• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Choosing a best man

MK Shrimper

Striker
Well hello folks, back from my travels - and if you're not already aware via the magic of FB, my missus Zena said yes to me when I proposed in a piazza in Sorrento, overlooking Vesuvius and the bay of Naples.

Now I've got two very good mates and I'm stumped how to choose between them, 'cos I'm wondering how the other would take it.

I know there's been a lot of SZ weddings this year - did any of you have similar problems?

congratulations mate, made up for you both!

i also have two good mates, but i picked one because the other had already been a best man, and my best man is married so i thought that might be quite handy as he has experience and all that. the other guy is an usher and because they are both best mates I've asked them to both sort out the stag do together.

if they're best mates I'm sure it won't cause any grief, lads tend to understand these types of things

congratulations mate, made up for you both!

i also have two good mates, but i picked one because the other had already been a best man, and my best man is married so i thought that might be quite handy as he has experience and all that. the other guy is an usher and because they are both best mates I've asked them to both sort out the stag do together.

if they're best mates I'm sure it won't cause any grief, lads tend to understand these types of things

Hope so! One is married for a year and a bit, and I'm the godson to his nipper, while the other is divorced!

Tending towards the dad of my godson.

Hope so! One is married for a year and a bit, and I'm the godson to his nipper, while the other is divorced!

Tending towards the dad of my godson.
sounds like a good call. make the other an usher and it's all good

Would say it's all about giving them both some responsibility, let your godson's dad have the best man role and make the other one chief usher, looking after the family or something. Already said my congrats elsewhere, so, so pleased for you both.

Congratulations MK!

TBH I could have chosen any one of 3 mates to be my best man, but I just went with my gut instinct and everyone else seemed to agree it was the right choice.

Firstly, congratulations!

Make sure you go for just one; I always think having two or more is a bit of a cop out (plus, apparently, if you have two or more, then they're not officially 'best man', there is another word for them. A toastmaster told me that.)

Congrats Paul.

As for the Best Man, pick the one you like the most! If you can't choose between them, pick the one who is likely to embarrass you least in his speech.

Simples.

Congratulations, and a good place to pop the question. I was there on my honeymoon as the wife is a bit of an italianophile.

Regarding question, why not have both? I had two mates I could not chose between and in the end i asked them both to do it. When speaking to the vicar he said it was quite an old thing to do and that instead of Best Men they are called Groom's Men.

Congratulations to both Zena and yourself mate...as for the best man bit, I would just let Jonny Stokes and Toellandback fight it out between themselves.

Congratulations to both Zena and yourself mate...as for the best man bit, I would just let Jonny Stokes and Toellandback fight it out between themselves.

If only JS would wear the tight shorts, he'd be a shoe-in.....

Use it to your advantage... Tell them the dilemma, and then whoever impresses you the most over the next few months, be it with beers, meals, presents and lavish holidays, wins.

Or just go with Tarquin and have them fight.

Congrats Paul, I think the advice from MtS is about the best offered so far. Although to be fair I think Tarquin's solution would be more fun.

Congratulations mate..........what on earth has that lovely lady let herself in for!!

I had the same problem and went for the one who I new would be the most responsible and knowing him, I am sure you agree with my choice.

First off congrats,

I had the same issue kind of altough I found a lot of politics around it.

I personally picked two as the cowards way out as I didnt want to upset either of them. I had also been best man to them both last year so it was good to return the "favour".

I personally have done sole and duo best men and I found dual speeches worked best as you are not totally on your own all the time.

Last edited:
Have you sounded them out? Its quite possible one or even both might not actually want the job.

Back