• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in health data/statistics and referring to data in both singular and plural contexts is very normal/common. Agree it might not be grammatically correct, but there are bigger things to worry about. Plus I was responding to a post where it was used in that way and kept to the same grammatical style for clarity ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not questionning your experience.Even my copy of The Good English Guide:.English Usage in the 1990's by Godfrey Howard tell me that "by the end of the century datum like agendum is likely to become obsolete.FWIW, I make Godfrey right.

Incorrectly perhaps. But hey this thread isnt about you

Absolutely not but at least you would appear to agree that it would have been better (gramatically speaking) to have used an adverb.

Last edited:
Very encouraging data again today. 5766 positives from 1,500,000 tests. Does put the risk level into perspective.

Kids finished school for the day, and next door have friends round with the mum, to play. And the neighbour there is a teacher herself. Now, I don't believe the restrictions have been relaxed that much, but hey, give them an inch and they take a mile!

Just been for a mid afternoon stroll forgetting schools out was back in full flow. Parents all back to gathering in groups with no distance or masks.

Got the blood pressure down and thought I'd sneak into Sainsburys Local for some post match chocolate. Only to find a bloody great queue of parents and children and a staff member back on doorman duties. Surely the have had all day to get what they need. Gave it a miss and decided single malt will be needed later.

If the kids were in school then they couldn't get what their kids wanted before they finished school. Perhaps, actually, it is you that had all day to get what you needed?

Just a thought!

Kids finished school for the day, and next door have friends round with the mum, to play. And the neighbour there is a teacher herself. Now, I don't believe the restrictions have been relaxed that much, but hey, give them an inch and they take a mile!
I believe that is an example of why the Guv is staying with it's date lines. Some folk will always stretch it until it breaks.

Last edited:
I believe that is an example of why the Guv is staying with it's date lines. Some folk will always stretch it ntil it breaks.

The chances of outdoor transmission are very low. Being outside and social interaction are imperative to our mental health. Really can't see too much wrong with this to be honest.

Chris Whitty predicts surge in Covid as lockdown is eased

By Rebecca Creed @Becky_CreedDigital Audience and Content Editor
Professor Chris Whitty told MPs cases could rise but it was uncertain if this would be in the summer, autumn or winter

Professor Chris Whitty told MPs cases could rise but it was uncertain if this would be in the summer, autumn or winter

14 comments

England’s chief medical officer says the country could see a surge in Covid-19 as lockdown restrictions are eased.
Professor Chris Whitty told MPs cases could rise but it was uncertain if this would be in the summer, autumn or winter.
He also rejected calls to ease lockdown faster saying a lot more people could die.
Modelling data considered by the Sage scientific panel has suggested that even under the most optimistic set of assumptions, at least a further 30,000 Covid-19 deaths could occur.

It comes as this week the country began the roadmap out of lockdown with schools reopening.
Prof Whitty told MPs the modelling reflected the fact that it was a common virus and “even if you have a relatively small proportion of people still remaining vulnerable, that still equates to a very large number of people overall”.
That might include people for whom the vaccine is not effective, those who do not take it or those in younger groups who have not yet been offered a jab.

Read more:
“What we are going to see is, as things are opening up, what all the modelling suggests is that at some point we will get a surge in virus,” he said.
“We hope it doesn’t happen soon, it might for example happen later in the summer if we open up gradually or because of the seasonal effect it might happen over the next autumn and winter.
“All the modelling suggests there is going to be a further surge and that will find the people who either have not been vaccinated or where the vaccine has not worked.
“Some of them will end up in hospital and sadly some of them will go on to die.”
Echo:

Prof Whitty said the modelling was an “indication of general principles” rather than a specific prediction.
But the models demonstrated that “if you open up too fast, a lot more people die”.

He told MPs that even opening up in a “steady way” such as in the road map would result in more deaths, but fewer than in a rushed release of restrictions.
“It is really important that we do not give any impression that what we are expecting is this just goes away and there is no further deaths.
“That is not realistic and I think to pretend that to the British public would be completely wrong.”
Prof Whitty defended the approach of allowing five-week time intervals between steps of unlocking in order to assess their impact on the virus – saying leaders in all countries had eased off too quickly in the past.
He told MPs: “If you look at the history of this all around the world, the history of this is not full of countries and individual leaders wishing they had done more, faster.
“It’s full of leaders who wished they had acted quicker and then been more careful as they take things off.”

If the kids were in school then they couldn't get what their kids wanted before they finished school. Perhaps, actually, it is you that had all day to get what you needed?

Just a thought!

My mum used to say "i want gets nothing". So surely a bit planning for after school is not rocket science especially in these strange times.

Anyway time to check the MM wining formula.

I got a letter from the NHS a couple of weeks ago to book online my two covid vaccinations. I did that straight away for the Cliffs Pavilion and got confirmation. A few days ago I got a text from my doctors, saying I need to book my covid vaccinations. Bless them.

When i received the call yesterday, i explained i'd already booked my jabs at Mill Hall, & was told they'd remove my name from their list for booking them.
Blow me, i get a text this afternoon from my GP, asking if i want to book one for tomorrow!.
As you say 'bless them'!.

When i received the call yesterday, i explained i'd already booked my jabs at Mill Hall, & was told they'd remove my name from their list for booking them.
Blow me, i get a text this afternoon from my GP, asking if i want to book one for tomorrow!.
As you say 'bless them'!.

Lo & behold, received another phone call from G.P's this morning, offering me a jab today at 1pm!.
So i walked across the road & had it, saves going to Rayleigh on Sun & cancelled that one.

Good news Thursday:

10 million new vaccine doses available - aiming for all over 50s and all underlying health conditions by end March. 40-49 early April, 30-39 late April and 18-29 starting in May.
Enough supply for the 2nd doses for people already jabbed to run concurrently.

Also, massive news on the therapeutic front, GSK/Vir's VIR-7831 appears to be a highly effective early treatment for people with high risk of severe COVID-19. Massive treatment effect at avoiding hospitalisation and/or death. Follows other similar mAbs that have been granted EUAs.

Our older daughter (36) got a text yesterday asking her to book a vaccine slot.* No problem with that, as I've long argued that teachers -and she's a ft teacher at the LFB -are essential workers ,who should be vaccinated ahead of other age groups (and anyone in the Spanish Health System, Police or Army in Spain already has been vaccinated ).

We're talking about the Oxford AS vaccine, of course.Ironically Spain was due to announce yesterday that they'd be using the Oxford vacccine with over 65's (following on from Germany 's and France's lead in this regard).However Denmark's decision (along with a couple of other Scandinavian countries) to supend using the Oxford vaccine has thrown a monkey -wrench in that plan, in Spain at least.

Without wishing to get into a vaccine nationalism debate I can't see it's going to be easy for the Spanish Govt. (and to a lesser extent France) to fulfil their pledge to vaccinate all their adult citizens by the summer.Especially since vaccination of the over 65 age groups hasn't started yet in Spain.Clearly the UK will, almost certaintly, achieve this goal.

*Even more ironically our daughter apparently intends to wait until she's heard how a few of her colleagues get on with their jab before rushing to sign up for it herself.

Last edited:
Our older daughter (36) got a text yesterday asking her to book a vaccine slot.* No problem with that, as I've long argued that teachers -and she's a ft teacher at the LFB -are essential workers ,who should be vaccinated ahead of other age groups (and anyone in the Spanish Health System, Police or Army in Spain already has been vaccinated ).

We're talking about the Oxford AS vaccine, of course.Ironically Spain was due to announce yesterday that they'd be using the Oxford vacccine with over 65's (following on from Germany 's and France's lead in this regard).However Denmark's decision (along with a couple of other Scandinavian countries) to supend using the Oxford vaccine has thrown a monkey -wrench in that plan, in Spain at least.

Without wishing to get into a vaccine nationalism debate I can't see it's going to be easy for the Spanish Govt. (and to a lesser extent France) to fulfil their pledge to vaccinate all their adult citizens by the summer.Especially since vaccination of the over 65 age groups hasn't started yet in Spain.Clearly the UK will, almost certaintly, achieve this goal.

*Even more ironically our daughter apparently intends to wait until she's heard how a few of her collegues get on with their jab before rushing to sign up for it herself.

I find Scandinavian ducking out of using the AS vaccine a bit strange considering it's been developed in part by a Swedish company, or have I got that wrong?

I find Scandinavian ducking out of using the AS vaccine a bit strange considering it's been developed in part by a Swedish company, or have I got that wrong?
It's a merger of a British company Zenica formerly ICI pharmaceuticals and a Swedish company Astra. Essex County Council pension fund had (I hope still) loads of shares to keep me in the style I've become accustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back