• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Our five home regular League games against Burton have produced one win, two draws and two defeats - a good time to even things up. They have also produced just a miserly 5 goals with both of ours being scored by Barry Corr three years apart; also 3 red cards, 2 to us.

On Monday we have a referee who many consider is a shoo-in for the Select Group of Premiership referees. The man in charge is Paul Tierney from Wigan, a referee in his seventh year who we haven't seen a great deal of, although last season he did the York/Southend fixture for the second consecutive year.

He has refereed us five times before.

Firstly, the 2-0 win at Bradford City in 2010/11 when Clohessey was sent off (there were 3 yellows apiece in addition to Clohessey's red) and more recently in the 1-0 home defeat to Burton in 2011/12 when he showed 4 yellows to the visitors and one to Kalala. Then came the fist of the two York Away matches in 2013/14 when there were no goals, 2 yellows for York and one for Big Bad Barry.

Next was the home leg of the play-off against Burton when he did us no particular favours (litotes alert) in a less than impressive performance. Yellows for Egan and Timlin and 4 of theirs.

Finally our 3-2 away win at York last season with yellows for Binnon-Williams, Thompson and Deegan and one of theirs.

A referee who is obviously highly rated, he has already refereed three matches in the Premiership this season and the majority of the rest of his games have been in the Championship. His 29 matches have seen a decidedly average 85 yellows and 2 reds.

Assisting will be Nigel Lugg from Coulsdon, Surrey and Carl Brook from St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex. Fourth Official is a proper referee as the match is televised and he will be Andy Woolmer from Northampton who has just been appointed to referee the JPT Final at Wembley in recognition of his long and steady service.

Let's hope nothing happens and Woolmer has to come on then, didn't Brown have a run in (ok, I know he has done with most we've had!) earlier this season with him?

Let's hope nothing happens and Woolmer has to come on then, didn't Brown have a run in (ok, I know he has done with most we've had!) earlier this season with him?

Don't think so. Possibly getting him mixed up with Hooper (a double "o", ending with "er" and no hair between them).

His last game here, the JPT against Bristol Rovers, such controversy as there was, went our way for once.

Don't think so. Possibly getting him mixed up with Hooper (a double "o", ending with "er" and no hair between them).

His last game here, the JPT against Bristol Rovers, such controversy as there was, went our way for once.

He is one of those "height challenged" refs though, with quite an annoying run, IIRC, and quite fond of the whistle. Not one of my favourites! We must be about due a Gavin Ward officiation soon?

What ref? Watching on the telly last night, I forgot he was on the field until about the 80th minute. Which is a good thing.

As OBL has just said on the match thread, there were no cards at all.

Thought the ref was excellent from start to finish.

Referee had a decent game. The only moment I got a bit exasperated was when Atkinson was pulled up for an innocuous tackle in their half and then he was clattered some time after and nothing given. If that's all we can moan about then good for me given recent diabolical ref/lino performances.

As for the throw in; as many others have said. If you stand up and moan about a ball crossing a line about 100 yards away then you look a bit stupid. We should have defended it and not switched off.

Assisting will be Nigel Lugg from Coulsdon, Surrey and Carl Brook from St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex. Fourth Official is a proper referee as the match is televised and he will be Andy Woolmer from Northampton who has just been appointed to referee the JPT Final at Wembley in recognition of his long and steady service.

Very well reffed game, shame about the lino :whistling:

Half the population of St Leonards-on-Sea have failing eyesight. Most are over 75; I'm not sure what Carl Brook's excuse is.

Watched his performance closely on TV and was'nt particularly impressed. Pulled the game up needlessly numerous times and was conned by players several times, theirs more than ours. Did'nt pay any attention at all to stolen yardage. On the plus side good positioning throughout and no cards. 6/10.

I actually thought it was lucky that the ref didnt really have many big decisions to make as I felt he kept giving Burton really generious free kicks for very small things on a number of times.

Must say I thought Wordworth was lucky to escape without a yellow after what looked like a nasty challenge nearish the dugout.

I thought the ref was superb last night. It's not a surprise that we would have a different opinion to him on certain issues because we're biased and he's not.

He kept control without having to show a card. It seemed to me that his man-management was really very good. He was constantly talking to the players and explaining things, which was probably why the game went off without incident.

He kept control without having to show a card. It seemed to me that his man-management was really very good. He was constantly talking to the players and explaining things, which was probably why the game went off without incident.

True, good point.

SUFC win = The Referee was good
SUFC lose = The Referee was rubbish

I get confused what supporters want from referees these days !!!

I actually thought it was lucky that the ref didnt really have many big decisions to make as I felt he kept giving Burton really generious free kicks for very small things on a number of times.

Must say I thought Wordworth was lucky to escape without a yellow after what looked like a nasty challenge nearish the dugout.

That was right in front of us and to the credit of Burton, the fella could have made a meal of it, but just jumped over the challenge and picked himself up. No histrionics.

Ref handled everything excellently for me and spoke to the right players at the right time, without resorting to card waving, as Londonblue said earlier.

Made for a fair match, which both sides played tough, but with respect for each other.

Back