• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Bristol Rovers vs Southend United 7th December 2019 15:00hrs ko

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell hopes to have Ethan Hamilton, Brandon Goodship and Stephen McLaughlin available for Saturday's trip to Bristol Rovers.

More...

Large

Another away match and another opportunity to pick up points with a good display against Graham Coughlan's Bristol team. Normal pre-match stuff, team selections, result prediction, tactics, formations and so much more.

What a shame that Ralph is out, he had such a good game at Burton including a superb goal line tackle. So the central midfield partnership that worked harder and looked better than most we’ve had this year (or last!) looks like being broken up so Dimi can play left back.

I’ve gone with Ox in goal but his Southend career looks truly over, so I’m not sure if we’ll see him. Apart from that, in desperation I’ve gone with Milligan to partner Mantom in central midfield and I’ve opted to start Humpy up top with Hops instead of Hutch (although we would miss the latter’s dead ball delivery).

Even with the changes I do have a little bit of hope that we might be able to compete again. So I’m going for a 2-1 win for us this time with Lady Luck once more returning to our side.

Demi is even more reluctant/comes behind Elvis in the queue to play LB. And Elvis has repeatedly shown he cant play LB and that his left foot is solely for standing on. Neither will play LB as the following all could, are all left footed and would do a better job (accepting Lennon is in the dog house)

Macca
Taylor
Lennon
Clifford
Play 5 at back with Macca wing back

All of these before repeating the calamity of non left footed RBs playing LB (badly). Dont know about Lennon but all the others have played LB at some point.

Tricky one, I'd go for:

Oxley​

Elvis Kiernan Dieng Clifford

Demi Hamilton Mantom Macca

Hutch

Hopper
Keeping the same shape as Tuesday night, but with Demi switched wide (in place of Goodship) and Hamilton coming back into the middle (if fit). I'd give young Tom Clifford a chance at Left Back - it's his position and he's been highly rate for a while now.

Last edited:
Tricky one, I'd go for:

Elvis Kiernan Dieng Clifford

Demi Hamilton Mantom Macca

Hutch

Hopper
Keeping the same shape as Tuesday night, but with Demi switched wide (in place of Goodship) and Hamilton coming back into the middle (if fit). I'd give young Tom Clifford a chance at Left Back - it's his position and he's been highly rate for a while now.

I know it hasn’t been a strength for us recently, but I do think we need a keeper (just my personal view)!

I know it hasn’t been a strength for us recently, but I do think we need a keeper (just my personal view)!

Oops - sorry! Edited now. I know he's out of favour with some, but I think we should be sticking with our player of the season from 2 years ago, rather than exposing young Nathan too much. I know many others will disagree though and I think Sol will be looking to move Oxley on and bring in a new more experienced no.1

Oxley
Bwomono - Dieng - Kiernan - Lennon (or Clifford)
Demi - Hutchinson - Mantom - McLaughlin
Hopper - Goodship

Subs - Cox - Acquah - Humphreys - Hamilton - Bishop - Taylor - Kinali

GRAHAM Coughlan and Kevin Maher face Southend United still feeling frustrated they did not get more of an opportunity with the Shrimpers.

More...

Back