• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Chelmsford Away Pre Season

Yep, saw that earlier. Bang goes the theory of having a glamour pre-season game that Saturday then.

What a p*ss poor selection of LOCAL friendlies yet again.
Why did nobody ask the RM blog why we seem set against a pre-season tour, even of Ireland or somewhere else in Europe?

ahh its my birthday that day - what better way to spend it than in the company of jeff king.

Why did nobody ask the RM blog why we seem set against a pre-season tour, even of Ireland or somewhere else in Europe?

I wouldn't want that sort of pre-season.

I enjoy visiting local clubs for these friendlies. It's a good thing for Southend United to be doing for the area anyway; giving these clubs some much appreciated extra revenue. If we went on a tour of Europe or Ireland then I'd be unable to go; whereas I can get myself to any local ground without too much trouble even if it's only to watch a team comprised mainly of youths, reserves, and triallists.

I'd still like to see a big-name home friendly added - there's still Sat 1st August available; perhaps something's being lined up for that date?

I wouldn't want that sort of pre-season.

I enjoy visiting local clubs for these friendlies. It's a good thing for Southend United to be doing for the area anyway; giving these clubs some much appreciated extra revenue. If we went on a tour of Europe or Ireland then I'd be unable to go; whereas I can get myself to any local ground without too much trouble even if it's only to watch a team comprised mainly of youths, reserves, and triallists.

I'd still like to see a big-name home friendly added - there's still Sat 1st August available; perhaps something's being lined up for that date?

get ready for west ham

It has to pay for itself though mate if not there is no benefit. We are unsure where our tour is yet but its bound to be either Ireland or Scandinavia. This is due to those areas being where we have the largest fanbases outside of the Uk. By visiting those places you can flog shirts etc at over the top prices. If there isn't the interest there then sadly there is no point going. By staying local you run the chance of getting kids in and interested.

It sounds good but they have been the locations of tours for god knows how many years. They are also very expensive, as any who has brought a pint in Dublin will testify.

Always enjoy the Chelmsford pre-season, was hoping Maldon Town would have been added as well though.

I love the non-league local tour of Essex in pre-season. Beer on the terraces, sun shining, plenty of Shrimpers, and big crowds for the teams we visit. Its nice as the only Club in Essex to put something back into the local community by playing them.

Fully expect a big game, possibly Villareal, on the 1st of August.

Always enjoy the Chelmsford pre-season, was hoping Maldon Town would have been added as well though.

I love the non-league local tour of Essex in pre-season. Beer on the terraces, sun shining, plenty of Shrimpers, and big crowds for the teams we visit. Its nice as the only Club in Essex to put something back into the local community by playing them.

Fully expect a big game, possibly Villareal, on the 1st of August.

Spot on.

The club has a moral duty to support the local non-league scene.

When our links with CD Javea was announced, there was a big thing about them being heavily tied in with Villareal, and one of the top guys at Villareal was over to watch us play during our dreadful Christmas period.

Would also tie in with what RM said in his blog about a side people would be excited about.

When our links with CD Javea was announced, there was a big thing about them being heavily tied in with Villareal, and one of the top guys at Villareal was over to watch us play during our dreadful Christmas period.

Would also tie in with what RM said in his blog about a side people would be excited about.

I hope you're right!

Back