• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

    Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

    New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

    Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

    Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.


The PL League Boss⭐
Apr 28, 2006
PL Headquarters Hullbridge
We're all hyped up by todays result and recent results, so why not milk it a bit and as Memory lane seems all the rage at the moment how about Chesterfield in the cup 1939. My granddad (DTSs great granddad) went to the abandoned match.

The Southend United Supporters Club have arranged cheap fares to Chesterfield and they will be available at 14s each. Those making the journey can travel up on the 7.50 a.m. eight o’clock or 8.9 a.m. to Fenchurch Street on Saturday and proceed to St. Pancras Station to catch the ten o’clock train to Chesterfield arriving there at 12.46 p.m. there will be a restaurant car on the train. The return is from Chesterfield at 5.55 p.m. arriving at St Pancras at 8.55. There is an earlier train at 4.27 but the match does not end until 4.10. The ground will hold over 30,000, it is situated in Saltergate seven minutes walk from the Chesterfield Railway Station and this season has seen an average of 13,000. the numbers fluctuate according to whether or not the game starts after the Colliery shifts have changed over.
From the Southend Standard 5th January 1939

Sat. 7th January 1939 F.A. Cup Round 3
Chesterfield 1-1 Southend United (abandoned)

Chesterfield were in eleventh place in the Second Division with an impressive home record which including a 7-1 win over Nottingham Forest and 6-1 over Southampton. The countryside was under the grip of snow and there were severe doubts about the game going ahead but the game started and it wasn’t the snow that stopped the game but fog which started about an hour before kick off and fifteen minutes before the end of the game the referee called an end to the farce. Pools of water lay over the pitch like miniature lakes following the rapid thaw of the night before. To emphasize the fog both goals that were scored were by half backs with long range shots which the goalkeepers didn’t see till it was too late. Chesterfields goal came twenty minutes after the start, the equaliser by Hague came in the second half and although all 13,000 spectators were disappointed few could argue with the decision. Although it was the official figure which confirmed how many were present it was impossible to tell how many were on the opposite sides of the ground. This included 70 or 80 who travelled up from Southend and of those there were 30 members of the unemployed who’s fares had been paid by a benefactor and whose admission was being met by the club.
Team: MacKenzie; Milne & Robinson; Harris, Hague & Jackson; Smirk, Bolan, Bushby, Bell & Muncie.

The usual arrangements were made at the Stadium on Saturday to broadcast to the crowd at fifteen minute intervals the latest position of the Cup tie at Chesterfield. The crowd’s reaction to the latest position can be summed up: Announcement that chesterfield had scored (cries of disappointment) news that Southend had equalised (a burst of tumultuous cheering) and finally the decision to abandon the match was met with deathly silence.
From the Southend Standard 12th January 1939

Wed. 11th January 1939 F.A. Cup Round 3
The ground conditions caused by the thawing snow were terrible, snow had fallen on Tuesday night in Chesterfield, and fog developed in the morning but when the snow turned to rain the fog was dispelled. The pitch was covered in snow but rapidly thawing however there was no suggestion the game would be called off. Southend were hard pressed by their second division hosts but defended gallantly until eight minutes from time when Chesterfield finally broke the deadlock. It looked like United’s cup journey had come to an end until three minutes later when Southend broke from defence, Smirk on a run centred for Bell who headed on, Bolan back heeled and Bushby hit the ball in mid air and sent the ball to the back of the net. It was a game played on 3 inches of slushy snow but a replay was now due at the Stadium.
Team: MacKenzie; Milne & Robinson; Harris, Hague & Jackson; Smirk, Bolan, Bushby, Bell & Muncie.

Mon. 16th January 1939 F.A. Cup Round 3 Replay

Sensation followed sensation in a series of breathtaking thrills in Southend United’s replayed third round tie with Chesterfield, where United gained dramatic 4-3 victory during extra time each side having scored twice during normal time. The game in the hectic last minutes was fought to continuous roars from the crowd of over 11,000 most directed against the referee who many spectators thought had been especially harsh towards the home side. Two penalties were awarded against the Blues in extra time and after the second Bolan was sent off the field after allegedly threatening the linesman with his fists. At the end of the game the referee had to be escorted from the field by Police and when in the dressing room stones were thrown threw his window and an unruly crowd assembled calling for the referee’s blood but were eventually moved on by the Police. Southend had started so well after only five minutes Martin putting across a perfect centre for Bushby to score and seven minutes before the end of the half a repeat performance saw Bolan head home. After an hour’s play a forty yard shot from Chesterfield hit the underside of the bar and into the net and shortly afterwards a second goal brought the scores level, and with the final whistle came extra time. Southend had looked like they were flagging but were greatly refreshed when Bell scored twice in the first period of extra time. With just eight minutes to go in a goal mouth scrimmage the referee awarded a penalty and no-one knew why, but the result was that Chesterfield had pulled a goal back. With just seconds to go MacKenzie was heavily charged but he made the fatal error of retaliating and a second penalty was awarded, but this time it was saved to the joy of the home crowd. The gate was an impressive 12,000 with 11,393 paying for admission, and whilst the reaction of the crowd was understood it would inevitably lead to reports going in to the F.A.
Team: MacKenzie; Milne and Stokes; Harris, Hague & Jackson; Smirk, Bolan, Bushby, Bell & Martin.