• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

train prices as a whole to london are a joke, c2c may be better time wise but neither offer value for money, your not even likely to get a seat and then your likely to get some smelly nutter talking to himself along the way.

Where do you commute from?

your not even likely to get a seat and then your likely to get some smelly nutter talking to himself along the way.

my mare commutes from shoebury to fenchurch, then tube, from january he will be forking out over £4 k:omg:

Someone who commutes from the first stop on the whole line told you that you're not likely to get a seat? Or did you make that bit up yourself?

Someone who commutes from the first stop on the whole line told you that you're not likely to get a seat? Or did you make that bit up yourself?
i think you will find he would be ok on the way their dont you, its on the way back when you have got everyone"s armpits full in your face, what do you do sit on the outside of the train ?

Mine is £3140 from Prittlewell, how come your's is £3500 from Southend Airport?? I assume it's not a Travelcard season ticket as you said your job is in Bishopsgate. Unfortunately there is no escape from the ba""ards that are National Express. Their service is krap, their fares are krap, the workers are rude knuts. The good news is they lost their franchise and a new franchisee will take over in Feb 2012. Perhaps the new company will invest in the Southend line (particularly in the rolling stock) which makes them so much money.

Unfortunateley there is no coach service like there used to be either. That used to be half the price.

Welcome to the twice daily stress of the commute to London. Good luck in the new job!

Mine is £3140 from Prittlewell, how come your's is £3500 from Southend Airport?? I assume it's not a Travelcard season ticket as you said your job is in Bishopsgate. Unfortunately there is no escape from the ba""ards that are National Express. Their service is krap, their fares are krap, the workers are rude knuts. The good news is they lost their franchise and a new franchisee will take over in Feb 2012. Perhaps the new company will invest in the Southend line (particularly in the rolling stock) which makes them so much money.

Unfortunateley there is no coach service like there used to be either. That used to be half the price.

Welcome to the twice daily stress of the commute to London. Good luck in the new job!

No chance! It's just rented. Most High Street banks actually own the rolling stock, the TOC's just rent them at extortionate prices. The good ol' money go round that is the Railway - Nationalisation would make things so much cheaper.....

Elliott, what they're saying is pretty much spot on. Try asking at your new work about season ticket schemes although you may have to complete a probationary period or have a minimum length of service before you are eligible for itl. Best to stick with monthlys for the time being. The C2C advice is also good, they're forever seeming to win awards for the "promptness" and "reliability" of their service, though I know many of their users would disagree!

Best of luck with it all though, some of the happiest memories of my working life are from after work city life!

No chance! It's just rented. Most High Street banks actually own the rolling stock, the TOC's just rent them at extortionate prices. The good ol' money go round that is the Railway - Nationalisation would make things so much cheaper.....

And just where would this money come from to Nationalize the railways again? Couple this with the government spending for upgrading the existing infrastructure and building Crossrail and potentially HS2 it won't happen!

i think you will find he would be ok on the way their dont you, its on the way back when you have got everyone"s armpits full in your face, what do you do sit on the outside of the train ?

there are 3 trains every 15 minutes to Shoeburyness in the Rush hour on C2C, you don't have to stand if you don't want to. I
get the 5.45 of an evening, if I get to the station ticket barriers after 5.40 I know I will struggle to get a seat so I go straight for the 5.50 , so I get home 10 minutes later, its hardly a big deal.

And just where would this money come from to Nationalize the railways again? Couple this with the government spending for upgrading the existing infrastructure and building Crossrail and potentially HS2 it won't happen!

Dump them both, money saved, job done. HS2 is a white elephant - £28bn to save 30mins on a journey to Glasgow? Let's not fool anyone any says it's about capacity on the WCML, because I've already worked on a project to deal with that SHOULD HS2 get canned.

And you can already cross London by getting off at Liverpool Street and transferring to the Central Line.

Lets not forget that the latest project on the radar is the AC electrification of Southern England, which will cost far more than HS2 - just because of a little bit of snow that causes disruption for a few days a year. They can find the money for that, so why not re-nationalisation to stop this insane money go-round from your taxes, into (ultimately) the pockets of TOC shareholders and board members.

Clamping down on excessive internet use by employees might save a few quid........

Back