• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Classic Own Goals

LBBlue

Manager⭐
Well Milligan’s will go down as a classic do you remember that bizarre own goal at Wycombe - inch perfect finish.

And us old folk will never forget Lou Costello slamming one home past Peter Goy I think.

There have been a few memorable ones over the years. Didn’t we get 2 at the Os one game?

Any more for the list?

Will anything beat that Tes o.g at Brisbane road. I was stood right behind it as he tried to hook it clear but instead put it in the top corner of his own goal, as soon as it left his foot could see where it was heading, perfect finish just sadly for the other team!

Spinner at Bournemouth.

Every home game v Orient in the 90s/00s.
Seem to remember Peter Watson scoring an own goal with a volley from the edge of the penalty area. Think it was in 1964/65 season against Bristol City a game we lost 4-0 at home. Could be wrong with the game, goal was late in game.

Seem to remember Peter Watson scoring an own goal with a volley from the edge of the penalty area. Think it was in 1964/65 season against Bristol City a game we lost 4-0 at home. Could be wrong with the game, goal was late in game.
Well that own goal lives in my memory. Goal was in very last minutes, and it was of such quality that I thought he might wear the no. 9 shirt next time out. Opposition was Bristol Rovers, and it put the score not to 0-4 but, wait for it, 3-4.

Well that own goal lives in my memory. Goal was in very last minutes, and it was of such quality that I thought he might wear the no. 9 shirt next time out. Opposition was Bristol Rovers, and it put the score not to 0-4 but, wait for it, 3-4.
Thanks for clarification. Yes was a cracker of a volley !!

How about Paul Sansome (against Oxford I think)... ball safely in his hands... pulls arm back to roll the ball out but let's it slip from his glove and into his own net.

Was stood right behind it in the North Bank and I swear everything went in slow motion as the thing crossed the line.

Maidstone away in about 1990,,,,..we lost 3-0 …...a 30 yard pass back over the head of the keeper into the net. May have been Paul Brush. ?? Seem to remember the supporters coach was a double decker bus that day.....I think Maidstone were playing their home games at Dartford's ground at the time.

Lou Costello against Coventry City at home in the early 60s. 30 yard back pass sailed over keeper Peter Goy and into the top corner.

Maidstone away in about 1990,,,,..we lost 3-0 …...a 30 yard pass back over the head of the keeper into the net. May have been Paul Brush. ?? Seem to remember the supporters coach was a double decker bus that day.....I think Maidstone were playing their home games at Dartford's ground at the time.

Definitely Paul Brush. We all watched it sail over the keepers head. It was in 1990. Blazing hot day as well.

Yep best own goal ever
Hit it like a tracer bullet
I thought the keepers name was Rhodes ?

****ing hell... yeah v Orient.

Drew Broughton OG.
Tes Bramble OG.
Lost 2-1.

I just remember thinking it wasn’t real.

February 2004.

The previous season Phil Whelan scored the winner for them with an og on45 minutes . Se we scored 3 consecutive ogs for them at Brisbane Road.

And David McSweeney also got one in the home game in October 2003 in a 2-1 loss.

That was one season earlier 1963/64 and the goalkeeper for that match was indeed Brian Rhodes who we signed from West Ham and banished to Australia 11 matches later having conceded 17 goals in his last 5 matches.

The 1964/65 home match v Bristol Rovers was a 6-3 victory (not our only win by that score that season - happy days) so that meant 16 goals in 2 consecutive home matches against them. These days matches against them seem to finish mostly 0-0 !!!

****ing hell... yeah v Orient.

Drew Broughton OG.
Tes Bramble OG.
Lost 2-1.

I just remember thinking it wasn’t real.

Thanks for reminding me, that was a horrible game and part of an awful era where Orient seemed to beat us time after time. :Scared:

I can't recall another game where we've scored two og's. It just had to be against them didn't it!

Paul Brush at Maidstone, dinked the keeper (Sammy I think) from about 20 yards.

Yep, remember that one and i think you're being kind with the 20 yards.

Pretty sure theses's some footage of it out there somewhere

Back