• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

COLLYMORE -MARTIN SUMMARY

stan collymore

Stanley Victor Collymore
Hi Guys

Had a 2pm zoom face to face with Ron for 50 minutes.

It was open, honest, friendly and as you'd hope from me, your concerns and thoughts along with my own were expressed and reaffirmed throughout.

There were no no go areas and extensive contemporaneous notes were taken.

My offer to Ron was as follows.

1. To use me as conduit for Ron and the club to build and maintain bridges with supporters, dealing with clubs where bridges have been broken, a face of Southend United to meet parents and potential young players who we should be looking to recruit, offering football advice and solutions to the club structures, media, supporters, local business, council and to Ron, daily.

2. To arrange a meeting with Ron and I and a potential CEO that I have in mind as a matter of urgency to allow Ron to concentrate of FF, council and allow a football structure to take shape immediately to allow the club and team to get out of the blocks with the aim of an immediate Football League return.

I am delighted to say that Ron's candour was refreshing, he acknowledged that help was needed and that a unification of the club was his desire. He asked me about the CEO, and how quickly could we all meet which was incredibly encouraging.

I put to him the suggestion that as a 23 year owner of a football club, which we all agree isn't easy, Ron should utilise his energy in ways that can achieve the FF project, with the football business on and off the pitch being run by a competent CEO with me to be an advisor, titled or not, formal or not. A guardian football angel for the benefit of Southend United Football Club.

Ron wants to explore both immediately as a matter of urgency.

So I will contact the CEO I have in mind today, wait to hear from him and should he be willing to meet Ron, I will facilitate that within meeting to happen in Ron's words "within days". As I said to you guys, I'll drive the guy myself if I have to!

What would I see my role as? Like Mark Bright at Crystal Palace who advises Steve Parrish, I'd offer my experience and knowledge and contacts to build bridges with you guys, have a clear and transparent relationship with your club and its structures, to sometimes say ( as I said in the meeting with Ron) "Ron, hold fire on Mark Molesley in any statement, we may want this guy in 5 years time!", to give a face to recruitment of the best kids in the region to play for this wonderful football club, to vet manager's and football staff to make sure the football vision is realised and to support everyone at the club including Ron, to take things from their plate rather than add to them.

So Ron wants to meet me, the potential CEO all together ( should the CEO want to, time commitments willing, usual terms and conditions apply etc etc) in the coming days, with a view to moving the conversation and potential solutions quickly.

I believe Ron when he says he wants the best for the club but as I said to him, sometimes new energy, new voices, help and assistance from other quarters is all that's needed to get back on track. Ron asked me what time I could commit and I said "as much as the club needs me to commit".

I hope that helps in the short term, I promised I'd offer practical help to Ron and the club and I have. Next step is to get this potential CEO in front of Ron, I'll sit outside with a bag of chips and a cuppa and then I'll go in to continue the "how can we move this forward " conversation.

I can only take anyone in face value and Ron seemed to be open to all suggestions which would enable a sustainable football club to progress. We all have a role to play now to ensure that happens.

Out of tiny acorns, great oaks shall grow.

Unity, transparency, sustainability, progression.

Stan Collymore

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Had a 2pm zoom face to face with Ron for 50 minutes.

It was open, honest and as you'd hope from me with your concerns and thoughts along with my own expressed and reaffirmed throughout.

There were no no go areas and extensive contemporaneous notes were taken.

My offers to Ron were as follows.

1. A conduit for Ron and the club to use to build and maintain bridges with supporters, dealing with clubs where bridges have been broken, a face to meet parents and potential young players who we should be looking to recruit, offering football advice and solutions as to structure, media, uniting supporters, local business to Ron daily.

2. To call to a potential CEO that I have in mind as a matter of urgency to allow Ron to concentrate of FF, council and allow a football structure to take shape immediately to allow the club and team to get out of the blocks with the aim of an immediate Football League return.

I am delighted to say that Ron's candour was refreshing, he acknowledged that help was needed and that a unification of the club was his desire.

I put to him the suggestion that as a 23 year owner of a football club, which we all agree isn't easy, Ron should utilise his energy in ways that can achieve the FF project, with the football business on and off the pitch being run by a competent CEO with me to be an advisor, titled or not, formal or not. A guardian football angel for the benefit of Southend United Football Club.

Ron wants to explore both immediately as a matter of urgency.

So I will contact the CEO I have in mind today, wait to hear from him and should he be willing to meet Ron, I will facilitate that within meeting to happen in Ron's words "within days". As I said to you guys, I'll drive the guy myself if I have to!

What would I see my role as? Like Mark Bright at Crystal Palace who advises Steve Parrish, I'd offer my experience and knowledge and contacts to build bridges with you guys, have a clear and transparent relationship with your club and its structures, to sometimes say ( as I said in the meeting with Ron) "Ron, hold fire on Mark Molesley in any statement, we may want this guy in 5 years time!", to give a face to recruitment of the best kids in the region to play for this wonderful football club, to vet manager's and football staff to make sure the football vision is realised and to support everyone at the club including Ron, to take things from their plate rather than add to them.

So Ron wants to meet me, the potential CEO all together ( should the CEO want to, time commitments willing, usual terms and conditions apply etc etc) in the coming days, with a view to moving the conversation and potential solutions quickly.

I believe Ron when he says he wants the best for the club but as I said to him, sometimes new energy, new voices, help and assistance from other quarters is all that's needed to get back on track.

He agreed on this point several times.

I hope that helps in the short term, I promised I'd offer practical help to Ron and the club and I have. Next step is to get this potential CEO in front of Ron, I'll sit outside with a bag of chips and a cuppa and then I'll go in to continue the "how can we move this forward " conversation.

Out of tiny acorns, great oaks shall grow.

Unity, transparency, sustainability, progression.

Stan Collymore

Well that was worth coming out of my shell for. Respect that you've gone 180 on this Stan, sounding very positive.

Nice work.

I hope Ron is open to change, even if that means him just focusing on the FF and his pay day aspect while allowing someone else who has fresh ideas and expertise to become the newer fresher face of Sufc.

It's a good step in the right direction. Unfortunately Ron has said so many things that have not happened or been proved to have been light in truth, that I no longer believe anything he says.

Well done Stan, great to hear a positive message amongst the gloom of our impending relegation.

I do think we need to be careful that Ron is not bluffing here to get the fans off his back though so I fully agree with @TrueBlue that the protest must continue to ensure we get the continued transparency we expect.

100% agree.

thank you stan for trying to help SUFC lets hope some good comes from it .
us supporters certainly need some goods news from the club as you know the last few seasons have been terrible and made us the laughing stock of the football league .

This is great to read! Seems like real progress for the first time in a while.

As you say, Ron can manage the business side, but we need someone to manage the footballing affairs to ensure that the club has a clear vision and set of philosophies that the whole club can be held accountable to.

Does anyone know what our philosophy is as a club? What style of football is 'Southend football'? I have no idea, we need to nail that down as a foundational building block.

Every coach, manager and player should be brought in because they fit the club's vision. Having someone to help oversee that would do wonders.

Back