• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Canvey Island

Crawliano

LADYCHARMER80
It's not very often that I find myself in the position being a Southend fan but I do love the once a year "cup final" that Southend find themselves in against Canvey Island FC, I adore their 12 fans still riding the crest of the FA Trophy win at Villa Park 8 years ago firmly believing that they are the undoubted "best non league team around".

So what's the plus points about going to the Canvey game?

1) They do a pretty good burger
2) I love seeing their "ultras" in the little corrugated iron hut by the dugouts, I swear, I've seen Cheltenham Town bring more on a Tuesday night.
3) I'm from Canvey, but I hate the majority of people from the island, the problem is, they seem to get this massive thing about being "true to your turf" whenever SUFC turn up, they'll sing "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLOWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSS" over and over as Canvey of course have no songs as it's a bit of a challenge coming up with new material when you meet once a year, it's funny.

The thing is, Canvey ain't a bad club, they've just got the most deluded "fans" ever, the majority of which believe they only play in the FA Cup and 4 friendlies a year.

The problem here, I sound just like those lovely people on that Chelsea forum back in January mocking the little club, but in this case they all deserve it, yes, if the bridges to the mainland were to be blown up to avoid escape I'd be upset as I could never leave but then I'd understand, Canvey is by all means one of the most backward places in Essex and as such I will enjoy watching the game that keeps them operating another year whilst their ungrateful hangers on hark on about how they're "proper" whilst wearing their Arsenal/Wet Spam/Tottenham shirts.

True no-one likes the island. It is a dump.

True no-one likes Canvey Island F.C. They are dump

True no-one likes CIFC fans. They can't spell dump

All in all, i have come to the conclusion, next week shall be fun!

A trip to Park lane is a good laugh.. At least they make a bit of noise and have some fun.. the Bars ok and you can get a good view up on that terrace

Any club that has committed a two year in with a local charity and has started the commitment by putting the charity's name on the backs of their shirts is fine by me.

The Canvey Island F. C. of today is far, far, removed from the odious Jeff King ego trip that finished a good 3 years ago.

I take it there wont be a Shrimpers Trust coach going, for the local chavs to attack this time around...

The Canvey Island F. C. of today is far, far, removed from the odious Jeff King ego trip that finished a good 3 years ago.

Fair do's but the "rentafans" from the odious Jeff King ego trip still remain and make visits to Park Lane horrid, well, unless it's a game against Folkestone Invicta, then the "hardcore" will be found down the Haystack telling all and sundry how they're a "gunner for life" and the only reason why they're not at the game today is that "They can't be arsed to go and would rather moan about things from the comfort of their local" "it's too hard to get a ticket"

The Canvey Island reply in the FA Cup a few years back remains one of my faviourite memories as a Shrimper. Jay Smith smashing the ball in the top corner live on Sky in the last minute. Bliss, pure bliss.

Back