• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Controversial World Cup Moments

Apparently, they qualified alright but FIFA wouldn't let them play barefoot so they didn't turn up. Though I must stress that I haven't researched that one properly yet!

If it's a wind-up, I'm going to cry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 14 2005,10:22)]1974 Zaire v Brazil.
Brazil just about to take a free-kick & one of the Zaire players breaks from the wall and hoofs the ball up the other end of the park.  Promptly receives a yellow-card for his troubles.

Classic but true comedy, was done as a Phoenix From The Flames on Fantasy Football League.
Minute I saw the topic name, that's what I thought of. Comedy gold
laugh.gif

The Zaire moment might get in the next feature, "Ten Funniest Moments In A World Cup."

Not strictly speak a controversy, but it did make me laugh until my ears popped, so well worth a mention.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Dec. 14 2005,14:32)]Apparently, they qualified alright but FIFA wouldn't let them play barefoot so they didn't turn up. Though I must stress that I haven't researched that one properly yet!

If it's a wind-up, I'm going to cry.
I'm sure that is a wind up, but if true that is absolutely hilarious.

Just had a vision of small barefooted Indians tackling a big European Centre Half with big steel toe capped leather boots which lace half way up his leg.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

In the opening ceremony Diana Ross took a penalty to put Chris Waddle to shame.

Though the All India Football Association (AIFF) was only founded in 1937, Indian football goes way back to the late 1890’s when the first clubs were formed in the country. India has a few century old clubs like Mohan Bagan and Mohmmedan Sporting, which were formed in the years 1888 and 1889 respectively. Football is particularly popular in two regions in India - Calcutta and West Bengal.
Even its competition is a reflection of the long history of Indian football. The Durand Cup, started in the year 1888 has the distinction of being the second oldest tournament in the world after England's FA Cup.

Up until the early 1960s, India held its own against the football giants of Asia. The biggest highlight of country’s football history was qualifying for the 1950 FIFA world cup, along with the fourth place finish in the 1956 Olympics after losing to Bulgaria in the third place playoff matches. However, their qualification in the 1950 World Cup was marred when the AIFF declined to participate after FIFA prohibited playing barefoot. Nevertheless, India went on to win the Asian Games in 1951 and 1962.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Dec. 14 2005,17:05)]Diana Ross took a penalty to put Chris Waddle to shame.
She also predicted Southend would win the L2 playoffs last season which put his punditry skills to shame
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 14 2005,17:11)]Though the All India Football Association (AIFF) was only founded in 1937, Indian football goes way back to the late 1890’s when the first clubs were formed in the country. India has a few century old clubs like Mohan Bagan and Mohmmedan Sporting, which were formed in the years 1888 and 1889 respectively. Football is particularly popular in two regions in India - Calcutta and West Bengal.
Even its competition is a reflection of the long history of Indian football. The Durand Cup, started in the year 1888 has the distinction of being the second oldest tournament in the world after England's FA Cup.

Up until the early 1960s, India held its own against the football giants of Asia. The biggest highlight of country’s football history was qualifying for the 1950 FIFA world cup, along with the fourth place finish in the 1956 Olympics after losing to Bulgaria in the third place playoff matches. However, their qualification in the 1950 World Cup was marred when the AIFF declined to participate after FIFA prohibited playing barefoot. Nevertheless, India went on to win the Asian Games in 1951 and 1962.
That is incredible, and great research.

I knew India had never played in a World Cup Finals, but totally unaware of that bit of history.

Nice one.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Dec. 14 2005,17:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 14 2005,17:11)]Though the All India Football Association (AIFF) was only founded in 1937, Indian football goes way back to the late 1890’s when the first clubs were formed in the country. India has a few century old clubs like Mohan Bagan and Mohmmedan Sporting, which were formed in the years 1888 and 1889 respectively. Football is particularly popular in two regions in India - Calcutta and West Bengal.

That is incredible, and great research.

I knew India had never played in a World Cup Finals, but totally unaware of that bit of history.

Nice one.
biggrin.gif
cut and paste, I'm afraid.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Dec. 14 2005,18:21)]I was going to say that Brazilian in 2002, when he got a ball to the gut and tried to make it look like he'd been clouted in the head, idiot.
t'was Rivaldo

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Dec. 14 2005,14:06)]Be interested to hear that India story from 1950.

India have never qualified for a World Cup!
They did indeed qualify for the 1950 World Cup but withdrew when FIFA insisted that they had to play in boots and not barefoot ...

WS

1994 - Other memories. The Bulgarian keeper wore a wig and the Mexican keeper (Campos) had theeeee most loud and outrageus goalie tops going. Roger Milla scored against Russia at the grand old age of 42.

1990 - Frank Rijkaard and Rudi Voeller are both send off as Holland go down 2-1 to Germany, Franky boy does a huge gob of saliva into Rudi's mullet as he walks past him.

1998 - The last time Scotland actually made it
biggrin.gif

on the same vein as the 1950 India, I seem to recall Cameroon were not allowed to wear their sleveless shirts at the 2002 World Cup.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 14 2005,17:11)]Football is particularly popular in two regions in India - Calcutta and West Bengal.
Does that really count as two regions...? It's like saying "football is popular in two regions in the UK - Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Northumberland"...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Dec. 14 2005,21:01)]1994 - Other memories. The Bulgarian keeper wore a wig
Best memory of 1994 surely has to be Iordan Letchkov, the Bulgarian baldy, scoring against the Krauts and knocking them out. How can you not enjoy that...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

The keeper in question was, IIRC, Reading's Bobby Mihailov...

Matt

Back