• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Down the years it has always struck me that Southend United has struggled to really nail down it's identity. This can be observed through the countless times the crest has morphed and the multitude of Blues/Yellows/Turquoise/Whites and Reds!!! the kits have produced. Not to mention how the club as a whole tends to shy away from it's ACTUAL nickname.

That said, it seems to me like we have entered a settled spell. The crest has the shrimp back in along with other important elements and we seem to have stuck with the same shade of blue for the home kit for a number of seasons.

My question is this: If the club were to have an established, usable motto (maybe to incorporate into the crest) what should it be? Latin or otherwise.

I think we've also had an issue with music to be played when the team to enter the pitch.

IIRC the last attempt was a few years back when we tried "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees. Personally I thought this was a good choice because:

It's a catchy tune
It's old which means that it won't become dated in the next few years - it already is.
It's old which gives the impression we've been using it for years!

Personally I don'l think the club gave it long enough. A song won't become an anthem in the way, "You'll Never Walk Alone" is to Liverpool, overnight. It will take years. I would love the club to try it again, and stick with it.

always onto a loser with music, whatever you pick there will be people who dont like it. Thats why its difficult to have one long enough for it to become tradition.

I am ex News Of The World reader..

Thought I give the Sunder People a go... well On Sunday in their match report they called us the bloody Shrimps...

:thumbdown:

Lazy Journalism I say

WE ARE THE SHRIMPERS not even called the ''Blues'' Southend Council

Anyway got that of my chest and feeling better now

Promotion please Mr. Paul Sturrock and I buy u a Pint
:Worthy:

I think we've also had an issue with music to be played when the team to enter the pitch.

IIRC the last attempt was a few years back when we tried "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees. Personally I thought this was a good choice because:

It's a catchy tune
It's old which means that it won't become dated in the next few years - it already is.
It's old which gives the impression we've been using it for years!

Personally I don'l think the club gave it long enough. A song won't become an anthem in the way, "You'll Never Walk Alone" is to Liverpool, overnight. It will take years. I would love the club to try it again, and stick with it.

I think Blur's 'Parklife' would have been a good shout as well.

We are the Shrimpers, we are the Blues, we are United, we are the Blue Boys, we are the Yellows, we are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Don't see what the issue is. We're all of the above.

Anyone who wants to take issue with the club using "Blues" instead of "Shrimpers" try singing some songs with Shrimpers in.

always onto a loser with music, whatever you pick there will be people who dont like it. Thats why its difficult to have one long enough for it to become tradition.

That's why you pick a song and stick to it. For example, I doubt any Man City fan would choose Blue Moon now, but they all sing it because its been their anthem for as long as they can remember...

I know this has been debated over and over but weren't we The Blues long before we were ever called The Shrimpers?

''I know this has been debated over and over but weren't we The Blues long before we were ever called The Shrimpers''

Yeah maybe in 1930’s ..lol

Wasn’t the old Pop Shrimper in the Cartons in the Southend Standard in the 50s ??

This carries on Beefy cos our Club , local Council signs , local BBC Essex station will not stop calling us the bloody blues

You wait when one day I come a millionaire and buy the club I love this will be the 2nd thing I change after putting the cost of a pint down to 10 pence in the club Bars ...

HAPPY DAYS all round :happy:

Back