• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barnabas

I used to think that it could be harder to get involved in a match as a wide midfielder or winger, whereas much of the play would go through the central midfielders. But on Saturday, I did not notice Maher and particularly Hunt getting very involved, especially in the first half, whereas most of the dangerous-ish moments came when the ball was at the feet of Mark Gower. If only he had put one of the few first half chances away, it might have been a different story. Pettefer was detailed to patrol the right wing, yet kept on drifting in-field. At times, it looked as if he was playing the right centre midfield berth, rather than wide right. Perhaps he kept drifting in to try to stir things up, get the ball, create something, etc, as so little was coming through Hunt. The back four also seemed to be bypassing central midfield. When Prior went on the storming run through the middle in the second half, it was a rare moment of dynamic play, which almost led to a goal chance. We need to see more of that, but from our central midfielders, as long as there is cover behind. Incidentally, against Brighton, I thought Adam Barrett showed signs of that ability to storm out of defence brining the ball forward as well, and that is a tactic which can help to create an extra man for an attack as well.

I'd be interested in hearing the comments from anyone who was at the Lincoln game, as to how involved Maher and Bentley were in the match. Tonight,  I listened to the majority of the commentary on BBC Essex. I missed the team line-ups and the first minute of commentary though, so had to work out who was playing from the names mentioned during the commentary. It appeared as though we had made a decision to play only ten men, or had a player sent off in the opening minute or so (which I missed), as I only heard ten names mentioned, until about 13 minutes into the match. Missing name was Bentley. How involved did he get? It would seem we need to get more out of our central midfielders.

How did switching Gower and Pettefer to the opposite side (as advocated by quite a few on these boards) work? Was the link-up better between Jupp and Gower, Pettefer and Nicolau, than the other way round?

Any thoughts please.

Barnabas

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barnabas @ Aug. 11 2004,00:50)]Missing name was Bentley. How involved did he get? It would seem we need to get more out of our central midfielders.
He was the best player on the pitch box to box side to side all over the place.

I thought Drewe was the best player on the pitch by far tonight. But then again it is all about opinions i guess.

He was the best player on the pitch box to box side to side all over the place.

[UNQUOTE]

Thanks for that, Mr Scriven. Perhaps he was just getting his bearings in the first quarter of an hour. Bentley does have the potential to storm through and make things happen... When he is fully fit, let's hope that makes a real difference to how creative we are.

Barnabas

Bentley was awesome last night!! After the first 10 he was the key for me!! Tilsons comments on the official site sum it up perfectly, one minute he is attacking supporting the strikers getting in the box, the next minute he is back defending!! He looks stronger, fitter and faster in my eyes than last year and will be one of the most influential players we have this season! When he had the ball at his feet going forward he looked very exciting!

Drewe was also a welcome addition, especially in a game like this! Lincoln were very longball and hoof last night, at times this was because this is all we could reduce them to, but this was there general tactic. Drewe showed exactly why, IMHO, he is one of the most underated players at the club last night! He did exactly what was needed of him, won every header and held the ball up brilliantly!! I also think that given 2 or 3 more games he and Wayne will form a good partnership!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 11 2004,08:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (keir_smith @ Aug. 11 2004,01:18)]I thought Drewe was the best player on the pitch by far tonight. But then again it is all about opinions i guess.
Excellent news - I hope he continues to ram my comments down my throat.
Same here.

Forget the 'club', Dreweman is one of the most under-rated players in the world.

General opinion on the Trust coach last night was split between Drewe and Bentley for Man Of The Match which confirms what most others seem to say. Although, all the boys played well and the improvement from Saturday was very noticeable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 12 2004,23:21)]We have never replace Phil Gridlet and that is why we are in the position we are now.
...instead of being in the conference...

Gower is a terrific player but the team plays through him too much. It becomes predictable for the opposition and therefore easier to defend. The ball should be spread around more and not allow the enemy to settle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Aug. 13 2004,01:15)]Gower is a terrific player but the team plays through him too much. It becomes predictable for the opposition and therefore easier to  defend. The ball should be spread around more and not allow the enemy to settle.
Seems to be happening already this season from the reports... I can't wait to see how they handle Gower and Jay Smith, tho!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Aug. 13 2004,01:15)]Gower is a terrific player but the team plays through him too much. It becomes predictable for the opposition and therefore easier to  defend. The ball should be spread around more and not allow the enemy to settle.
Gower always wants the ball, even when he is not on song. You can never accuse the man of hiding on the pitch and that is a terrific attitude.

I think he will come good soon... remember he had an op at the end of last season and it always takes a little while to get sharpness back after an injury.

I predict a MOM performance from him tomorrow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 12 2004,23:21)]We have never replaced Phil Gridlet and that is why we are in the position we are now.
I always thought he was a pansy me self. My fave midfielders are Dave Martin & Peter Butler they were hard as nails. They always seemed to me to take it in turns to get the games first yellow (unless big Roy beat them to it) and then took control of midfield in our rise up from the bottom under Webby.

2 HEROS IN 1 THREAD
1-BANEBUS FROM WTS AND
BARRY MOONCULT FROM FLOWERED UP,THANKS FOR THAT

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Posted: Aug. 14 2004,01:55  

2 HEROS IN 1 THREAD
1-BANEBUS FROM WTS AND ....

Good spot, Puppy Poo (Puppy Poo?
rock.gif
)
What's The Story was a long time ago.
Talking of a long time ago, it was interesting to note the mention earlier in this thread of Dave Martin and Peter Butler, as I was going to bring them up at some point myself. They were an excellent pairing, and together with Tilly, saw us rise through the ranks of the old div 4 to div 3 to div 2. People lovingly recall 1990/91, and all that "who put the ball in the Bury net" stuff. The forward line was terrific that season - Benjy 16 goals, ooh Andy Ansah 13, and Brett Angell in his first season (replacing David Crown) 26 goals. But the midfield 3, who played virtually all of the games ,were Butler (4 goals), Martin (14 goals) and Tilly (11 goals). Oh, for a creative midfield like that now....

But by the following year, our first in the old 2nd division, Butler and Martin only played 11 games between them. Our midfield was Tilson, John Cornwell and Keith Jones, plus a few games from Andy Sussex.  

Ah, nostalgia - it ain't what it used to be...

Barnabas

Back