• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Guthrie hat trick

If I recall , that win against Halifax put us top of the Division , Chris was a very underated old fashion centre forward who would put his head where it hurt . When Southend sold him to Sheffield United we also got Terry Nicholl in the deal coming to Southend .

Guthrie was top scorer for Southend in 72 73 and in 74 75.
Fifteen in the former; seventeen in the latter.

Little bit before my time started going around 78 ..
But are mates with Dave Cunningham so get told facts about them years ..

If I recall , that win against Halifax put us top of the Division , Chris was a very underated old fashion centre forward who would put his head where it hurt . When Southend sold him to Sheffield United we also got Terry Nicholl in the deal coming to Southend .

Table (2).jpg

Not for long though..the next home league game was against Palace Malcolm Allison and Spud Taylor - on a Friday evening (13/9/74) just 2 days after a very feisty League Cup Tie against Col Utd.

17,394 turned up to see us lose 1-0.

View attachment 8165

Not for long though..the next home league game was against Palace Malcolm Allison and Spud Taylor - on a Friday evening (13/9/74) just 2 days after a very feisty League Cup Tie against Col Utd.

It was very feisty outside the ground after the game .

Hi Hello, just picking up on this thread. I run the Southend United Ex Players Association and Chris is a member, had a good chat with him a couple of months back, nice guy, one of his jobs on hanging up his boots was being a male model!
Chris also scored a memorable hat trick for us v Port Vale on 20 April 1973 in a 5-0 win at Roots Hall, and then the following day when we played Chesterfield and won 5-1 he scored twice, some top effort that!
Don't suppose you have anything to do with any Sheff Utd Ex Players Association? If so we should maybe have a chat, one of the best ways of increasing membership (we have 184 a the mo) is getting in touch with other FPA's.
Cheers, Andy
PS Kay, re your comment earlier, we've tried re Davie Cunningham, no joy yet but I'll follow this new lead up!

I once used the urinal next along from Guthrie on the way back from Swindon 74 I think,one of my proudest Southend moments ahhhh memories.

Hi all.
Congratulations on your result on Saturday.
I am a Sheffield United fan.
Doing an article about Chris Guthrie.
I know he achieved a record, namely, he was the player who got a hat trick of headers v Halifax Town , for Southend, then for Sheffield United.
Was the game for you, on Sept 2 1974?
I looked on head to head stats but goalscorers not given, you won 4 0.
On Sept 10 1975 he headed three for Sheffield United v Halifax Town in a 4 2 away League cup win..Any confirmation from you folks most welcome.
Thanks.

Welcome to the zone...fond memories of Chris Guthrie who did well for us...Like to ask why you think it didnt work out for another recent hero of ours, Ryan Leonard...We all loved him at Southend...why didnt he cut it at Blades?

Hi Hello, just picking up on this thread. I run the Southend United Ex Players Association and Chris is a member, had a good chat with him a couple of months back, nice guy, one of his jobs on hanging up his boots was being a male model!
Chris also scored a memorable hat trick for us v Port Vale on 20 April 1973 in a 5-0 win at Roots Hall, and then the following day when we played Chesterfield and won 5-1 he scored twice, some top effort that!
Don't suppose you have anything to do with any Sheff Utd Ex Players Association? If so we should maybe have a chat, one of the best ways of increasing membership (we have 184 a the mo) is getting in touch with other FPA's.
Cheers, Andy
PS Kay, re your comment earlier, we've tried re Davie Cunningham, no joy yet but I'll follow this new lead up!
A male model!
No am not involved in FPAs.
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the zone...fond memories of Chris Guthrie who did well for us...Like to ask why you think it didnt work out for another recent hero of ours, Ryan Leonard...We all loved him at Southend...why didnt he cut it at Blades?
Dunno really.
Never got a chance.
I guess it'll be a fallout with Wilder.

I remember Chris and Dave Worthington throwing punches at each other on the pitch at AP Leamington in a FA Cup game in 74 and had to be broke up by teammates .

View attachment 8165

See Chris Hutchings in the Southend South East counties team before he went to Chelsea and play in there 1st team , ended up Manager at Bradford City I believe .

This post brings back the old days. Southend United had a club house for players next door to me at Orchardside in Eastwood. Both Chris Guthrie and Dave Cunningham were my neighbours. Chris was a very nice man, who I played golf with at Belfairs. He very much better at the game than I was. As for Dave Cunningham I did not have so much contact with him. Others were Derek Parker, Alister Love etc.
At that time Dave Smith, our manager was often calling in to see his team members.
I saw them all play, great times of long ago.

I used to live in Orchardside too, there was also a club house in Whitehouse Meadows where Stuart Brace resided whilst with us.

This post brings back the old days. Southend United had a club house for players next door to me at Orchardside in Eastwood. Both Chris Guthrie and Dave Cunningham were my neighbours. Chris was a very nice man, who I played golf with at Belfairs. He very much better at the game than I was. As for Dave Cunningham I did not have so much contact with him. Others were Derek Parker, Alister Love etc.
At that time Dave Smith, our manager was often calling in to see his team members.
I saw them all play, great times of long ago.

Keith Mercer could often be seen playing tennis in the public courts in Eastwood during the summer months back in the early 80's.Imagine he lived in the club house too.(Our mother used to have a place in Eastwood at the time).

Did he have a brother ?...Laurie...quality player him

Apologies it's after closing time
He did have a brother: Ron Guthrie who was a left back who played for Newcastle and Sunderland. He was second choice left back to Frank Clarke at Newcastle in the late 1960s and early 1970s and was in the Sunderland team that won the FA Cup in 1973.

Back