• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can Southend follow Swansea's lead

Aberdeen Shrimper

Not sure if there has been a thread on this but on SSN they were just talking to the Swansea Manager Roberto Martinez about an initiative that Swansea have brought in to encourage more of the youngsters to go along to the Liberty Stadium.

They are kicking of at 7pm instead of 7:45pm and also have a "Kids go free" night, this is the second time that they have adopted this initiative with very positive results which seems to be attracting a lot more of the younger supporters.

Is this maybe something Southend could consider trailing? Would it work? After all the young ones are the Blue Voice of the future.

A lot of people will moan at a 7pm KO, it wasn't so long ago people were clamouring for all evening games to KO at 8pm!

A lot of people will moan at a 7pm KO, it wasn't so long ago people were clamouring for all evening games to KO at 8pm!

very true, for a commuter town like southend i don't think moving the kick offs earlier is very smart

I think there is less of a commuter population in Swansea which is why it wouldn't work for us!

Mods....can you do that?????

would be a better discusion in Chit chat than in here???

in the early rounds of the LDV or JPT i noticed a lot of teams starting at 7pm with all sorts of deals for kids.

No way 7pm kick-offs.

Yes, the club has to look to expand support amongst the young, but not at the cost of their full price paying fan base. By moving KO to 7pm you are constricting the catchment area significantly - fewer fans from surrounding areas such as Chelmsford, Wickford etc will be able to make it. Fans working outside the area would be cut off - in a commuter town this would be a key demographic. Remember some of this commuters would be taking their children anyway, so you'd potentially lose some of your existing support anyway.

Fans will also be battling the rush hour traffic, so I'm not sure how popular it would be anyway.

I'd suggest trying to make reserve games more school friendly - get players playing in front of crowds, introduce the yougsters early to Southend.

Back