• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of a new Brazilian variant...... What's to discuss - shut the damned borders now ffs and anyone entering the UK from South America who's been through Brazil in the last 14 days, stick 'em in isolation. Christ, you'd've thought someone would've got the idea on how to react by now, wouldn't you ? Guess not......:Facepalm:

Let's wait for the transfer window to close before restricting travel from Brazil.

I for one have been critical of the Government throughout this pandemic and rightly so, however, credit where credit is due, we're one of the leading countries to role out this vaccination programme.

When the UK is vaccinated we're going to have to throw money (and other countries) at 2nd and 3rd world countries to help vaccinate them. It doen't stop with the UK.

Saw a piece on the WHO investigation in China on the virus origin.

It stated that they would only be allowed to visit where the Chinese authorities said they could go and would only be given specific evidence by China to study.

Now I'm not 100% sure this is accurate but it seems to be, I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist but to if true I think that tells us all we need to know about what actually happened.

It stated that they would only be allowed to visit where the Chinese authorities said they could go and would only be given specific evidence by China to study.

Now I'm not 100% sure this is accurate but it seems to be, I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist but to if true I think that tells us all we need to know about what actually happened.

I wouldn't believe a thing the Chinese say to be honest.

True, but I also understand why they are wary of having the WHO being able to access lots of high-security research facilities. The WHO doesn't have the power to force the Chinese to do anything, so this was always going to be the situation.

Indeed. With all the restrictions China has put in place it gives the impression that the investigation will be a waste of time.

Reactions: GBJ

Yes, they aren’t exactly giving off an image of transparency. The most worrying part of that is, if we don’t know how it started, we won’t know how to stop it from happening again.

Will we ever know when the original Covid variant struck? It was first reported on Dec 31st 2019, so we know Covid had already began its quest for world domination by that point, but the Chinese haven’t been very forthcoming with any further details from what I’ve seen.

There are stories from people all around the globe who suffered with Covid symptoms as early as September/October 2019. It’s all anecdotal I know and it could of course be coincidental, but it shouldn’t be ignored either.

I also seem to recall very early on, the Chinese Government told The WHO (insert jokes here) that from their initial studies, the virus wasn’t transmissible from person to person.

Now, they either dropped a massive bollock on that one, or they did it to avoid panic and scrutiny.

I’m booked in to have my first jab next Wednesday.
At the hospital?
It appears that lots of the smaller gp surgeries cannot do the jabs and their patients are being left behind.
I know several over 80s in Southend who are yet to be contacted while in Rochford they have started vacs on over 75s.

BJ is to hold a press conference tonight, mainly about the more transmissible Brazilian covid variant. Despite banning flights from Brazil, he's probably going to tell us it's too late, and it's already here. Maybe it's time to shut down the UK, and not let any flights in. At the moment, we are letting people arrive from Countries, and then a few weeks later finding out that the Country has a new or/and worse strain. After the horse has bolted, and after they have started to spread it here.

BJ is to hold a press conference tonight, mainly about the more transmissible Brazilian covid variant. Despite banning flights from Brazil, he's probably going to tell us it's too late, and it's already here. Maybe it's time to shut down the UK, and not let any flights in. At the moment, we are letting people arrive from Countries, and then a few weeks later finding out that the Country has a new or/and worse strain. After the horse has bolted, and after they have started to spread it here.
Covid-19: Brazil virus already in UK ‘not variant of concern’, scientist says - BBC News

Now, they either dropped a massive bollock on that one, or they did it to avoid panic and scrutiny.
i suspect it's the former - remember in the early days nobody even realised it was airborne, there were huge unknowns. Given the ancedotal stories from around the world, I don't think we can even be certain that it started in China. There's a saying - something like don't think something is malicous when stupidity can explain it - think that can be adapted for this situation

Last edited:
Headlines from Boris's statement:

Boris Johnson says it would be "fatal" if progress on coronavirus vaccinations makes people complacent about the risk of infection.

Cancer treatments are being postponed because of cases being dealt with in hospitals, he adds.

With 1,280 deaths since yesterday, he reminds people that handling something touched by an infected person can catch the virus.

The PM says the closure of air travel corridors from 04:00 on Monday will apply across the UK.

This will initially happen for a month, although it will be kept under review and could be extended.

Anyone arriving in the UK must quarantine for 10 days or they have the choice of doing an extra test on day five to shorten the isolation.

Outlining the measures to come into place, he calls them "vital", as "day by day, hour by hour" progress is being made in vaccinating people.

He adds that 3.2 million people across the UK have received vaccines.

Prof Chris Whitty tells the press conference that the number of cases is still "extremely high".
"We are still at the place where just shy of one in 50 has Covid," he says. But the chief medical officer for England says there is some "levelling off" in the cases "thanks to enormous efforts by so many people" and because "virtually everyone" is adhering to the guidance.
"We were not sure this was going to be possible with the new variant," he adds.

I also seem to recall very early on, the Chinese Government told The WHO (insert jokes here) that from their initial studies, the virus wasn’t transmissible from person to person.

As long as we don't get fooled again

At the hospital?
It appears that lots of the smaller gp surgeries cannot do the jabs and their patients are being left behind.
I know several over 80s in Southend who are yet to be contacted while in Rochford they have started vacs on over 75s.

Yes mate, Basildon hospital.

From how I understand it, the trouble with smaller GP surgeries is that they’re waiting for the more stocks of the Oxford vaccine.

The Pfizer one obviously isn’t suitable for smaller surgeries as it can’t be stored like they do at the hospital, and the Oxford one is in short supply atm.

It’s coming though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back