• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With just days until the start of the season, Brown pleads with Ron to let him bolster his depleted squad.

Source: Todays Echo.

Ron won't like Brown going to the media.....I can see a few legal threats being sent Brown's way.

Promotion hopefuls?!?!?! Not last season we wasn't and to be fair, Sturrock was backed fairly well in the second season when we fell short. We blew our beans trying to maintain a promotion push with some shockingly bad January spending by Sturrock (Flood, Baldwin, Martin, Benyon) so I wouldn't say that Sturrock did a magnificent job. He steadied a sinking ship which we will always be grateful for.

This job is even harder in Brown's case with such a threadbare squad - he has a much smaller squad to work with and all of Sturrock's higher earners have left. Harris, Barker (Were trying), Tomlin, Martin, Dickinson, Cresswell, Benyon etc

Not only have we reduced the wage budget, poor PB hasn't even been able to replace the numbers in squad with cheaper players!!!!!

A run of fourteen games (ten league) unbeaten would indicate the contrary...........but let's not go over that old ground again, it's been covered many times before. The worrying thing is, when Paul Sturrock arrived he was able to sign an adequate number of players (wasn't it on pre-contracts?), that were confirmed when the embargo was lifted. It doesn't look as though that facility, for the moment, is open to PB. I think the interesting comparison to make between the two managers is their attitude to tact, professionalism and diplomacy. We very rarely heard much in the way of complaint from Luggy, in spite of all the disruptions off the pitch we knew about (and many that we certainly didn't), Luggy knuckled under under and quietly carried on with the job. I don't get the feeling that Phil Brown is 'the same kettle of fish', which is certainly going to make his tenure an interesting and lively one, for whatever amount of time it lasts.

If he's surprised, he didn't do much "due diligence" before joining. Still when you're desperate for work .....

He wasn't the only one not to do his due diligence. Everyone else saw this coming, why didn't our chairman? He was the one who championed due diligence for signing players, why not when appointing managers?

Anyway, I think Brown may be more likely to go if we get a good start. If we're 4th or something in October he can flounce claiming intolerable working conditions and everyone can say what a good job he did in difficult circumstances. He won't want to do that if we're 18th.

Phil had six months wages up front so well played by him,Lack of backing from the owner will send Phil over the edge in particular if the team starts poorly and finally if Phil's due wages are late he will jump.

I'm no particularly getting at you because many others have stated the same but where did this information about him being paid six months, actually come from and what veracity does it have? I could be wrong but it smells like it could be one of these things that develop from myth and rumour into solid fact........................I know it's extremely unusual for that kind of thing to occur on SZ :winking:.......but I remain rather sceptical about the story.

Well if he wanted a manager that wouldn't speak openly to the media then perhaps he should have gone for someone who isn't on the airwaves every 5 minutes and doesn't enjoy himself so much! This all feels a bit like Groundhog Day. Next step PB gets suspended, Bob Shaw and David Penney depart citing multitude of issues and RM gets cheap option in (being his unstated aim all along). What are the odds on Steve Tilson being back in temporary charge by the end of the month? Both ST and RM thinking 'better the devil you know' and all that. Remember Webb and Jobson.

Actually feel sorry for the man. Obviously he's covering himself, and I don't blame him. The more I see/hear Brown, I do feel if he had the chance to sign players we would have a decent squad and be challenging for a playoff spot. Unfortunately, without any depth and a few injuries/suspensions, we'll be fighting to stay up.

I'm no particularly getting at you because many others have stated the same but where did this information about him being paid six months, actually come from and what veracity does it have? I could be wrong but it smells like it could be one of these things that develop from myth and rumour into solid fact........................I know it's extremely unusual for that kind of thing to occur on SZ :winking:.......but I remain rather sceptical about the story.

I have read that on here several times and nobody rubbished it so I assume it was true.

Southend United manager Phil Brown pleads with chairman Ron Martin to let him bolster

SOUTHEND United have just 11 fully fit senior players with less than a week to go until the start of the League Two season.

More...

A run of fourteen games (ten league) unbeaten would indicate the contrary...........but let's not go over that old ground again, it's been covered many times before. The worrying thing is, when Paul Sturrock arrived he was able to sign an adequate number of players (wasn't it on pre-contracts?), that were confirmed when the embargo was lifted. It doesn't look as though that facility, for the moment, is open to PB. I think the interesting comparison to make between the two managers is their attitude to tact, professionalism and diplomacy. We very rarely heard much in the way of complaint from Luggy, in spite of all the disruptions off the pitch we knew about (and many that we certainly didn't), Luggy knuckled under under and quietly carried on with the job. I don't get the feeling that Phil Brown is 'the same kettle of fish', which is certainly going to make his tenure an interesting and lively one, for whatever amount of time it lasts.

I would of preferred it if previous managers had stood up for themself and publicly blamed Ron Martin. I wish Tilson and Sturrock did this when decisions were taken out of their hands by that clown.

This club only has a future without Martin involved. Everyone should be doing there best to rid of him.

Phil Brown has got media skills, but I think his desperate plea is more than simply covering his rear-end. I think he feels he has diligently gone about his job and been double-crossed in the process.

“If I had carte blanche to bring in who I wanted then I would have signed two of them by now already,” said Brown.

Well that suggests to me that Brown can sign players, knows there is a limit and is not just jumping at the first that come along. He is clearly ensuring that each spot he has is filled by his preferences as opposed to desperation. Personally I see nothing unduly alarming in the article.

If you repeat a thing enough times, people will believe it to be true...........now, where have I heard that before? :smile:

It is largely attributed to Joseph Goebells.

Although that may not be true, but as people keep saying it, it is believed to be the case.

“If I had carte blanche to bring in who I wanted then I would have signed two of them by now already,” said Brown.

Well that suggests to me that Brown can sign players, knows there is a limit and is not just jumping at the first that come along. He is clearly ensuring that each spot he has is filled by his preferences as opposed to desperation. Personally I see nothing unduly alarming in the article.

I don't know about alarming but there certainly seems to me something contradictory about these two statements.

“If I had carte blanche to bring in who I wanted then I would have signed two of them by now already,” said Brown, who is likely to mean Clifford and Cowan.

“But if we bring people in then it could block things up for other players who become available.”

If we haven't signed more players by Saturday morning, I'll be concerned.

Still a few days to go, and we know that RM prefers not to pay for things until necessary. Perhaps he believes that subs are not necessary until matchday.

I don't know about alarming but there certainly seems to me something contradictory about these two statements.

“If I had carte blanche to bring in who I wanted then I would have signed two of them by now already,” said Brown, who is likely to mean Clifford and Cowan.

“But if we bring people in then it could block things up for other players who become available.”

Sorry but for me it does not contradict.He is clearly saying he knows the limit upon the size of the squad and so is keeping his options open in the hope he fills each slot with the best he can get, rather than signing players that are available only to find he could have improved upon them.

It is largely attributed to Joseph Goebells.

Although that may not be true, but as people keep saying it, it is believed to be the case.

Joseph Goebells certainly sounds alarming.

Sorry but for me it does not contradict.He is clearly saying he knows the limit upon the size of the squad and so is keeping his options open in the hope he fills each slot with the best he can get, rather than signing players that are available only to find he could have improved upon them.

Yep, I suppose it depends which way you read it. If what I've read on here is to be believed Clifford would be a valuable addition to the squad with the plus factor of possibly selling him on in a few years time. If it were the start of July I would find this stance a little more reasonable but with only days away from the start of the new season, I find it more difficult to believe or understand. Rather like someone going away on holiday Saturday, searching for a last minute flight and with good offers at hand, you still wait for something better to turn up................sounds a dodgy, if not downright dangerous, strategy to me.

Yep, I suppose it depends which way you read it. If what I've read on here is to be believed Clifford would be a valuable addition to the squad with the plus factor of possibly selling him on in a few years time. If it were the start of July I would find this stance a little more reasonable but with only days away from the start of the new season, I find it more difficult to believe or understand. Rather like someone going away on holiday Saturday, searching for a last minute flight and with good offers at hand, you still wait for something better to turn up................sounds a dodgy, if not downright dangerous, strategy to me.

I agree with your point in that time is obviously a factor right now. Perhaps Brown is confident that Clifford and Cowan are not going anywhere until he decides and maybe he has a list of identified targets that if acquired may take him over his available slots.

You are right of course that the situation is not ideal. We would all love to see a settled squad through preseason, all getting to know each other and how they play, but sometimes getting numbers in is not for the best. Quality rather than quantity.

I guess we will see in the fullness of time. UTB

Back