• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

contracts

big-Al

i was just thinking, i know that there are a lot of financial factors involved in it, but i was wondering why we waste so much time and effort in giving good players one year deals and then just watching them walk out the door free of charge a year later.

i don't know how much we might have got for leon but i it sure would have left a less bitter taste in my mouth than the way things have turned out now.

wouldn't it be much more rewarding if we were to give our best players 2 year deals, so if some w***er from a nothing club like peterborough wants to steal our players, we can at least make some money off of their back-stabbing arses.

at least then the loyal fans who watch the same thing happen every year might get away with the concequences on losing that money, ie, paying more than AC Milan fans do every week to watch our local third division team play.

just a thought

Constantine was on the scr*p heap last August, so it's not really surprising that he only got a 1 year deal.

It would've been nice if we'd actually offered him one for next season though. After listening to BBC Essex, if what was said was true, someone at Southend has a lot to answer for.

Do you actually believe him when he says he wasn't offered a deal?

He's trying to make things look better for himself, as he quite clearly knows that he's shown bugger all loyalty to the club who saved his career in Professional football.

To be honest, Andy, in this instance I do believe him.

I was told by someone within the Shrimpers Trust who posts on here and has good links within the club (though I'd prefer to keep their identity anonymous on here) that as of Monday Leon still hadn't been made a contract offer.

I didn't think anything of it as, like most people, just thought it was just posturing from the club in contract negotiations. It appears, though, that it's blown up in the club's face this time if that were the case.

Well, the official site says Leon wanted 3 times what he was paid this year. Not surprising we hadn't offered him that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banned @ May 21 2004,19:47)]It would've been nice if we'd actually offered him one for next season though.  After listening to BBC Essex, if what was said was true, someone at Southend has a lot to answer for.
Typical Southend United leave everything until the last minute. It's about time we had people at the club who knew their arse from their elbow.

Im sorry but there is nothing wrong with leon asking for three times as much when someone like jay smith is being paid £1000 a week who hasnt even played much this season.

I also believe that the club never offered him a contract, thinking that if they left it to the last minute they might be able to get him to sign for liitle of nothing. Unfortunately it blew up in thier faces!

I mean come on lads are you trying to tell me if your companies rivals offered you twice as much as you are earning now, you wouldn't take it?

I know i damn well would
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SHRIMPALISIOUS @ May 21 2004,23:57)]I mean come on lads are you trying to tell me if your companies rivals offered you twice as much as you are earning now, you wouldn't take it?

I know i damn well would
tounge.gif
So would I.

Loyalty gets you no where.

Oh come its a dog eats dog world. If its there you have to take it. f**k everyone else.

Look at it like this, if leon aint got enough money to pay the bills im sure no of us are gonna lend hime the money!
biggrin.gif

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggggghhhhhh

Accept it Connie is gone, good luck to him.

Let's all look forward to next season with added optimism. I'm sure Tilly and Brushy will put a decent squad together. So what if Cort leaves for Hull, Maher to Sheffield Wednesday, Warren to Hornchurch and people don't sign contracts. There are so many players looking for clubs we should pick up a few. Shame we couldn't keep Connie but that's life!

Back