• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some further thoughts on covid-19.

A little while ago a great friend (also on SZ) said to me (in a pm) "I want my old life back".

I'm sure many of us have felt that way in the last 6 months or so.

In fact it seems to me that in the (near) future we'll be thinking about life in terms of the 3 C's.

BC = Before Covid.

DC = During covid, (ie now). Perhaps the most difficult time.

AC = After covid when a vaccine has (hopefully) been rolled out.

Thoughts?

I am in no rush to commute back to London - I am more than happy working in my home office on my own.

I am in no rush to commute back to London - I am more than happy working in my home office on my own.

I can understand that.Interestingly,our younger daughter (at entry level in Paris) has been told by her firm that she needs to spend more time in the office if she wants to get the promotion she 's after (basically so people can get to know her properly,she's only been with the firm 7 months)!Consequently she's now going in for up to 3 days a week!.

Part of me wishes Covid-19 on them for being that stupid, but then the other part realises that they will no doubt infect it to people that are behaving and aren't total ****s

Anyone could've predicted this, another nonsensical rule with no scientific evidence to back it up which the government will probably U-turn on in a few days and which will only cause further damage to the hospitality sector. I don't blame young people for wanting to go out and enjoy themselves having been cooped up for several months because of a virus which is virtually no risk to them.

Anyone could've predicted this, another nonsensical rule with no scientific evidence to back it up which the government will probably U-turn on in a few days and which will only cause further damage to the hospitality sector. I don't blame young people for wanting to go out and enjoy themselves having been cooped up for several months because of a virus which is virtually no risk to them.
Virtually no risk to them doesn't stop them spreading the virus to those that are at risk from it. Nobody wants to curtail kids having a good time, we all yearn for that, but ignoring the risk to others as you suggest, is more than selfish. Thankfully a lot of the young of this country do recognise their social responsibilities.

Supermarkets are going to employ monitors to stop stockpiling when we go into full lockdown.

It's easier to make your own isn't it?

Never attempted but if another lockdown happens may well start home brewing to pass away the time.

Supermarkets are going to employ monitors to stop stockpiling when we go into full lockdown.

Pointless. Whats to stop me and my wife going in to Tescos (1 or 2 minutes apart) and purchasing one packet of loo rolls and then meeting back at the car, then driving to another Tescos or Sainsburys to do exactly the same.

I'd sooner they employed monitors at the door to inform people how to put a mask on (especially at Tesco Pitsea) Too many people seem to think its a chin warmer rather than a face mask

Never attempted but if another lockdown happens may well start home brewing to pass away the time.

Pointless. Whats to stop me and my wife going in to Tescos (1 or 2 minutes apart) and purchasing one packet of loo rolls and then meeting back at the car, then driving to another Tescos or Sainsburys to do exactly the same.

I'd sooner they employed monitors at the door to inform people how to put a mask on (especially at Tesco Pitsea) Too many people seem to think its a chin warmer rather than a face mask

Your track and trace will show you have already been shopping.

Rather than upset anyone by not having my mask on incorrectly, I find it easier not to wear one.

Virtually no risk to them doesn't stop them spreading the virus to those that are at risk from it. Nobody wants to curtail kids having a good time, we all yearn for that, but ignoring the risk to others as you suggest, is more than selfish. Thankfully a lot of the young of this country do recognise their social responsibilities.

Isn't it just a selfish to expect young people to stay in, even though they are not ill. Some older people are over reacting but will expect the next generation to pay for it all over the next two decades, whilst we enjoy all the benefits our risk taking forefathers paid for.

Isn't it just a selfish to expect young people to stay in, even though they are not ill. Some older people are over reacting but will expect the next generation to pay for it all over the next two decades, whilst we enjoy all the benefits our risk taking forefathers paid for.
It's not just about young people acting responsibly, it's about all of us playing a part. I'm certain from what I have personally witnessed that lots of the young do recognise that they need to be socially aware, in fact I have seen more signs from them than some of the older generations that don't give a **** about anything thing to do with Covid-19 because it isn't really happening. I have no idea what your views are on that, but I settle for you doing you and I'll carry on doing me. And with that I'm done.

Only if you've got the App?. I dont as i dont have an I-Phone etc, not that i would contemplate Supershrimper's suggestion!.
I'd love to get the app but my phone (HTC One M7) runs on Android 5 (Lollipop) Was going to treat myself to an upgraded phone in March, then we got locked down and i'm an old school kind of person who likes to see a phone, and feel it in the palm of my hand to see how comfortable it feels.

I'd love to get the app but my phone (HTC One M7) runs on Android 5 (Lollipop) Was going to treat myself to an upgraded phone in March, then we got locked down and i'm an old school kind of person who likes to see a phone, and feel it in the palm of my hand to see how comfortable it feels.

Ha, 'old school' like me. I still use a Vodaphone 'pay as you go' no bluetooth, google, internet etc. Just use it for calls & texts. A £10 'top up' usually lasts me 2-3 months!. ( Billy no mates! ).

I don't want to sound all tin hat, but the track and trace thingy doesn't sit well with me. I'm not happy the government knows my movements. Added to this pub curfews for 10 o'clock and not meeting up in large groups. Cant help worry where is all this going?

I don't want to sound all tin hat, but the track and trace thingy doesn't sit well with me. I'm not happy the government knows my movements. Added to this pub curfews for 10 o'clock and not meeting up in large groups. Cant help worry where is all this going?

You can always uninstall when you no-longer need it.

The difference these days is that where many of us were young, we'd finished drinking by the time pubs shut at 11, nowadays, young people are only just going out then so of course they are going to rebel and end up having "kitchen parties", as one told me recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back