.jpg
Overview

Southend United are back on the road again tomorrow afternoon as they travel down to the Memorial Stadium to take on Bristol Rovers.

The two sides exchanged away victories last season with a solitary Tom Hopper goal securing Southend a vital three points last season against The Gas back in August.

Led by former Blues assistant Graham Coughlan, Rovers returned the favour with a 2-1 win at Roots Hall and they’ll be looking for another win to keep tabs on the top six.

Form

Blues’ point on the road at Burton Albion in midweek ended a run of five defeats in a row in the league as Southend picked up their first league point under boss Sol Campbell.

Prior to the draw at the Pirelli Stadium, Southend had picked up just the one point from their previous nine league matches with their only win of the campaign coming at MK Dons in September.

Bristol Rovers have steadied the ship after three league games without a win, beating Rochdale and Shrewsbury on the road before beating Leyton Orient on penalties in the Leasing.com Trophy.

Last Meeting

Saturday 2nd February 2019

Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

Cox 39’; Sercombe 20’, Reilly 32’

Former Blues assistant Graham Coughlan returned with his Bristol Rovers side to secure three points for the visitors with goals from Liam Sercombe and Gavin Reilly the difference.

A mistake at the back led to Sercombe’s opener before Reilly scored on the counter-attack. Simon Cox grabbed one back before the break, but Rovers held on to secure all three points.

Blues Team News

Nathan Ralph is expected to be out for a prolonged period of time after the Blues full-back suffered a dislocated shoulder in the 1-1 draw at Burton Albion in midweek.

Brandon Goodship was also withdrawn Tuesday night at the Pirelli Stadium with a slight groin problem but is expected to be available again, as will Mark Milligan who returns from suspension.

Ethan Hamilton returned to his parent club, Manchester United, in the week to get treatment on a groin injury and he will be assessed on Friday prior to the trip to the Memorial Stadium.

Rovers Danger Man

Striker Jonson Clarke-Harris has had a stop-start campaign due to injury but whenever he’s on the pitch he has been by far Rovers’ biggest threat in front of goal and one to look out for on Saturday.

After joining the club in January, Clarke-Harris ended last season with 11 goals in his last 15 appearances and has already notched nine in 17 in all competitions this term.

That’s despite missing around eight weeks of action across October and November due to separate calf injuries, the most recent of which he returned from last weekend.

Ref Watch

James Oldham will be the man in the middle of Saturday’s clash, being assisted by Hristo Karaivanov and Marvyn Amphlett, with Steven Plane the fourth official.

This is Oldham’s first season in the Football League having spent last season in the National League where he ended his campaign by officiating the Play-Off Final between AFC Fylde and Salford City.

It’ll, therefore, be the first time Oldham has taken charge of either side tomorrow afternoon and, so far this campaign, he’s officiated 12 matches, issuing 41 yellow cards and three reds.

Away Fans Guide

Rovers’ Memorial Stadium has a capacity of just over 12,000 and is made up of an eclectic mix of stands which gives the ground a very unique look.

Those Blues fans going to tomorrow’s game will find themselves either in the terraced portion of the East Stand or in the corner of the seated South Stand behind the goal.

For more information on the ground, including info on travel directions, where to park and where to go for a pre-match drink, check out awaygames.co.uk’s guide by clicking here.

Tickets

Tickets will be available to collect from the Away Ticket Booth at the ground where you can also purchase tickets on the day at no increased charge.

Full text can be found here:-
Link

Come On You Yellows!

There will be a minute's silence prior to kick-off to remember Rovers legend, Stuart Taylor.

We also ask supporters to join us in a minute's applause on the 72nd minute.

EGhIIVrXYAAFNDJ.jpg
RIP Stuart

r-KZcFty_400x400.jpg
Bristol Rovers home game against Southend United will be their annual Stonewall 'Rainbow Laces' game.

The Gas will be showing their support for the 'Rainbow Laces' campaign with honorary pendants and flags used throughout Saturday's game.

Players will also be encouraged to wear the signature rainbow laces in support of making football an LGBTQ+ inclusive environment, the captain will also sport a Stonewall armband on the day.

Stonewall are a charity focused on inclusion and acceptance, and football is a place where people should be able to go and be part of something greater, regardless of sexuality.

We ask fans to be respectful of the cause Stonewall stand for, and to ensure that they do their bit to make sport everyone's game.

Anybody else wonder if Milligan has a clause in his contract where he has to play in every League game he is available for?

4-5-1, I would say.

Not sure Hutch for Milligan will go down well.

Sounds like he is going for something a bit tighter in front of the back-line.

What it might also do is allow Goodship to drift in a little more central, in an advanced position, effectively playing him and Macca behind Hopper, with Mantom linking up and Milligan and Demi in front of the back-line.

Ffs why Milligan for Hutch!!!! Let's hope i am wrong with this selection cant see it though

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell has made two changes to his starting line-up for this afternoon’s clash at Bristol Rovers.

More...

I see former Neighbours star, Mark Little, is playing for Bristol Rovers.

Back