• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Canaries to Swoop for Clarke

Clarkey has been a good servant to the club always giving 100% and for that i like him, but as others have stated he & barrett are too similar and make a poor partnership. Clarke is the better of the two but Barrett is blue through and through.
We should make a small profit on him i reckon as Norwich can afford more, and he's had championship experience now with us, Good luck to him if this is true.

We need to sort out our defence either way though, so we just need a tall strong defender, who's good in the air and got pace - should be a piece of cake!

He only has until the end of the season on his contract, so I wouldn't expect to get very much for him.

Clarkey has been a good servant to the club always giving 100% and for that i like him, but as others have stated he & barrett are too similar and make a poor partnership. Clarke is the better of the two but Barrett is blue through and through.
We should make a small profit on him i reckon as Norwich can afford more, and he's had championship experience now with us, Good luck to him if this is true.

We need to sort out our defence either way though, so we just need a tall strong defender, who's good in the air and got pace - should be a piece of cake!

I am fed up with reading so and so is an asset because "he always gives 100%". I'm sorry, but for me that is a starting point not a panacea.

He is out of contract in the summer isn't he so first off I doubt we will be getting a big fee for him.

Secondy, something has to give now. The defence has had problems since Spinner left and Sodje got injured. Since then we have never looked as solid at the back. I'd like to see a no nonsense, tall and commanding CB come in and partner Barrett. I think sometimes Clarke and Barrett can bring the worst out in each other with their weaknesses. I'd keep Barrett over Clarke in an instant though so not too upset about this one.

If Clarke goes and we don't get a replacement then we really will be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

He hasn't signed a new contract, but getting him off the wage bill will free up room to do something about our defensive problems.

It will certainly free up the wage bill, but I am not sure it will remedy the problem. We do need a commanding centre half to take control of our backline, but I'd prefer that commanding centre half to play alongside PC, not replace him.

In addition, whoever plays in that position will still have to cover for AWOL Francis, so it may well only half address the problem.

Clarkey is a very good centre back, but as stated on here already, he cannot play with Barrett. They're too short and too similar. If we sell him for £100k and get a Sodje/Spinner esq centre back I will be more than happy, and I'm sure the defense would quickly tighten up.

I am fed up with reading so and so is an asset because "he always gives 100%". I'm sorry, but for me that is a starting point not a panacea.

I'm sorry, did i say the fact that he gives 100% was a cure for all? No I didn't. Like you say, it's a starting point, just like it was the starting point of my post.

He is out of contract in the summer isn't he so first off I doubt we will be getting a big fee for him.

Good point that I hadn't thought of. If we could get our money back then that would be good. Scary thing is we need about 4 players! a LB, RB and 2 CB's.

Last edited:
I am not a clake hater but i think wouldnt be such a bad move by us to off load him, he cant play with Barrett his distribution is poor and positioning & timing of challenges as been worse recently.

Tilly would never think of getting rid of Barrett or even dropping him, no cover anyway, not unless we can turn one of our many wingers into a centre half.

It could be time for Clarkey to move on, as long as we invest the money in the team and not in the loan system!

Clarkey is a very good centre back, but as stated on here already, he cannot play with Barrett. They're too short and too similar. If we sell him for £100k and get a Sodje/Spinner esq centre back I will be more than happy, and I'm sure the defense would quickly tighten up.

Whilst Clarke and Barrett are very similar in height and build, and we do need a Spinner type presence in the heart of our defence, I still think unless we replace Francis, the right side of our defence, including the centre half on the right hand sid of the two, will struggle.

In addition, I doubt we would get £100,000 for him with his contract up at the end of the season, Norwich will be free to talk to him in January if they so desire.

I think this is too good to be true although Roeder is an awful manager so who knows. Anything that forces Tilly to change the current defence must be a good thing providing he replaces him with someone better which shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.
If he does go to Norwich and plays regularly then I would fully expect to see him back at the Hall next year in league 1!

Clarke must be near or at the top of the wage structure at the club... when we signed him he came with a lot of promise and a fair price tag, if we do off-load him then maybe the surplus cash could go towards Hardings contract, with a young/hungry/cheaper wage earner cb to replace clarke

I believe CC51DAS is well known for his fishing trips on here, and it looks like he's got a monster haul today

Back