• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bobby dazzler

Manager
I've been watching the Blues for over Forty Years and am struggling to remember a fitter midfield than we have at the moment.
The Engines that Atkinson, Timlin and Leonard have are amazing. The sight of Atkinson chasing a through ball in the 90th minute today just to close down their keeper shows the fitness levels they possess. The late late goals we have been scoring also show how we are still going whilst the opposition are out on their feet.
Strakes puts a decent shift in fair enough but the three above have exceptional stamina.
We also must remember that they are putting in these performances and playing passing football as well.

Anybody out there that can name a midfield that would have competed stamina wise in their day ?:training::runner::training:

Last edited:
Imagine trying to play footbal with timlin, atkinson and lenny hounding you for the entire game coupled with a steely physicality. ....no chance. And if its not quite working out we have laird and clifford gagging to get into the mix

I am struggling to think of a more complete midfield and I have been around for a while.

Mind you my memory is going !:blush:

I think we have been blessed with some awsome midfielders in my time. The likes of peter butler with andy ansah. Keith jones with jonathan hunt and ricky otto.....for a spell macca and bailey complemented each other very well. The league one winning midfield was always strong.....gower especially. Time will tell on the current crop.....

I have fond memories of Ron Pountney and Anton Outalowalski (never could spell it) too many years ago to give a fair comparison. We have had some very talented midfield's (and some very poor ones) but stamina wise i'm not so sure.
Need opinions to jog the old grey matter

Last edited:
This midfield certainly seems leaner, fitter, stronger. Practically impossibly to compare sides from the 70s and 80s because their fitness was so different. Bodies now are honed so there's barely an ounce of fat....you couldn't say people like Willie Coulson were similar!

Leonard had completed this midfield for me . He adds so much composure, whilst also covering every blade of grass - that's a difficult balancing act ! He really has developed into a superb football player, and I would say he is up there as one of the best midfielders in this league this season. With Leonard there, it allows Atkinson to run, run and run, I can't remember a Southend player that got through so much work, from 1st minute to last ! Now Timlin, I've been a huge supporter of this player since he came here - and in thus midfield I think even his doubters are win around! Timlin is a very clever footballer and has the nature ability if being able to read the game and judge exactly where the ball will when loose or passed. He is also as brave as they come without being dirty, unlike the number 5 yesterday, of whom was not smart enough to play Timlins game ! This midfield three, talk and work for each . The best midfield for many a year . Hats off to Brown , but also hats off to the players, the way they apply themselves week in week out is a testament to their hard work - most notably Leonard for changing and developing his game and Timlin for how he had recovered from that leg break - he plays as though it never happened !!!

I think Connor Clifford is often forgotten but he is a fantastic midfielder to have a this level. Must be kicking himself as in most other L2 sides he would be a shoe in starter.

I think this is the main thing Brown has changed.

This is the same group of players as last season (with the exception of Atkinson) but they look so much fitter. Brown's invested a lot more money on staff than in recent years after the coaching and support staff set up was pared down for financial reasons under Tilly (when we lost Laurence Bloom) and then Sturrock (when we didn't have any) but this investment is producing a notable return. I'm not sure who is responsible for pre-season fitness and the players' individual training programmes but they've done an excellent job:thumbsup:

Atkinson and Leonard seem to be able to run all day, Timlin also has a great "engine" but not quite to their standards.

Then you have Laird who is one of the fittest players in the squad (prior to injury anyway).

Then you have the likes of Clifford and Bedsente.

Such a strong midfield, really spoilt for choice in that area.

Surely that's a question for the females on this board?
Not quite what I meant by the post but hey, if it brings the ladies in to watch ,great. As for the decerning ladies already there then enjoy the view. Certainly better than the teenage bluebells the men have to look at. Please retire them.
And as an open minded modern society I am sure we have some Male fans enjoying the fit bodies in Blue shirts as well.
Live and let live as they say. All monies gratefully accepted.

:winking:

Yes, fitness plays a part but for me the most complex consideration is getting the right mix on the pitch. Add in Payne as well as the other players mentioned above and it is quite a headache trying to get the "best combination" whilst balancing protecting the back four and putting the ball in the old onion bag.

Got to say that I am pleased the management team have this conundrum to deal with. :smile:

Atkinson and Leonard seem to be able to run all day, Timlin also has a great "engine" but not quite to their standards.

Then you have Laird who is one of the fittest players in the squad (prior to injury anyway).

Then you have the likes of Clifford and Bedsente.

Such a strong midfield, really spoilt for choice in that area.

Timlin running full pelt at the goalkeeper is enough to frighten most of them just a bit, and Lairdy is supposed to be the quickest isn't he?

Timlin running full pelt at the goalkeeper is enough to frighten most of them just a bit, and Lairdy is supposed to be the quickest isn't he?

Timlin did this on numerous occasions yesterday, putting the keeper under massive pressure and bound to cause mistakes. A very good tactic we need to keep doing week in week out

Back