• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
I was listening to Talk sport today and a rumour circulated that Chelsea wanted to buy a lower league team and use this team to play all their youger players. It turns out that they have quality young players in abundance that are not even getting a look in of the first team.

The presenter thought that if this was to happen the supporters of the lower league team in question would be very angry. Even saying they would not go to watch and a 100 years of history would be gone.

I personally would love this to happen to us and would be delighted to see all these up and coming prem players pulling on the Southend shirt.

what say ye ?

I was listening to Talk sport today and a rumour circulated that Chelsea wanted to buy a lower league team and use this team to play all their youger players. It turns out that they have quality young players in abundance that are not even getting a look in of the first team.

The presenter thought that if this was to happen the supporters of the lower league team in question would be very angry. Even saying they would not go to watch and a 100 years of history would be gone.

I personally would love this to happen to us and would be delighted to see all these up and coming prem players pulling on the Southend shirt.

what say ye ?

it's gonna happens next season - when Phil Brown brings in loads of of Wet Spam loanees :smile:

Whilst it may provide financial security, it is not something that I would welcome.

As the title of your thread suggests, we would be a Chelsea B Team and no longer Southend United.

Dreams of OUR club improving would cease as there would be no longevity and no long term plan other than to ready players for the Premier League.

I have no issue with Premier League clubs running B Teams and starting in the lowest League Tier available but I have a massive issue with them buying MY TEAM in order to do it.

Put simply, I would no longer support Southend United because Southend United would no longer exist.

You say pulling on a southend shirt but really it would essentially be a chelsea b shirt.....then what about the chelsea bods who would pop along to see em play.....not southend but chelsea b......what about our youth players. ....who would pick the team....presumably a chelsea coach of some description. I for one would seriously consider knocking it on the head

Whilst it may provide financial security, it is not something that I would welcome.

As the title of your thread suggests, we would be a Chelsea B Team and no longer Southend United.

Dreams of OUR club improving would cease as there would be no longevity and no long term plan other than to ready players for the Premier League.

I have no issue with Premier League clubs running B Teams and starting in the lowest League Tier available but I have a massive issue with them buying MY TEAM in order to do it.

Put simply, I would no longer support Southend United because Southend United would no longer exist.

Spot on! We wouldn't have our club anymore and would be controlled by Chelsea.

I hear all the protests and can understand it. But isn't a loan player already a version of this. We seem delighted when we loan a good player from a higher league team . BA for example. If Chelsea loaned us 5 top quality players next season, that ment we would be challenging for promotion, would anyone complain. What is the difference really ?

Chelsea can f*** right off if they think they're going to do that, especially to our club. :finger2:

Edit: Southchurch, the issue I would have is that as a club, we'd be owned by Chelsea and all our players would be Chelsea players. For all the problems we have at the moment, we're still Southend United. Could you honestly still follow a "Chelsea B" team around the country, under the pretence of SUFC?

I hear all the protests and can understand it. But isn't a loan player already a version of this. We seem delighted when we loan a good player from a higher league team . BA for example. If Chelsea loaned us 5 top quality players next season, that ment we would be challenging for promotion, would anyone complain. What is the difference really ?

It won't be 5 loan players, it will be a full team of their players.

There's got to be a happy medium, if we took on 5 players from a top premiership team each season (e.g. GK, LB, CB, CM & FW) then this would allow a blend of players experience & top premiership youth. It would also drive up the quality of our youth as they will understand what level they need to be at to make the grade.

Huge difference in my opinion:

1. In your example above then Southend would be making the decision to try and sign players on loan rather than have them placed in to the Team by the 'A' Team Manager
  2. Any players over the age of 21 (just an assumption) would be released or promoted to the A Team
  3. Dreams of promotion could never happen if it meant that the 2 Teams could be in the same Division
  4. Presume that you could not enter the same Cup Competitions in case you drew each other
  5. Presumably only one set of Directors
  6. Identity of the club would disappear as the ability to make independent decisions would also disappear
  7. There would be no onions on the burgers

I truly hope this hideous idea is a non starter.

The difference is that it's still Southend United, you can't be serious that you'd happily support a team wearing Chelsea colours with the Chelsea badge and Chelsea name Controlled by Chelsea and still claim to be supporting Southend.

Huge difference in my opinion:

1. In your example above then Southend would be making the decision to try and sign players on loan rather than have them placed in to the Team by the 'A' Team Manager
  2. Any players over the age of 21 (just an assumption) would be released or promoted to the A Team
  3. Dreams of promotion could never happen if it meant that the 2 Teams could be in the same Division
  4. Presume that you could not enter the same Cup Competitions in case you drew each other
  5. Presumably only one set of Directors
  6. Identity of the club would disappear as the ability to make independent decisions would also disappear
  7. There would be no onions on the burgers

I truly hope this hideous idea is a non starter.

1/ I imagine at the moment that a team (ie Chelsea) let it be known they have players they are willing to loan out. They can decide to only loan to clubs they have links with or the managers or chairman are friends. We take what we can get in the loan market. In other words manager team 'A' is already placing his players in other teams.

2/ Any player of any age showing real ability at Southend at the moment would be sold to the highest bidder. So no problem losing players to parent club in my opinion.

3/ Do you really dream of promotion to prem. Come on.

4/ Cup one is difficult. We may have to have a cup team seperate from main team.

5/ Southend(Chelsea B) would have a seperate board that had independance on day to day matters.

6/ Players would spend the season as southend players and i am sure they would want to win the league. They would all have southend shirts on. Be Southend players for that season.

7/ No burgers but lots of prawn sandwhiches.

There's got to be a happy medium, if we took on 5 players from a top premiership team each season (e.g. GK, LB, CB, CM & FW) then this would allow a blend of players experience & top premiership youth. It would also drive up the quality of our youth as they will understand what level they need to be at to make the grade.

If we loaned 11 top quality players who would easily win the league. Would you say that was too many? Where do you draw the line ?

If we loaned 11 top quality players who would easily win the league. Would you say that was too many? Where do you draw the line ?

Firstly, the Football League would not allow it. Secondly, if we were Chelsea B team it wouldn't be a loanee they would be co-owned by Chelsea and the B team.

I don't think you get it. There will be NO SOUTHEND, it will be Chelsea B team. Southend United WILL BE DEAD!

1/ I imagine at the moment that a team (ie Chelsea) let it be known they have players they are willing to loan out. They can decide to only loan to clubs they have links with or the managers or chairman are friends. We take what we can get in the loan market. In other words manager team 'A' is already placing his players in other teams.

Not true as no lower League Club is obligated to take on a Loan Player - under the B Team Proposal, then choice is taken away

2/ Any player of any age showing real ability at Southend at the moment would be sold to the highest bidder. So no problem losing players to parent club in my opinion.

So what happens to the journeyman professional like Clohessy, Cresswell, Philips, Corr - where will they earn a living?

3/ Do you really dream of promotion to prem. Come on.

Yes I do, just like Swansea supporters used to and Wigan, and Wimbledon and Bradford.... the list goes on

4/ Cup one is difficult. We may have to have a cup team seperate from main team.

Where would players for the Cup Team come from?

5/ Southend(Chelsea B) would have a seperate board that had independance on day to day matters.

Really? So who would resolve conflicts? - what would the 'board' for the B Team retain responsibility for?

6/ Players would spend the season as southend players and i am sure they would want to win the league. They would all have southend shirts on. Be Southend players for that season.

Exactly, they'd be players for only a season, so how would you expect supporters to develop any affinity with them?

7/ No burgers but lots of prawn sandwhiches.

Burgers and onions rule!!

I have added my thoughts beneath yours.

I dont think a lot of the chelsea kids could hack it in league 2 to be honest. Give me Barry Corr over Romalu Lukaku any day of the week.

no lower League Club is obligated to take on a Loan Player

True. But- ''Hello is that Ron Martin, Chelsea here. We have a Brazilian 20 year old we want to toughen up a bit. Was top scorer at Boca last year. Don't worry about wages , we will pay them. Want him?''

''Yes please''

So what happens to the journeyman professional like Clohessy, Cresswell, Philips, Corr

They get jobs in factories and offices like the rest of us

just like Swansea supporters used to and Wigan, and Wimbledon and Bradford

formed in 1906. 107 years. enough said.

Where would players for the Cup Team come from?

Southend manor, Canvey. youth team . back room staff. who cares. The only cup we have a chance of is Tin pot paint and they are available for that.

Really? So who would resolve conflicts?

We put a puppet prime minister in charge of Iraq, who resolves their day to day conflicts?
I am sure we can sort out Southend.

they'd be players for only a season, so how would you expect supporters to develop any affinity with them?

We only put players now on season long contracts for the most part. Also when PS took charge we had hardly any players then. So they were all new to us and we still supported them from day one.

You don't get it. There will be:

- NO Southend United
- NO Roots Hall or Fossetts Farm
- NO Ron Martin (not a bad thing, but what is the point if there is no Southend)

The club and it's history will be OVER if we become Chelsea B team.

Back