• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Bristol Rovers have drawn 4 of their last 5 games, but had a good 2-0 win over Oxford last Saturday. They currently sit in 10th place in FL1, 3 points behind the Blues, so it's probably time for Southend to step on the GAS I think.

It will be interesting to see what the master tactician does with the midfield, as he certainly has a lot to think about in that area.

I'm going for:

Smith

Demetriou Thompson Ferdinand Coker

Atkinson Lenny Timlin MsLaughlin

Cox Ranger (if fit, or Robinson, if not).

Last edited:
Bristol Rovers have drawn 4 of their last 5 games, but had a good 2-0 win over Oxford last Saturday. They currently sit in 10th place in FL1, 5 points behind the Blues, so it's probably time for Southend to step on the GAS I think.

It will be interesting to see what the master tactician does with the midfield, as he certainly has a lot to think about in that area.

I'm going for:

Smith

Demetriou Thompson Ferdinand Coker

Atkinson Lenny Timlin MsLaughlin

Cox Ranger (if fit, or Robinson, if not).

I thought they were only 3 points behind us?
Looks like you were thinking of Oxford 5 points behind us. I wish we were playing Oxford again!

Would be surprised to see McLaughlin go straight into the starting eleven but if he can then that's probably the first choice eleven, though I'm not convinced by Ranger. Doubt he'll be fully fit either but plenty of good options in Fortune and Robinson, a rest could do Fortune some good.

Bristol Rovers are always a tough team to play and their strange ground with its tall but narrow stands causes problems on windy days. Not an easy game to predict, but I'm hopeful that our recent lacklustre performances will have galvanised the team into raising their game in front of a fairly large crowd.

This fixture brings back horrendous memories for me. Early 1970s as I recall, took small son (now 52!!) by train to Eastville to watch our beloved team. Lost 0-4, could and should have been double. Still have nightmares about that one. Things will be different this weekend. COYBB

With Bradford very likely to beat poor old Coventry we really need to win this one.

Smith
Demetirou Fernidnand Thomson Coker
Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth McCloughlin
Cox Fortune

I am sure we can get 60 minutes out of Macca, and Timlin or McGlashan can come on to replace him depending on the game situation.
Ranger wont be fit enough. Tempted to start Robinson away from home on a big pitch. Use his pace to run the channels are get behind the defence.

Must win game this. Very hard place to go too. If we don't win then I fear our season maybe over.

They are actually undefeated in 8 (only 2 wins though) having drawn against Bolton, Scunthorpe, Sheff Utd, Bradford and Rochdale in that run. Only conceded 4 in those 8 games so will be very hard to beat. 1-1 if we manage to score; 1-0 if we don't.

Must win game this. Very hard place to go too. If we don't win then I fear our season maybe over.
Yep it's looking that way. If we don't win on Saturday then we are probably going to have to win 7 out of our last ten games to even be in with a chance of 6th place. That's a very tough ask.

It isn't really in our own hands even now. It all depends on Millwall and their two games in hand (after next Tuesday). Hopefully Spurs will thrash them senseless on Saturday and they'll take 3 or 4 games to recover.

Alternatively if the Lions beat the Spurs they'll be so concerned not to pick up an injury that they won't gather another league point.

Got to win this one....looking forward to the trip on TZ of course.
See people dropping Wordsworth and it's hard to argue against that.....but we do not have a midfielder with such attacking effectiveness...tough call.

Tough game this one, has score draw written all over it

Really need the 3 points though or we lose touch, so we need a 'Peterborough performance' and more width this time !

What happened to Hines? Never got a look in really?

Would be surprised to see McLaughlin go straight into the starting eleven but if he can then that's probably the first choice eleven, though I'm not convinced by Ranger. Doubt he'll be fully fit either but plenty of good options in Fortune and Robinson, a rest could do Fortune some good.

I think I understand what you may be considering; however if MacL starts and does his stuff and comes off when he has blown then McG is a ready sub: and that order of playing them may be best, IMO, than the using MacL as sub option.

It isn't really in our own hands even now. It all depends on Millwall and their two games in hand (after next Tuesday). Hopefully Spurs will thrash them senseless on Saturday and they'll take 3 or 4 games to recover.

Alternatively if the Lions beat the Spurs they'll be so concerned not to pick up an injury that they won't gather another league point.

Or alternatively, if Millwall draw with Spurs....a mix of pending excitement, and fatigue, may set in :unsure:

Or alternatively, if Millwall draw with Spurs....a mix of pending excitement, and fatigue, may set in :unsure:
No replays in the FA Cup from this round onwards. They would have an extra 30 mins to play on the day and then straight to penalties.

Back