• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Cav Miley

I’m not meaning to be rude but I assume you haven’t been supporting us long.
And I’m not dismissing Miley who is consistently outstanding at this level—National League.
Going back,off the top of my head : Whelan and Marsh obviously, Clayton ,Chisnall ,Kevin Baron before that and more recently Ryan Leonard.
I go back to the late 80s and would have Miley in my side ahead of Whelan and Marsh and Leonard and our own Kev Maher. Both Marsh and Whelan were coming to the end of their careers and despite their obvious ability, they didn't consistently offer what Cav does game after game.
I respect your opinion though.

I took a few mates who haven't been to a Southend game before yesterday and made a point of pointing out Cav Miley to one of the guys, he just makes everything look so easy, think he gave the ball away once and that was a clearance under pressure.

One of our most important players, probably second behind Cardwell. Constant contender for MOTM but because he makes everything look so utterly simple he can go under the radar. Easily one of the best midfielders in this league.

Oh yeah. Cav Miley m’lord?
No, the ( m'lord ) wording can only be reserved for someone special.

It was for Chrisy Powell back in the day.

But now imo, it should be reserved
SOLELY for one person only

KEVIN MAHER.

KEVIN MAHER M'LORD
KEVIN MAHER
KEVIN MAHER M'LORD
KEVIN MAHER

To the music of Al Jolson’s song, Mammy:-
“Cav Miley, Cav Miley,
The sun shines east, the sun shines west,
But Southend’s where the sun shines best,
Cav Miley, Cav Miley,
I’d walk a million miles, for another like you,
Oh Cav Miley”

I go back to the late 80s and would have Miley in my side ahead of Whelan and Marsh and Leonard and our own Kev Maher. Both Marsh and Whelan were coming to the end of their careers and despite their obvious ability, they didn't consistently offer what Cav does game after game.
Miley is brilliant at this level but i cant even compare him to some great players we've had at higher levels. I mean he would of barely got a game the season when we had Bailey and McCormack in midfield. Both top rated league 1 players midfielders. If he's that good you'd have a Championship Club picking him out in the transfer window. It's not a negative, just a realistic aspect....I'd much rather we have him.

Maher stood out in a weak Championship side, in central midfield. To suggest Miley's ability is above Maher is laughable. As you say, i respect your opinion though !

Maher stood out in a weak Championship side, in central midfield. To suggest Miley's ability is above Maher is laughable. As you say, i respect your opinion though !
Conversely, Maher stood out for for all the wrong reasons in league 2 for a good number of seasons before winning his own battle with the boo boys.
Cav's ability to recycle, receive and move the ball in tight spaces is unmatched.

I was referring to @Tommy's Mooney’s post above yours, which is something new (based on The Life of Riley by Lightning Seeds). Quite clever I think.

Think there were a couple of replies which arrived at the same times as mine, which has maybe confused things.
Gotcha. 👍

Last edited:
Cav Milley as a "6" (defensive midfielder to all of us over 35) is such an important role, in that if he does it well (as he does 9/10 games; no one is perfect) he isn't noticed! A bit like a decent ref (like the one last Tuesday), they do their job so well, you simply don't notice them.

A really good player and will be top three for POTY again at least.

Back