• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Contract Cancellations!

I see it as a way of not shelling out dosh for a while, dont pay the top earners for a month or two then ship them out, in the mean time get a new gaffer who will get players down on a promise that they will get contracts augustish, 2/3 months of not shelling out x amount of money, help ease the cash flow probs a little

Where I work, if we weren't getting paid we'd go on strike or take some other Union action. Macca, Mildy, Ads & Simon have, repeatedly, not been paid and are still owed money. They all have mortgages & family, like many of us. Could you pay the bills? I know I couldn't. The wages may seem obscene to those of us who earn much less but other league 1 clubs are paying more. The difference is that they have some financial backing to pay - and on time. Admittedly there are a lot of clubs, at all levels, who are trading in deficit, so maybe it's time to stop the adjournments and the other tactical stalling that Chairmen have become so adept at and put them into administration. It's not necessarily all bad. When Simon Francis was at Bradford they went into administration and are now solvent in league 2.

Just wondering why it is that everyday I log onto the southend website someone else contract has been cancelled. I know the wages most of these boys were on were obscene but surely selling them for something, even if its a nominal fee, would be beneficial to the clubs finances???

Its not just us though, even the mighty Barcelona failed to pay their players in June and have just let Henri go on a free, even though he had a year on his contract

Last edited:
And although loyalty is a wonderful thing, everyone wants to better themselves and it is not unreasonable to expect players to yearn for the higher leagues...that is after all what we are expecting them to do for us vicariously every match they play; get us promotion!
And as far as the wage thing goes, we all live a lifestyle dictated by our wage, so when that wage (whatever it may be) is taken away, we and our families will suffer......not everyone lives in a caravan like Freddy.

Letting them go was the only option, as they had been on the market for some time, and we didn't see the doors being knocked down to sign them??

Francis was our POTY last season , yet only Brentford made an offer that he wouldn't go to..

Macca had Millwall chasing him early in the season, but did we have any offers after the season...??

I would of thought that most clubs were well aware of our financial plight and knew if they hung in there the players would get released or walk...and they would then get them for free.

I agree, and because the offers weren't flooding in, it made more sense to get them off the wage bill..

In addition, it would also be the case that if during the ''Audit'' I could see someone saying, ''We are trying to sort things out, see what we have done to the wage bill?''

I agree, and because the offers weren't flooding in, it made more sense to get them off the wage bill..

In addition, it would also be the case that if during the ''Audit'' I could see someone saying, ''We are trying to sort things out, see what we have done to the wage bill?''

I agree, in a strange way releasing our biggest earners does demonstrate at least some commitment to turning a corner. It could yet be a saving grace.

Won't be in agreement if the likes of O'Keefe and Moussa leave though as they aren't big earners.

Barrett, Macca, and Mildy seemed to find other clubs very quickly ..was it because they were free or were they informed by the said players that they only had to wait awhile for them to get them for nothing.

Who knows eh.

Barrett, Macca, and Mildy seemed to find other clubs very quickly ..was it because they were free or were they informed by the said players that they only had to wait awhile for them to get them for nothing.

Who knows eh.

very good point and as you say we will never know . it would be very very intersting to know what signing on fees they negotiated, compared to what would have been 'normal signing on fees' if they had gone on a normal transfer- but again we will never know

business is business - and players only earn for a few years - and in the end they are getting ripped off by RM - i.e. not paid - and everyone can blame the agents but frankly RM could run rings around some players for years and years if they were not getting professional advice from their agents -

I expect all the players that have left are still owed money by the club and I expect their representatives will have to work very hard to get what they are owed off RM -

what fascinates me is the players who are left - JFC, Laurent, Granty, Moussa, Paterson - all good prospects - are they getting their wedge ?

I expect all the players that have left are still owed money by the club and I expect their representatives will have to work very hard to get what they are owed off RM -

QUOTE]
It has been suggested on other threads that part of the deal to let them go is that they do not claim for wages.Effectively they get their 'wages' through their signing on fee at the new club. I have no idea if that is correct, however I would suggest that if not that wages is part of the embargo, so in oder to come out of the embargo we have to pay them

Simon was only contacted by Brentford because so few clubs can afford to buy players for £150,000. I think he would have been keen to stay at Southend if we had not been relegated & he had been paid on time & the club was solvent. The Guardian Sport today is saying that auditors have said Southend is insolvent and can only trade because Martin Dawn is providing funds. However, Martin Dawn is currently subject to a winding-up order and so, presumably, is insolvent.

As I said on another thread, administration isn't the end. Bradford are still trading after being in admin whern Simon was there.

Back