• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

These fans coming on here mocking anyone who dared to question Phil's methods are jokers.

I very rarely agree with you but this is spot on. Claiming anyone who has questioned Brown's methods wants us to lose is a very bizarre thing to say.

This is a forum for debate and Brown has got it wrong on plenty of occasions this season, he has also got it right a lot too. Why people have to take such polarised positions on Brown is beyond me.

I've never understood the value of threads like this.Some of the vitriol and comments that then follow just get so wound up. We won a football match well last night, surely the time for criticism of each other is when we get tanked, a la Rochdale? Sometimes the need to score points against other posters seems more important than the opinions of others.

I've never understood the value of threads like this.Some of the vitriol and comments that then follow just get so wound up. We won a football match well last night, surely the time for criticism of each other is when we get tanked, a la Rochdale? Sometimes the need to score points against other posters seems more important the opinions of others.

Spot on,

We are all fans and we all want the team to win,point scoring on here at times can be tiresome.

We'd have all taken a top half finish before the start of the season I'm sure. Phil's done well but the answer to why we aren't a play off prospect for me is two simple facts. 1, inconsistency and the player appearance stats are pretty damning on this. PB doesn't know his best XI. 2, a lack of a 15+ goalscorer, though that's much dependent on point 1 holding true

and

3) We arent actually as good as some think we are.

Always thought we were punching above our weight a bit and didn't see that a play-off finish as the likely finish.

The fact we were up there and thereabouts meant expecations were raised and to finish lower to some feels like a failure.
Not for me, even if we finish 10th-12th its been a good season, 3 teams finished above us last season and two of them are below us this year.

Orient went down last year and Col U are going down this year (bar some miracle) and we are at worst competing for a play off place.

We are 8th in League 1 after gaining promotion via possibly the greatest moments in in 110 years!
Any anti-Brown rhetoric is purely personal stuff and cannot possibly have anything to do with his overall performance since becoming manager of Southend United!

I've never understood the value of threads like this.Some of the vitriol and comments that then follow just get so wound up. We won a football match well last night, surely the time for criticism of each other is when we get tanked, a la Rochdale? Sometimes the need to score points against other posters seems more important than the opinions of others.

Ok, I apologise that I come down to their level. Had a few drinks and was on the wind up last night.

The thing is I'm not even that pro Brown but because some on here only want to abuse Brown after a defeat I feel the urge to stick up for him. I've thought Brown has made some weird decisions. Some wrong, some right. Is there any manager who has got every decision right? Overall though he has done a very good job. The fact is we got promoted under him and have established ourselves in this league nicely.

I guess I need to except that some just use shrimperzone as a moan forum to let their frustration out.

and

3) We arent actually as good as some think we are.

Always thought we were punching above our weight a bit and didn't see that a play-off finish as the likely finish.

The fact we were up there and thereabouts meant expecations were raised and to finish lower to some feels like a failure.
Not for me, even if we finish 10th-12th its been a good season, 3 teams finished above us last season and two of them are below us this year.

Orient went down last year and Col U are going down this year (bar some miracle) and we are at worst competing for a play off place.

and 4) weve had some injuries which havent helped.

If you don't like Brown and want him out please remind yourselves of the odds on promotion that were offered pre-season and how they compared to our competitors. Phil Brown has outperformed.

Some system changes have been forced by injury, but I agree that it would be nice to have a settled side and idea or plan.

The disappointing thing is that many of the purchases and loans have failed to deliver.

For every Barnett, there's been a string of disappointments.

Last night's side featured 9 players who played in League 2 last season, plus McLaughlin, who featured a couple of times and Barnett.

Even the 2 of the 3 subs we used were regulars last season.

We've learned a lot this season and should be stronger for the experience, so we get the right players in/out in the summer.

One thing for sure is that we are good enough at this level and actually look a better side, because the opposition is better.

The positive is we have a relatively good squad the vast majority of whom can perform at L1 level having often come up from L2. The negative is the with most of the squad there is very little often between them other than fitness and form. Hence, getting the optimum line up is tough- certainly no-one on here could do better as there are as many different permutations week to week as posters. It would be easier if we had 15 stand out players of better quality and then 10 youngsters/journeyman of lesser quality but can do a job. Then picking the side would be easier.

But if you are building for the long term you want strength and quality in depth increasing the strength further by bringing in on average better players than you let go? This is not the quick way to the top but probably more sustainable as we are not over reliant on a handful of key players.

Leicester has done brilliantly- they have the small squad of players making up the optimum line up, few selection worries as a result but have been very fortunate with injuries. Had they been unlucky and had 7-8 out then what is left is mid table at best. But they don't care because they will be top four at the very very very worst, have a huge increase in income and now be able to bolster the squad significantly.

The question is what is the right way for us- put all the money into the few and make picking the team easier then pray we don't get any injuries because if we do we are stuffed? Not sure what the right balance is short term..

Brown , Holloway and Sheff Utd manager all made a big thing about consistency, bemoaning the lack of it and saying how it had strongly impacted on their season and promotional chances
I like Brown, as most of us on here, I think he has done a very good job. The however bit though is also about looking in the mirror on the consistency issue and reviewing just how often you have put out a fairly consistent eleven?
I know they are all professionals but it cant be easy when 3, 4 or 5 changes are regularly made, or the system is changed so often? Players also shift from being in the side to not making the bench or being shifted out, whilst the next tranche of 3 or 4 loanees come in. So whilst bemoaning the lack of consistency perhaps Mr Brown might just review his own performance a little in this regard.
Leicester also dont seem to need 12 or 13 midfielders to placate?

You guys might want "Brown in" because rumours at our end is that John Carver is being lined up for the Bolton job now.

You guys might want "Brown in" because rumours at our end is that John Carver is being lined up for the Bolton job now.

Maybe Brown is lining himself up with a role on the board - in the mould of the great Barry Fry

Back