• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil has been far too cautious.
Tactically we are a mess concerning attacking intent.
We now need 2 points a game to claim 3rd.

Progress sadly not Imo even though we beat from 12th down as soon as we play a decent team it's defend defend defend,even our own players have had sort of snide pops at the tactics in their media interviews.

If brown fails to get promotion then he wont be in the job next year simple as that, however its looking better at the moment but who knows what will happen.will we keep our loanees? Etc we could hit our normal bad patch abd drop away

Is there a camp for people who neither want Brown out, or are particularly impressed with the job he is doing? I fall into that one and I have agreed with various posts from both sides. YB's point about the incredible injury crisis we had during the time of Sturrock's sacking is particularly valid and one which seems to have been forgotten. But I don't particularly want to dwell on the past and think Phil is trying to do the right things, he just hasn't got there yet.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and pick some splinters out of my backside.

The Brown out brigade haven't vanished, all that's happened is Browns stopped playing stupid tactics and gone back to a simple 442... Pretty much what the Brown out brigade were after.

Brown out brigade and the Phil haters are two phrases which are plain silly.

I would be shocked if anyone actually hated Phil as a person,his tactics yes but not him personally.Brown out well I have hardly seen it on here to be honest.

The Brown out brigade haven't vanished, all that's happened is Browns stopped playing stupid tactics and gone back to a simple 442... Pretty much what the Brown out brigade were after.

Glasd that he has seen sense and changed the formation, however, time to judge should be at the end of the season. Failure to get promotion this season with the resources been made available would still have to be questioned

Glasd that he has seen sense and changed the formation, however, time to judge should be at the end of the season. Failure to get promotion this season with the resources been made available would still have to be questioned

I cannot see where Phil goes if he fails this season IMHO.

This comment is wrong though isnt it. Because what youre saying is, we could play 442 and lose and people wouldnt be on his back.

The reason is that we are winning. Formations are irrelevant. Wins keep managers employed not formations.

This comment is wrong though isnt it. Because what youre saying is, we could play 442 and lose and people wouldnt be on his back.

The reason is that we are winning. Formations are irrelevant. Wins keep managers employed not formations.

Fans are not stupid,after 90 odd games in charge the paying public demand more for their money and not 0 0 bore draws.

Fans are not stupid,after 90 odd games in charge the paying public demand more for their money and not 0 0 bore draws.

I think you're wrong there mrsblue. Fans would still be unhappy if we lost 5-4 every week.
TTS is quite correct, fans are happy if we're winning but chuck in a few games where we turn on the style, as we can, then most are happy.

The natural state of a football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score'.
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch

I think you're wrong there mrsblue. Fans would still be unhappy if we lost 5-4 every week.
TTS is quite correct, fans are happy if we're winning but chuck in a few games where we turn on the style, as we can, then most are happy.

The natural state of a football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score'.
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch

The truth is we rarely score let alone win or lose 5 4 !,yes we play in league 2 where the standard isn't great but surely the dross we have seen at the Hall for sometime now is testing the patience of the most ardent fan of all time.

Thats what I said, ie the formation has nothing to do with a manager being popular, wins do !

But actually, i disagree with you. If Southend won every home game this season 1-0 and the games are boring to watch, for me it would be a side issue. Football is a results business, especially in this league and we must do all we can to get out of it. As Ive said before I would rather see us win a boring game 1-0 rather than lose a thriller 3-2

I cannot see where Phil goes if he fails this season IMHO.

Because in my view he has been supported by RM more than Sturrock was, been given resources, even money to spend. This squad should be good enough to get out this league, therefore if we fail again like last season then i would rather not watch another season with him in charge. PS got sacked for being in a similar position, with less resources and after getting us to Wembley

Glad we are playing 2 up top but last season our best run came when we was playing 4-3-3 that said this season most teams will take a point V us so playing 2 up to helps keep the oppositions defenders busy and helps create abit more space in front of the defence.

Thats what I said, ie the formation has nothing to do with a manager being popular, wins do !

But actually, i disagree with you. If Southend won every home game this season 1-0 and the games are boring to watch, for me it would be a side issue. Football is a results business, especially in this league and we must do all we can to get out of it. As Ive said before I would rather see us win a boring game 1-0 rather than lose a thriller 3-2

Indeed, we had a thread when Sturrock was here about whether people would prefer to play entertaining football and finish midtable or get promoted playing dull football. Thing is plenty of people said they would, which is ridiculous as football isnt entertining if you lose too many. The odd game you might think was entertaining, but it would wear thin very quickly.

That said even winning often doesnt help completely if the football is bad, I posted a link to a thread the other day where we were 2nd in the table in the midst of Sturrocks best ever run where most people complained how dire it was.

The funny thing is we have been playing 2 strikers for some time now and people are suddenly happy because a few goals have actually gone in, but we arent creating any more chances than we were prior, yet because the ball actually went in rather than wide perceptions are totally different.

Because in my view he has been supported by RM more than Sturrock was, been given resources, even money to spend. This squad should be good enough to get out this league, therefore if we fail again like last season then i would rather not watch another season with him in charge. PS got sacked for being in a similar position, with less resources and after getting us to Wembley

PS got sacked because we werent even going to make the playoffs.

Should we get to Wembley and lose out on penalties would that justify his sacking?

Indeed, we had a thread when Sturrock was here about whether people would prefer to play entertaining football and finish midtable or get promoted playing dull football. Thing is plenty of people said they would, which is ridiculous as football isnt entertining if you lose too many. The odd game you might think was entertaining, but it would wear thin very quickly.

That said even winning often doesnt help completely if the football is bad, I posted a link to a thread the other day where we were 2nd in the table in the midst of Sturrocks best ever run where most people complained how dire it was.

The funny thing is we have been playing 2 strikers for some time now and people are suddenly happy because a few goals have actually gone in, but we arent creating any more chances than we were prior, yet because the ball actually went in rather than wide perceptions are totally different.

Should we get to Wembley and lose out on penalties would that justify his sacking?

I would suggest that if we do not get promoted then RM and PB will probably have a meeting of sorts. Does anyone know if this magical 4 year contract has been signed or even offered yet. If not then im guessing that RM is waiting for the outcome of this season before he committs to PB. If we get promoted then PB will get my full support, he would have done well considering some of the **** served up this season. Having been at both Oxford and Pompey i sincerely hope that we can replicate some of that form at home. If we dont get promoted i think its fair to question PB future at the club.

As for PS, he worked miracles in his time here taking into consideration that constraints that he worked under.

Is there a camp for people who neither want Brown out, or are particularly impressed with the job he is doing? I fall into that one and I have agreed with various posts from both sides. YB's point about the incredible injury crisis we had during the time of Sturrock's sacking is particularly valid and one which seems to have been forgotten. But I don't particularly want to dwell on the past and think Phil is trying to do the right things, he just hasn't got there yet.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and pick some splinters out of my backside.

I know what you mean.

Whilst it may not seem the case I wasn't trying to dwell on the past, merely trying to establish where we were to see if we've moved forward.

We weren't going to the play-offs because we were without Timlin, Tomlin, Barker, Phillips and countless other players. We couldn't even field two centre-halves and had to recall Mohsni from the wilderness and then after he was suspended first game back we ended up having to play Spillane at centre-back.

Not to mention all those other loanees we needed to make up the numbers like Danny Mayor, Ben Reeves etc. Difference between now and then was that now we choose to play the loanees - we didn't have a choice back then.

I think it depends how we end the season, end with a bit of momentum and failing in the play-offs might not be the end for him.

Time will tell, who knows, might not even need the play offs. Hmmn.

Back