• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brussels

Frightening to think this can happen in a country that's presumably been on a particularly high terror alert for at least the last 3 months.

Scary stuff, serious action needs to be taken at all airports now because, before you've gone through security, they are just sitting targets.

Terrible news. I suggest outside security checks before you get anywhere near the terminal will now come into force.

Not yet officially confirmed, but the fatalities are reported on social media as 13 with 35 severely injured. That's for the airport blasts, no mention on the Metro one yet.

Terrible news. I suggest outside security checks before you get anywhere near the terminal will now come into force.

In which case you would just have a build up of people there and that would be the perfect place to set off a device. The same with any train/underground station or shopping centre.

In which case you would just have a build up of people there and that would be the perfect place to set off a device. The same with any train/underground station or shopping centre.

Tel Aviv airport has had perimeter security for years. All cars, taxis etc are checked before they actually get inside the airport perimeter. There are often queues, but they're like toll booths on a motorway and you don't have to queue for too long. Someone could indeed let off a bomb there, but it would do far less damage and most likely, the only people that would be killed are the bombers themselves.

I'm not sure how it works with public transport though as I've never used it to get to the airport, but I'd be amazed if they haven't thought of that too.

Last edited:
That might be possible at some airports like Stansted which only has a few road and rail connections and Infact they do sometimes have random spot checks on the main road to the terminal but even that is easy to avoid.

I would think virtually impossible to do full perimeter checks at somewhere like Heathrow. They would have to reduce the number of flights and even then the whole area would grind to a halt for 24 hours a day. I doubt the tube/train system would then be able to cope with the extra passengers trying to avoid the traffic chaos.

I can't see an easy option for the large airports.

I think you can set up all the security that you want. But committed terrorists will still find ways to commit mass murders and atrocities.

Also, I think terrorists want us to make changes to security - they want us to live in fear and to always be reminded of the threat as we go out and about.

My lunch has been ruined today as the guy I was going with is a placing broker for the Belgian government.

That's got to be a pretty good effort at making it all about me?

Just wait for Barna to turn up/wake up. He's the master...

My lunch has been ruined today as the guy I was going with is a placing broker for the Belgian government.

That's got to be a pretty good effort at making it all about me?

In that case, spare a thought for me. I had to listen to a guy in the lift at work tell me all about it for the 20 seconds it took to get from the ground to the sixth floor.

As has been said you will never stop a committed suicide bomber or terrorist carrying out atrocities like this. Sure you can make it as difficult as possible for them but there does come a point when social mobility and freedom of movement prevents the kind of checks and balances that would be needed to make a serious dent in their capabilities.

What's the answer? I have absolutely no idea. I fear there isn't one. I've said this before on other threads on other forums but I'll say it again here. You can't defeat an extreme ideology with security measures, arrests and jail terms. These types of atrocities perpetrated by individuals and groups of individuals on completely innocent civilians will continue to happen for many many years to come. We here in the UK will have another 7/7 at some point, France will have another Bataclan and Brussels will suffer again sometime in the future, that is a certainty.

My Mrs and myself once went to Brussels. Although we didn't make any long term friends, my Mrs is in shock and worried about people we may have met or passed in the street.
Im just posting this to beat Barma to it.

Meanwhile Brussels transport officials are saying that 15 died at Maelbeek and media report 11 dead at the airport.

Back