• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can Southend follow Swansea's lead

Evening kick-off times?

• Total voters

Aberdeen Shrimper

Not sure if there has been a thread on this but on SSN they were just talking to the Swansea Manager Roberto Martinez about an initiative that Swansea have brought in to encourage more of the youngsters to go along to the Liberty Stadium.

They are kicking of at 7pm instead of 7:45pm and also have a "Kids go free" night, this is the second time that they have adopted this initiative with very positive results which seems to be attracting a lot more of the younger supporters.

Is this maybe something Southend could consider trialing? Would it work? After all the young ones are the Blue Voice of the future.

I'd struggle to get to evening games for 7pm, and I suspect I am not alone.

I would struggle to get there for 7am the following morning.....would be interting to know how many folk would be in favour.....a lot of the parents i would imagine

Problem is unlike Swansea, Southend is a commuter town, that was the original reason why evening kick offs in the 80s changed from 7.30pm to 7.45pm so to give the commuter fans 15mins more to get to the ground.

yeah but a load of grown ups struggle to get there after working all day to pay for the little ones food/clothes - footy tickets

AS, isn't this just for Swansea's JPT games as a trial?
Could work if restricted to that, seeing as crowds are lower and more opportunity to make the games "Kids for a Quid" etc

I was told at lunchtime, Rangers are letting U11's in for free to the East Stirlingshire cup game on Sunday!

Might be worth it for deciding cup ties. I hate it when you're looking at full 90 mins, plus extra time then pens, it leaves you with no idea when you're getting home especially if away.

AS, isn't this just for Swansea's JPT games as a trial?
Could work if restricted to that, seeing as crowds are lower and more opportunity to make the games "Kids for a Quid" etc

I was told at lunchtime, Rangers are letting U11's in for free to the East Stirlingshire cup game on Sunday!

According to SSN it is the second time, the first was a roaring success

They are kicking of at 7pm instead of 7:45pm and also have a "Kids go free" night, this is the second time that they have adopted this initiative with very positive results which seems to be attracting a lot more of the younger supporters.

It just gives more time after games for the wee things in Swansea to go on wrecking srpees etc after evening games before they have to be home by midnight!!

Burning protestants was a roaring success for Queen Mary Tudor, but that doesn't mean I'd advocate doing it a second time around.

I am not suggesting it....just raising the debate.

Besides it would not affect me for another 12 months anyway

7pm is a bit of a squeeze for those travelling from London. I could just about make it, but I'd have to leave the office at 4:30 to be sure and I wouldn't even have time for a pre-match pint in The Spread.

And for that reason, I'm oot.

9Bannatyne.jpg

I voted for 8pm .. mainly to increase the amount of time in the boozer.. Thus the suitably tanked all adult crowd will generate a much better atmosphere under the lights.. Also , much as I appreciate kids are the 'future'.. there should always be room for the 'present'

I voted for 8pm .. mainly to increase the amount of time in the boozer.. Thus the suitably tanked all adult crowd will generate a much better atmosphere under the lights.. Also , much as I appreciate kids are the 'future'.. there should always be room for the 'present'

If we go for 8.15 the half-time break will be past 9 o'clock watershed. Meaning the Bluebelles can go nude.

Back