• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cheese

lee_sufc

Coach
I know Nicolou was the key player yesterday but someone else that I think deserves a mention is Super Cheese Wilson.

I will put my hands up and admit I questionned Tilly at the beginning of the season for keeping him (especially after last years LDV final) but recently he has been superb...lots of good crunching tackles.

It seems to me as though Tilly has given Che much more confidence!

I was so shoked when Tilly decided to keep Che. After seeing him ripped apart by Bullock at LDV last year and the rriva of Nicky then I felt he was dead in the water but he has been superb this.

For a smallish man he wins so many headers and I have never once seen him bottle a tackle - A total revolation and a real testimant to Tillys ability to spot talent in a player 90% of fans would have written off...

DtS

Been banging on about Wilson for the last couple of months now cos he's had such a good run of form. Full back has to be one of the hardest positions to impress in. A bad game and everyone thinkgs you're terrible for the next ten.

The amount of praise Che's getting now, I feel, is testament to what a good run of form he's put together in the first team. Almost scored a 30 yard scorcher too, even if it was due to very, very poor judgement by Harper!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lee_sufc @ May 22 2005,21:56)]I know Nicolou was the key player yesterday but someone else that I think deserves a mention is Super Cheese Wilson.

I will put my hands up and admit I questionned Tilly at the beginning of the season for keeping him (especially after last years LDV final) but recently he has been superb...lots of good crunching tackles.

Che was simply superb!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 22 2005,22:12)]Been banging on about Wilson for the last couple of months now cos he's had such a good run of form.  Full back has to be one of the hardest positions to impress in.  A bad game and everyone thinkgs you're terrible for the next ten.

The amount of praise Che's getting now, I feel, is testament to what a good run of form he's put together in the first team.  Almost scored a 30 yard scorcher too, even if it was due to very, very poor judgement by Harper!
Err... I wouldn't call it a scorcher. More of a misplaced cross that caught in the wind.

But he has been pretty damn good this season. I can count the number of bad games he had on one hand, whereas last season he was generally very poor. I wouldn't blame him totally for the LDV though as Gower allowed Bullock all the time and space he needed to run at Che.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 22 2005,23:02)]Err... I wouldn't call it a scorcher. More of a misplaced cross that caught in the wind.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 22 2005,23:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 22 2005,22:12)]Been banging on about Wilson for the last couple of months now cos he's had such a good run of form.  Full back has to be one of the hardest positions to impress in.  A bad game and everyone thinkgs you're terrible for the next ten.

The amount of praise Che's getting now, I feel, is testament to what a good run of form he's put together in the first team.  Almost scored a 30 yard scorcher too, even if it was due to very, very poor judgement by Harper!
Err... I wouldn't call it a scorcher.  More of a misplaced cross that caught in the wind.

But he has been pretty damn good this season.  I can count the number of bad games he had on one hand, whereas last season he was generally very poor.  I wouldn't blame him totally for the LDV though as Gower allowed Bullock all the time and space he needed to run at Che.
Totally agree with fbm - any full back needs a player in front of him who doesn't bottle tackles and helps out defensively at times. I think simply that Nicky is by far the preferred option in front of Che rather than Gower. With Nicky wide left Che can overlap and get forward on occassions too whereas with Gower this happens much less frequently a) because Gower is a pretty selfish player at times and seems to rarely pass to Che when he's offering him an option and b) because if Che goes forward, Gower is less inclined to drop back than Nicky.
Let's hope Tilly has finally worked this out and sticks with Saturday's team in Cardiff!

Agree with everyone on this - Che has been outstanding this season. And its good to see someone actually acknowledging the fact that the Blackpool LDV performance was down to Gower's reluctance to help his full backs. Both full backs are able to play when Petts or Nicky are in front of them because they know they will be backed up and covered when necessary. Gower does not do this at all.
We know what a good player Josh Low is but he was shut out of the game on Saturday because Nicky was prepared to work the left flank with Che both defensively and offensively for the full 90 minutes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lee_sufc @ May 22 2005,21:56)]I know Nicolou was the key player yesterday but someone else that I think deserves a mention is Super Cheese Wilson.

I wouldn't just say his tackles are crunching, I would say they are also very well timed. I've always thought he was pretty good, and defended him after the LDV last year, but would now say he is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ May 23 2005,08:41)]Agree with everyone on this - Che has been outstanding this season. And its good to see someone actually acknowledging the fact that the Blackpool LDV performance was down to Gower's reluctance to help his full backs. Both full backs are able to play when Petts or Nicky are in front of them because they know they will be backed up and covered when necessary. Gower does not do this at all.
We know what a good player Josh Low is but he was shut out of the game on Saturday because Nicky was prepared to work the left flank with Che both defensively and offensively for the full 90 minutes.
In fairness to Gower, at the LDV he just wasn't fit enough; and IMHO he hasn't been fit this season at any time.

If his problems are down to the way he runs and his bone structure, these are pretty damn fundamental and he is unlikely to ever be properly match fit again I would suggest. He'd also fail any medical for a new club so I doubt he'll be off anywhere.

I hope something can be sorted out for him because a fit Gower is amazingly influential on the team.

Wilson played well but I think Jupp deserves a mention, he has been outstanding since coming back into the side.

What people fail to mention is that Che is playing out of position as well, he prefers Right back or centre half.

Yes Juppy does definately deserve some praise - he has been first-class since his return to the side. And yes, Che is playing out of position but it does not seem to worry him at all - a number of people in the East stand on Saturday were saying that they thought he is naturally left-footed which, of course, is not the case - its great to have players who can play with both feet.

dont know if this has already been said because i havnt read all the posts on this thread but im a little concerned with super cheeses performances at cardiff. i dont doubt he has been different gravy for the second part of the season but i get a really horrible feeling hes not looking forward to playing at cardiff again. he does well on small pitches but at mill stad he looks lost. i a;sp dont doubt tilly will pick him but im just a little concerned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ May 23 2005,14:20)]dont know if this has already been said because i havnt read all the posts on this thread but im a little concerned with super cheeses performances at cardiff. i dont doubt he has been different gravy for the second part of the season but i get a really horrible feeling hes not looking forward to playing at cardiff again. he does well on small pitches but at mill stad he looks lost. i a;sp dont doubt tilly will pick him but im just a little concerned.
Last year maybe but this year? I think he'll be fine....I think all the players will be - we've been there enough now - it's like our second home!
tounge.gif

real test for him next saturday.one thing is playing someone that looks like a clown called josh low different story against the pacy lincoln strikers.i am sure he will do well like in the previous games at cardiff
tounge.gif

Back