• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brussels

Where abouts is the line, west of which we start caring about these atrocities? Somewhere like Budapest I would suggest. I'm as much from Ankara as I am Brussels. Guess it's a lot closer to home, hence my point about the line. Also with Turkey being 'a Muslim country' there is a reduced sense of sympathy for civilian fatalities. Hmmmm, doesn't sit well with me at all.

Not just Turkey, there's car bombs and suicide bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc on a daily basis that take 100s of lives but barely make a couple of lines in the papers or a 30sec mention on the BBC.

As you say, Brussels and Paris and their citizens look more like London than a market in Baghdad so it's gets more attention.

I haven't been for a while but I know at Belfast airport during the troubles you had to have your cases screened before entering the terminal. The system worked well. The secret is to have plenty of X-ray machines so that queues don't form.

The security services have just started to train for up to 10 simultaneous attacks on London. lets be careful out there.

Remember a similar system in operation at Moscow airport a few years back.There were huge queues outside the airport.As others have pointed out they're a magnet for suicide bombers.And yes there were plenty of X-ray machines in operation once you got into the terminal building.

Remember a similar system in operation at Moscow airport a few years back.There were huge queues outside the airport.As others have pointed out they're a magnet for suicide bombers.And yes there were plenty of X-ray machines in operation once you got into the terminal building.

St Petersburg as well back in 2009 when I went - but inside there were beer vending machines, which was cool.

I travelled through Moscow about 2 years ago for work, remember security being very tight - took a long time to get through security, we had our bags scanned and searched twice going outbound.

However you could still have theoretically walked into the terminal, left a suitcase (with explosives) near the checkout desk and walked away unoticed...

the real security nightmares are places like Bluewater and Lakeside

I travelled through Moscow about 2 years ago for work, remember security being very tight - took a long time to get through security, we had our bags scanned and searched twice going outbound.

However you could still have theoretically walked into the terminal, left a suitcase (with explosives) near the checkout desk and walked away unoticed...

the real security nightmares are places like Bluewater and Lakeside

Not to mention The Royals and Victoria Shopping Centre.

Where abouts is the line, west of which we start caring about these atrocities? Somewhere like Budapest I would suggest. I'm as much from Ankara as I am Brussels. Guess it's a lot closer to home, hence my point about the line. Also with Turkey being 'a Muslim country' there is a reduced sense of sympathy for civilian fatalities. Hmmmm, doesn't sit well with me at all.
This is a good point and I'm uneasy with it to.

Why didn't Wembley light up with the Turkish flag, after the Ankara attacks a couple of weeks ago (that killed a lot more people)? Seems some lives matter more than others to the media.

And now in Lahore as well. Christian families and children targeted in a park. Over 7O killed.

And another 40 odd in Iraq at a football tounament. That's a lot of flags to fly and a lot of gatherings at Trafalgar Square.

Sadly many of them children aged 10 to 16 as they collected their trophies. You can picture a scene of family joy just seconds before as I'm sure most of us have been in that same scenario as a child or adult.

I would like to see the world of football speak out. I doubt they will

Back