• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Commutes...

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Out of interest how far does everyone commute.

I currently do 1h 40mins mins each way from Benfleet when I can be bothered travelling to the office.

I am considering a contract in Bromley which would obviously be a lot more painful...

Roughly 15 mins to cycle to and from NR Quadrant (near MK station).

Last edited:
1h 10 each way with no work from home capabilities at the moment... hoping that will change in the near future.

From Southend East to Fenchurch Street then a five minute walk so door to door about 75 minutes each way on a good day.

On a bad C2C have made it much longer on a regular basis but this is probably the wrong thread to moan about that....

Last edited:
Just to Fenchurch Street then a five minute walk so door to door about 75 minutes each way on a good day.

On a bad C2C have made it much longer on a regular basis but this is probably the wrong thread to moan about that....

The bad days seem to be creeping back in...

Front door to car, as my car is my workplace. Is this the shortest commute?

Can't say I commute regularly since I'm officially retired but still working PT.So this Friday, for example, I'll be doing an examining shift for the British Council ,which will take me a 10 minute walk +20 min commute by train.Similarly next week, I have to invigilate a placement test at the French Lycee which will mean 2 ten min walks +the same 20 min commute before I start classes (2 days a week) at the end of September.

Do not do it now thank heavens, but I have commuted:-

Drive from Westcliff to Redhill in Surrey, 120 mile round trip 5 days a week + Saturday and Sunday every fourth week, 600 miles a week, over 31,000 miles a year, did it for 5 years.

Then job moved to Pontypridd in Wales, (just north of Cardiff) travelled down from Westcliff early on Monday morning travelled back Friday evening, 430 mile round trip. Did this for 2 years.

But my longest commute was to Hamilton in Scotland (just south of Glasgow). Up early Monday morning with drive from Westcliff to Gatwick (65 miles), catch the 7.00am Easyjet flight to Edinburgh (356 miles), then drive from Edinburgh to Hamilton (34 miles). Then back Friday evening arriving home around 11.00pm. Total round trip 910 miles.

After all that you would think I had enough of travelling, but no, my firm then wanted me to go to Guadalajara in Mexico which was over a 11,000 mile round trip.

When NR first opened in MK, plenty of people had horrific commutes. HR insist on a commute of no longer than 90 mins but some drove in from Essex, Wiltshire or Gloucestershire every day. Soul destroying.

I don't mind the occasional trip down to London, but everyday would seen me over the edge.

Including the short walks at each end , between 1.15 and 1.25 dependent on which train I end up sleeping on...had a 6 year break in my 40+ years of London work, where I commuted from Shoebury to Chelmsford, Initially on a Motorbike , sometimes I cycled in the summer, and a car.
Absolute chore in the early days (before new A130 and the weir Underpass)

i know someone who commutes from the isle of wight into the City. And someone else from Wales!!!

And there was a guy who worked here, stayed in a hotel Mon-Thursday, got the Megabus to Glasgow Friday PM, and returned on the bus for Monday AM.

When I worked at Coryton, one of the operators commuted from Birmingham but it was a three on, three off shift system and he stayed locally with a relative.

I'm Dual location so depends.

Chelmsford office:
15min walk

City office:
15min walk to train st
35min train from Chelmsford to Liverpool St
5 min walk to office
Generally about 1hr 20 door to door with waiting for trains, getting to train station 5 mins prior to depart time etc.

Moving soon but that will only increase the walk to the Office or Train St by 10 mins

Currently a 20 minute drive.

The contract before that was about an hour door to door to Covent Garden.

The contract before that was 2 hours door to door to Crawley.

The contract before that was about an hour door to door to Milton Keynes, although the 15 min drive home from Watford station could take up to 45 minutes alone on a really bad day.

After four hours travel a day to Crawley I think I'm due an easy time of it for a bit.

Currently doing just under 3 hours on Mondays to Brighton then Mon-Wed in a hotel, then 3 hours back on Thursday and working from home on Fridays.

Did a contract when I Southend East to Tooting Broadway every day, about 4/2 hours travel a day. But better than being away from home.

Back