• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is and of course dependent on where you live and what your outgoings are that may seem a lot or not. If you live and work in London in particular.

More problematic is although this is "announced" the details remain unclear and the portal to register still doesn't exist. Trust is not at a high level and some companies are concerned there will be small print or not delivered upon as a result of this and are just laying people off- they can't wait... Not good at all.

The lack of precision and clarity is making so much so much wporse..
This is all done via PAYE and as an employee your salary is paid as normal as if by your company. My company have told me I’m not required to work for 3 months and that 80% of my salary will be paid. It’s £2,500 *or* 80% whichever is greater, so I’m told. I’m on a days’ notice to return. Colleagues have been laid off. So, this doesn’t mean “no redundancies”. It’s allowing companies to retain staff for the long haul (which is great) but isn’t stopping short term restructuring and cost cutting.

I am still lost here as to whether we go to work or not. We are working outside atm and they say you can travel to work??

I am still lost here as to whether we go to work or not. We are working outside atm and they say you can travel to work??

I plan to call into my office on the way to the shops to collect some work that I can do at home. I will be on my own, and always do shopping on a Tuesday. I also want to empty the bin at work as that will be a rancid mess in 3 weeks time!

I do think they should have clearly allowed for people to go into offices to sort out a plan to move forward. We have house sales progressing, a completion during the 3 week period and several tenants due to move out and in during that time.

Well, @?Ck knows what that means for me.

I'm a self employed gardener. I have a dozen clients. I work totally on my own. Providing those clients who are at home don't go near me (easily fixed) then I am totally isolated all day.

But am I essential? Certainly not compared to a health worker or a supermarket worker. But folk rely on me to keep their gardens in order, I work only in private gardens and not public places, and in some instances work on my clients veg patches to keep them supplied in fresh veg which helps to keep them healthy, and them seeing their garden in order helps to keep their minds healthy. Further, this is a time when folk will want to be in and enjoy their gardens (when I'm not there!) as their activity outside of their home/garden area is now curtailed

Would be very interested in your views.

Michael Gove has just said on the TV that people can tend their allotments because they will be in the open air and not near anyone. Also construction - because it’s outdoors and essential safety maintenance can continue.

Agreed Cricko, totally confused as to what I can do. I work easily more than two metres away from anyone - in many instances in large gardens quite often 200 plus metres from anyone.

Half the country are going to be gardening.

Just be careful travelling to/from the job and interacting with clients.

Sports Direct have now announced they are closing. As for self employed tradesmen, Michael Gove suggested just now that if you need a plumber, electrician or similar as you have problems in the home then it was acceptable to bring someone in. Deciding whether the work is essential is open to debate I suppose.

Gove also said that construction sites will remain open.

Last edited:
M1 is gridlocked apparently. What's the next stage of this to make the idiot population of this country see sense? Military on the streets with live ammo? I ****ing despair.

The tube this morning. All esssential workers.....my arse.

Also construction - because it’s outdoors and essential safety maintenance can continue.
What I don't get is that yesterday Nicola Sturgeon quite clearly asked all building sites in Scotland to close.

The supply chain for building sites are massive with daily deliveries from all over. So all those places supplying and delivering to building sites must also all still be operating.
The construction workers themselves come from all over the country so lots of those will still be traveling around the country.

People will soon realise the chances of you actually getting stopped by the Police are virtually zero and slowly more people will get out and about for more than just an essential journey.

The Police federation made a statement last night and they were not happy, as they clearly know they can't police this situation.

They should say all construction buliding sites etc have to close down and not leave this miss mash of some can some cant bull. It leaves things so up in the air.

M1 is gridlocked apparently. What's the next stage of this to make the idiot population of this country see sense? Military on the streets with live ammo? I ****ing despair.

I hope not, I have 6 years reserve of service which would mean no doubt I would get called back.

What I don't get is that yesterday Nicola Sturgeon quite clearly asked all building sites in Scotland to close.

The supply chain for building sites are massive with daily deliveries from all over. So all those places supplying and delivering to building sites must also all still be operating.
The construction workers themselves come from all over the country so lots of those will still be traveling around the country.

People will soon realise the chances of you actually getting stopped by the Police are virtually zero and slowly more people will get out and about for more than just an essential journey.

The Police federation made a statement last night and they were not happy, as they clearly know they can't police this situation.

I don’t get either. I think they have it wrong. 60 seconds later the BBC were panning down on a construction site. Hardly anyone was 2 metres apart. There must be dozens of tasks that need workers close together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back