• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Comic Moments

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Whats been you most comical moment watching Southend...

for me It would have to be during the 1997/98 season when we were losing one game and things we so desperate that Keith Dublin was playing up front and managed to hit the post things were just so bad there was nothing to do but laugh!

Neil Campbell scoring one of his few goals for us against Rochdale I think. Not necessarily just funny that 'Clam' scored (although that was amusing!). Just the way that he was one of the least fearsome attackers in the division yet the defence backed off and backed off to about the six yard box while Campbell made a beeline towards the goal. Neil looked genuinely shocked at how easy it was to get there and pretty much tapped it in in spite of the keeper not having moved. I think that was third division football at its glorious worst!

Sammy throwing the ball in his own net. Can't remember who it was against, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Jan. 24 2005,10:35)]Sammy throwing the ball in his own net. Can't remember who it was against, though.
Something tells me it was against oxford, but I am most probably wrong!

All I remember was watching it (as if in slow motion) trickle over the line in front of us shocked supporters in the North Bank.

down.gif

A fat Rochdale forward attempted a free kick during the 2002-03 season just outside the Southend penalty area.

He hit the ball with a lot of power but absolutely no control, the ball was driven sideways and ended up going out for a throw in almost in line from where the free kick was taken.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Jan. 24 2005,09:35)]Sammy throwing the ball in his own net. Can't remember who it was against, though.
Snow White getting arrested at Macclesfield a few years back. Three angry dwarves confront the police and at one stage it looks like it's all going to go off before Zorro and a clown come along to calm things down. Snow White is later taken to Macclesfield and charged!

Stranger than fiction eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 24 2005,09:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Jan. 24 2005,09:35)]Sammy throwing the ball in his own net. Can't remember who it was against, though.
Snow White getting arrested at Macclesfield a few years back. Three angry dwarves confront the police and at one stage it looks like it's all going to go off before Zorro and a clown come along to calm things down. Snow White is later taken to Macclesfield and charged!

Stranger than fiction eh?
I know there are some photos of this incident around. Anyone care to post them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 24 2005,09:44)]A fat Rochdale forward attempted a free kick during the 2002-03 season just outside the Southend penalty area.

He hit the ball with a lot of power but absolutely no control, the ball was driven sideways and ended up going out for a throw in almost in line from where the free kick was taken.
I remember the Plymouth 'keeper taking a goal kick at Roots hall about five seasons ago. He slipped while taking it and put the ball out for a corner to us!

Has to be the Rushden keeper a few games ago throwing a tantrum at his defender for not letting him claim the ball after calling for it!

laugh.gif

****ed myself!

I thought the Southend fan getting walked around the pitch against Chesterfield away was a good one.

He was so ****ed he wen't in the worng end and was being marched around the pitch into the Southend end and ended up accidently tripping one of their players who was about to take a corner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Jan. 24 2005,10:22)]I thought the Southend fan getting walked around the pitch against Chesterfield away was a good one.

He was so ****ed he wen't in the worng end and was being marched around the pitch into the Southend end and ended up accidently tripping one of their players who was about to take a corner.
laugh.gif

Sounds like a classic.

Sure it was'nt Shrek again?
biggrin.gif

A evening game back in the 80's...at halftime two blokes walk out onto the pitch opposite the north paddock with a mocked up coffin on pram wheels one bloke then wraps chains around the other one and padlocks them. The chained bloke then climbs into the coffin the other one stands back, there was a loud bang the coffin falls apart and the bloke stands up and the chains fall to the ground. seconds later the St John's men rush into the north bank and takes someone out on their wheelchair as they have had a suspected heart attack. I've not seen them since.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 24 2005,10:37)]A evening game back in the 80's...at halftime two blokes walk out onto the pitch opposite the north paddock with a mocked up coffin on pram wheels one bloke then wraps chains around the other one and padlocks them. The chained bloke then climbs into the coffin the other one stands back, there was a loud bang the coffin falls apart and the bloke stands up and the chains fall to the ground. seconds later the St John's men rush into the north bank and takes someone out on their wheelchair as they have had a suspected heart attack. I've not seen them since.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The way I read that story, it was as though they weren't scheduled to be on the pitch and had just wandered on the pitch!!!

I remember at half time during a home match against Bolton that Roy Walker of Catchphrase fame was announced as the drawer of the half time raffle.

He walked onto the pitch waving and was met with complete and utter silence. I don't think one person clapped.

Frank Lampard in the '85 -'86 season. He didn't really gel with the team (!) the funniest moment was a free kick on the edge of the area (North Bank end). Frank was busy organising who was to go where, and the player standing over the ball tapped it sideways to him when he wasn't looking. He suddenly realised that the kick had been taken, and the opposition wall was charging him, and he took a wild swing at the ball and fell over. The look on  his face was priceless - I think it was about then that he realised it was time to go over to  coaching!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 24 2005,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 24 2005,10:37)]A evening game back in the 80's...at halftime two blokes walk out onto the pitch opposite the north paddock with a mocked up coffin on pram wheels one bloke then wraps chains around the other one and padlocks them. The chained bloke then climbs into the coffin the other one stands back, there was a loud bang the coffin falls apart and the bloke stands up and the chains fall to the ground. seconds later the St John's men rush into the north bank and takes someone out on their wheelchair as they have had a suspected heart attack. I've not seen them since.....
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
The way I read that story, it was as though they weren't scheduled to be on the pitch and had just wandered on the pitch!!!
There was no announcement they just walked onto the pitch and started their act, most people weren't even aware of them, probably why the old boy had a heart attack.....

Definitely Sammy throwing the ball over his shoulder and into the net in the early 90's against Oxford was the funniest moment I remember in my Blues-supporting career! Although Steve Harkness and Chrissy Powell both running over a free-kick leaving no-one to take it against Watford in '95 was pretty funny too....or it would have been had we not been 4 down at the time!
biggrin.gif

1. Keith Lindsey, right back in the 70's. Lunging slide tackle. Missed the ball and the winger but took the linesman out! Pencils everywhere.

2. Rob Newman knocking 2 letters off the clock.

3. Swansea winger chasing the ball, fell flat on his face for no reason. Nobody within 20 yards of him.

4. The balls against Luton.

5. Brian Wheeler (the portly MC) doing the Half Time Challenge, fell flat on his back and didn't see the ball zip through the centre hole.

Neil Townsend's goal against Darlington at the Hall in the mid seventies.

Picture the scene - an evening game, Blues attacking the South bank (no flats then - just a big open terrace). Townsend hoofs the ball skywards and in the general direction of the goal from the halfway line. It is so far forward that not one blues player (or even defender) go for it. The keeper comes off his line to make what should have been an easy catch on the edge of the box.

However, the ball bounces over him. Not by much, and he could have turned around and simply caught it but for some reason he didn't. Instead he started chasing it towards the goaline where he loses his footing and ends up crawling on all fours after the ball, which has now finished bouncing and is trickling at a snails pace towards the line. At the last minute the keeper dives on the ball and ends up in the back of the net with it. 2-0 Southend.

The crowd were laughing so much they couldn't cheer.

Back