• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Canaries to Swoop for Clarke

In addition, whoever plays in that position will still have to cover for AWOL Francis, so it may well only half address the problem.

I don't know - someone who can play this level without having to concentrate on his own consistency would probably spend more of the match guiding Francis and we would probably see a better Francis. Not to mention being better organised from free kicks. This isn't just a reflection on Clarke but the pairing generally.

Sure, it's hard to name someone to come in but I presume we've had long enough to find someone reasonably along those lines. The thought of selling Clarke without a back up gives me the willies.

That said, selling Clarke could be the move of our season as a fresh change to a creaky defence may well make us more resilient.

This is not true... Peter Clarke is Mr December on next years SUFC Calander :-)

He must of signed a new contract ...

It will certainly free up the wage bill, but I am not sure it will remedy the problem. We do need a commanding centre half to take control of our backline, but I'd prefer that commanding centre half to play alongside PC, not replace him.

In addition, whoever plays in that position will still have to cover for AWOL Francis, so it may well only half address the problem.

If you aren't part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

I don't know - someone who can play this level without having to concentrate on his own consistency would probably spend more of the match guiding Francis and we would probably see a better Francis. Not to mention being better organised from free kicks. This isn't just a reflection on Clarke but the pairing generally.

Sure, it's hard to name someone to come in but I presume we've had long enough to find someone reasonably along those lines. The thought of selling Clarke without a back up gives me the willies.

That said, selling Clarke could be the move of our season as a fresh change to a creaky defence may well make us more resilient.

This is the party line to me. I think selling Clarke might be just what we need.

When I spoke to him in Morrissons in Eastwood about a month ago, he said he and his Mrs were very settled in the area and that he was happy at SUFC.

He also told me that he'd heard the rumours that his house was up for sale during the summer from another supporter and said it was total nonsense.

I think he is an important part of the squad and believe that he will still be here at the end of the season.

When I spoke to him in Morrissons in Eastwood about a month ago, he said he and his Mrs were very settled in the area and that he was happy at SUFC.

He also told me that he'd heard the rumours that his house was up for sale during the summer from another supporter and said it was total nonsense.

I think he is an important part of the squad and believe that he will still be here at the end of the season.

Norwich is not far away and he could easily travel each day so doesn't have to up root .

would be sad to see him go , i reckon he is the wrong CB we are getting rid off , most Centre halfs would struggle if they constantly had to cover your partnering CB and Right back .

Concearned that if he goes that it will then become apparent that he was the better defender out of the two but it will be to late .

Admire Barrett for what he has done at the club , but he is to slow and poor positional sense and gets murdered against i big striker . Its so blatently obvious we need a shake up at the back but getting rid of Clarke is not the answer.

Norwich is not far away and he could easily travel each day so doesn't have to up root .

would be sad to see him go , i reckon he is the wrong CB we are getting rid off , most Centre halfs would struggle if they constantly had to cover your partnering CB and Right back .

Concearned that if he goes that it will then become apparent that he was the better defender out of the two but it will be to late .

Admire Barrett for what he has done at the club , but he is to slow and poor positional sense and gets murdered against i big striker . Its so blatently obvious we need a shake up at the back but getting rid of Clarke is not the answer.

1. Prior and Sodje even at the back end of their career coped just fine, admittedly with a better right back alongside them.

2. Sounds as if you are talking about Clarke as well. These are his exact weaknesses, remember Jason Price for Donny last year.

Fingers crossed for FM08 sorta money (very hopeful tho!). Now to get a new,younger and better CB (still hoping!).

This rumour is patently not true, they don't have a Morrissons in Norwich, just Asda or Sainsbury's both of whom can't compete with Morrisson Fruit & Veg which is of the highest quality.

...it's become painfully obvious that him and Barrett will never perform to the best of their abilities together and, at times, are downright calamitous. This could trigger the defensive overhaul we so, so badly need.

...one of them has to go and if its Clarke, then I give him my thanks and best wishes and wish him good luck!

Rumour or otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Individually I do like both players, but as a pair, it's just never seemed to work. With Barrett contracted until well into 2047 and Clarke free to move soon anyway, it was always going to be the latter who solved the problem.

He is clearly a much better player than we have seen in recent times. He has played for Everton, England u21 and been player of the year three times for blackpool. He cant be that bad.

I'd agree with this wholeheartedly too, but I still remember Andy Harris and he captained Liverpool's reserves!!

While rumours about Clarkely begin to trickle, I'd like to be the first to put my name against the following thread title which may eventually be needed:

PC Gone. Mad!

We want defenders, and you're asking for Clarke to get sold. We rely on freebies tbh so if we got, say 250k for Clarke I doubt we would pay over 80k for another defender. If we still had the likes of Hunt, Gary Richards etc and had good back up I would probably say 'yeah lets get some money in and let him go to a better team', but the way things are we have:

Barrett - No one will ever dream of letting him go unless massive money was offered

Francis - Get rid of him and who is there to play, yes sankofa but Tilly wont which is beyond me?

Herd - Young talent, lots of potential but will not guarantee success throughout a whole season.

Sankofa - back up, not too much experience with the team atm hope he comes in soon

Harding - yes a fantastic asset to the team but he isnt going to be around for years. Doubt he will join and if he went in Jan, Herd would be back up and lets be honest, although he is a good player, he isnt anywhere near the standard of Harding

So get rid of Clarke and we are left with 5 Defenders. One of them on loan, and a couple of them are likely to get a suspension or an injury. And I cant see us getting anyone better than Clarke in Jan.. So we would be left for more loanees and possibly an even more unsettled defence.

I dont understand why, when Harding goes, we dont ship Barrett out to LB, then bring in a tall, commanding centre half to play alongside Clarkey. WHen we went on that unbeaten run a few years ago, Barrett played LB.

Think Clarke is an all round better player than Barrett wouldn't mind him going. The amount of penalties he gives away would be worth 10 points per season alone.

The most sucessful teams in L1 and L2 in recent years have just had poles at the back: MK Dons, Peterborough and the year when the scummers got promoted with Halford etc.

Tilly is apparently gutted. They are still working on his press release but here's the first draft.

Like I said, we are gutted to lose Clarkey although in truth he hasn't really settled in since moving down here from Blackpool. To be fair, the beach and seafront up there is in a different class and he's been missing the bright lights and other attractions.At least the Norwich training ground is next to a donkey sanctuary and he should feel at home there.

Tilly is apparently gutted. They are still working on his press release but here's the first draft.

Like I said, we are gutted to lose Clarkey although in truth he hasn't really settled in since moving down here from Blackpool. To be fair, the beach and seafront up there is in a different class and he's been missing the bright lights and other attractions.At least the Norwich training ground is next to a donkey sanctuary and he should feel at home there.
Am I missing something? Your stating he has gone to Norwich? :unsure:

We want defenders, and you're asking for Clarke to get sold. We rely on freebies tbh so if we got, say 250k for Clarke I doubt we would pay over 80k for another defender. If we still had the likes of Hunt, Gary Richards etc and had good back up I would probably say 'yeah lets get some money in and let him go to a better team', but the way things are we have:

[

As he's out of contract in the summer, i would be amazed if we got £50k for him !!!

Back