• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

C2C fare rises..

If I buy my annual on Jan 1st it will be £2660 if I leave it a day it will be £2850 !

I never understand people that get their ticket early to avoid the fare rise, all that's happening is you are delaying the increase until the end of the year. You have to pay it, but just 11 months later. Don't understand the fuss.

Anyone know what the increases are on National Express Liverpool Street line? I dread to think. At least you C2C bods have a decent carriage to sit. The NE trains are starting to sound more and more dangerous. Often loud bangs and train rocking so much you are scared it is going to de-rail. Bad times.

I never understand people that get their ticket early to avoid the fare rise,

Wouldnt that mean in Firestorms case he saves 190 quid?

I never understand people that get their ticket early to avoid the fare rise, all that's happening is you are delaying the increase until the end of the year. You have to pay it, but just 11 months later. Don't understand the fuss.

Anyone know what the increases are on National Express Liverpool Street line? I dread to think. At least you C2C bods have a decent carriage to sit. The NE trains are starting to sound more and more dangerous. Often loud bangs and train rocking so much you are scared it is going to de-rail. Bad times.

I do, any saving you make is valuable, and as a consequence you also delay paying any additional amount in the following years. On that premise I will do it.

I belive the increase on NE is the same as c2c, IIRC only one train was not allowed to increase their fares from January.

As long as the car park doesnt increase I am happy to pay the bit more. c2c been pretty good this year, only the two major delays in the last year and some other random ones but not as bad as the other line. Just wish they would make all morning trains 12 carriages, might as well seeing as they have so many people standing all the time!

Wouldnt that mean in Firestorms case he saves 190 quid?

I do, any saving you make is valuable, and as a consequence you also delay paying any additional amount in the following years. On that premise I will do it.

I belive the increase on NE is the same as c2c, IIRC only one train was not allowed to increase their fares from January.

No, I understand that paying for it before the fare increase does save you the rise BUT you will still have to pay for this in December of 2009. So just delaying the inevitable? Well I guess that it makes a small amount of sense in that you are a year behind some people in the monthly amount that you pay.

Anyway, I must say I am somewhat angered by this and I can not for the life of me understand what the hell we are getting for our extra money. I am upset that I have anything to do with National Express in my life. My trains are late on a regular daily basis and they sound and feel so unsafe that it is now beyond a joke. Sort it pronto. Please find below my letter to the scrotes for my unsatisfactory couple of weeks recently:

Dear whoever this may concern.

I am a season ticket holder and I commute into London Monday to Friday from Rayleigh to Liverpool Street. To say that I am not a fan of this train service would be understatement of the century, as it is for most people I expect.

I am writing to complain about the service in the past two weeks. I have been late for work almost everyday in this period and that's even been the case when I have taken an earlier train. I find it outrageous that I actually have to start taking earlier trains because the service is so shoddy. I accept from time to time that things happen that are out of the railways control. However, its the nature in which us as cattle/passengers are informed. I have listened to the announcement "I'm sorry for the delay but this is due to congestion in the Stratford area because of an emergency speed restriction" for the past 2 weeks now and it is starting to wear a bit thin. Well doh. Of course there is congestion - it's rush hour - deal with it. It's frustrating being delayed in the way in to work, however, it's far more frustrating when you are given such a pathetic excuse for delays.
Could we not be told why there has been an "emergency" speed restriction in place? That's the information we are far more interested in to be honest. Is it because the tracks are about to buckle at any point if the trains reach more than 17mph? If so then I would like to know so that I could perhaps take alternative transport into work. Perhaps I could have a chopper drafted in. I think the driver excuse book needs an emergency update, and if anything is an emergency, then it's definitely that.

I also want to complain about the lack of organisation at the barriers at Liverpool St. When the majority of the passengers leave the train, most of them in a hate filled rage from lateness yet again, things can start to get ugly at the barriers. Half the barriers don't even seem to accept the tickets and a couple of the barriers have IQ-less, mute staff that just stand there and let you through the barrier with their own ticket with a motion that I can only assume will end up in RSI in months to come. What is the need for this?! Is it that difficult to just open all the barriers when there is a large influx of people leaving the trains? I can understand you would be concerned about non-paying customers slipping through the net, but can you blame anyone for not wanting to pay for over-inflated prices when there is NEVER any improvement to the service? Perhaps less gommos at barriers would help reduce the costs.

I pay such a lot of money each month to ride the rails and I, aswell as every other person I expect, would like a better service for our money. This is the feeling every January when our tickets are hiked well above the price of inflation for an even less superior service to the year before. However, what with the transport into London being almost a monopoly we don't have a choice. So the times when we as customers do have to put up with such complete idiocy and lack of information then we would at least expect a decent apology and information rather than a mumble from the driver who can't even manage to talk into the microphone properly, probably for fear that he will be mobbed when he leaves the safety of his bullet proof train room no doubt.

I look forward to your reply.

You won't get one :D

BTW: Anyone thinking of changing careers - Train Drivers basic is about £40K.

Oh no I did get one! I will post it on when I can locate it from my inbox. The reply was unsatisfactory really. I guess what I really wanted was a free Season ticket for the year - anything short of that was going to dissappoint!

Great money for being a train driver then - but a damn hard job especially the abuse I expect they can take sometimes. Plus not to mention the chance of having to deal with a fatality, I think that would be too much for me and many others.

Oh no I did get one! I will post it on when I can locate it from my inbox. The reply was unsatisfactory really. I guess what I really wanted was a free Season ticket for the year - anything short of that was going to dissappoint!

Great money for being a train driver then - but a damn hard job especially the abuse I expect they can take sometimes. Plus not to mention the chance of having to deal with a fatality, I think that would be too much for me and many others.

You won't get anything near a free season ticket :), however you should carry on complaining as hard as possible. I have complained bitterly about c2c on numerous occasions and have often been award travel vouchers, and a few years back got them to pay a taxi fare from Laindon when the sodding train broke down.

The Echo also got me involved when c2c were seriously crap about 7 years ago, and when LT were also causing havoc with strike action. I was invited to ameeting with the Echo and one of c2c's head honchos, it didn't achieve an awful lot apart from having my letters printed and my mug shot for all to see.

One of my major gripes is that if you want to phone and complain about the service you cannot speak to anyone from c2c or NE just a bloody call sentre. At least when Ken Bird was in charge in Southend under BR you could actually speak with him personally, and he was a bloody good bloke. The service was still abysmal but he was helpful.

A mainline driver for c2c earns 37 k basic at the moment but with plenty off overtime and free day payments it has been known for one driver to earn nearly 70 K :O

Well to be honest I don't have anything against the train drivers even if 70k does seem a bit steep to pull a few levers. It's the manner in which incidents are handled higher up in the food chain. This is generally with maximum disruption to the customers and minimum compensation or apology.

What's the bet that the engineering works on the Liv St line between Christmas and New Year overun? I'd say pretty high if last years shambles is anything to go by.

c2c is pretty good.. trains run on time mostly.. when things go wrong most seasoned commuters know to ignore the announcements about getting a tube to upminster or something, just have a couple of pints then head back to the station where things have amazingly been fixed..

c2c is pretty good.. trains run on time mostly.. when things go wrong most seasoned commuters know to ignore the announcements about getting a tube to upminster or something, just have a couple of pints then head back to the station where things have amazingly been fixed..

Excellent advice old bean!

I have also started my own dirty protest which seems to get the trains moving after a while...
Be warned though, this doesn't always go down that well with some of the other passengers. Particularly the ones who get spattered...

Kind Regards

Back