• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Pier

Manager
As has now been reported in todays Echo. can see this either way, that he is confident of staying on as manager or if he's not and he goes,perhaps the shareholder bit allows him to still cash in at the club, new monies and maybe monies owed. over to you guys n ladies to discuss.
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

Shareholder in a club that make a massive loss every year, you need a new financial adviser Phil :nope:

Being paid with magic beans would be better than shares in sufc surely?

Assume Phillip knows something we don't know? Either way, I percieve this as great news. A manager that wants to be part of the club, can only be a good thing?

So Ron gives him shares and buys them back when he leaves. Would be great if we were floated on the stock exchange but who values the shares in the first place?

If it all goes pear shaped and Brown is sacked, or if he deserts us, is Ron really going to give him money ? Doesnt sound like the Ron we all know.

So Ron gives him shares and buys them back when he leaves. Would be great if we were floated on the stock exchange but who values the shares in the first place?

If it all goes pear shaped and Brown is sacked, or if he deserts us, is Ron really going to give him money ? Doesnt sound like the Ron we all know.

Nail. On. Head.

As with all private equity, the only way that these shares are actually worth anything is if he can find a buyer willing to pay money for them, which in all likelihood will mean Ron.

Interesting choice of words in Ron's statement to the Echo -

"Phil will be able to cash the shares in and sell them when he leaves the football club and the better he does the more money he will get back".

It's probably me being daft, but this early in the proposed deal I would have expected the word 'if' rather than 'when'. Seemed a bit of a strange word to use.

Interesting choice of words in Ron's statement to the Echo -

"Phil will be able to cash the shares in and sell them when he leaves the football club and the better he does the more money he will get back".

It's probably me being daft, but this early in the proposed deal I would have expected the word 'if' rather than 'when'. Seemed a bit of a strange word to use.

Yeah reading too much into it, every manager leaves the club they are at.

If there was any expectation of him leaving soon there would be no contract being discussed in the first place.

Does he realise that SUFC shares are about as useful as the toilet paper he will wipe his suntanned arse with, right?

I would assume he would be looking to eventually cash in once the new stadium is built. So essentially his great grandson will sell the shares in about 80 years time!

I can't see the article, but what exactly is PB going to be a shareholder of? Is it going to be Southend United, or one of Ron Martin's holding companies?

Do people think PB has accepted a contract based on shares? He probably has a nice salary increase, clauses to get out from higher clubs and assurances over recruitment and the alike.

This share nonsense is good PR, makes the fans think exactly what you're all debating, that PB has SUFC engraved on his chest.

Ultimately, it is good news he is staying, but I doubt very much this was the attraction to continue at our wonderful club.

However, if in the next few years we do get to the Championship and attract interest, those worthless shares might just become worth something.

Anyway, great news Phil. Keep up the good work! 🍤

Some understandable cynicism being expressed but is there really any harm in a deal like this ? Normally making employees stakeholders is seen as a positive move isn't it ?

I'm sure the shares thing is just a bonus that suits Ron Martin and SUFC. Ron knows that Phil will have to do something amazing for those shares to be worth anything. Also it's reliant on the Fossetts move, as the club is leaking money all over the place. So a bonus promised that may never happen, and a carrot and stick to make him try hard.

Some understandable cynicism being expressed but is there really any harm in a deal like this ? Normally making employees stakeholders is seen as a positive move isn't it ?

Waitrose staff certainly think so.

Glass half full alert- apologies to all

I am sure as has been said he has a good contract and this is a performance related earning opportunity on top and more involvement in the running of the club. In the end its a sign of a positive long term plan, and a desire to keep him at the club for at least the full three years- suspect the max pay out would only happen if he saw it through.

For all Ron's faults he commits to managers for the long term

I can't see the article, but what exactly is PB going to be a shareholder of? Is it going to be Southend United, or one of Ron Martin's holding companies?

Nothing is every crystal clear with our club, but the article quotes both Ron and PB as saying he gets shares in Southend United Football Club.

Back