• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
1965, QPR at home.

Bus 2/3d (from Basildon- half fare)
Entrance 9d
Programme 4d
Transfer to West stand 6d

Total = 3/10d or 19p for the youngsters who don't remember pre-decimal!

How much would that be now adjusted for inflation?

Other first memories;

Chipmunk crisps, pipe smoke, ABCDE etc. for the half times, brass band. the coin blanket, reading out the teams "for the late-comers", cushions for the seats, wagon wheels.

I think my first game cost £2, but that was because I'd done one of the soccer school training things with my club on the Saturday morning. Think it was in 2001.

I think this is an overspill from the terrifying Southend youth thread... anyway, I can't remember the costs of my first game as my Dad took me when I was 8. I seem to remember the programme being 6d and it came with a little 4 page pamphlet called Football League Review or something like that.

I also remember the guy wandering around the South Bank yelling "Programmes and Handbooks" and another selling Percy Daltons peanuts.

I bet several will remember the half time scoreboard, marked from A-N I think, and the games corresponding to each letter were shown in the programme, so A may have been Arsenal v Burnley, B could have been Birmingham v Chelsea, etc etc. After my first game I actually bought the Subbuteo accessory of that!

Who else remembers corner flags also marking the centre line?

1965, QPR at home.

Bus 2/3d (from Basildon- half fare)
Entrance 9d
Programme 4d
Transfer to West stand 6d

Total = 3/10d or 19p for the youngsters who don't remember pre-decimal!

How much would that be now adjusted for inflation?

Other first memories;

Chipmunk crisps, pipe smoke, ABCDE etc. for the half times, brass band. the coin blanket, reading out the teams "for the late-comers", cushions for the seats, wagon wheels.
Inflation calculator says that would be £1.77 in today's money

Was ball boy a few times as a kid in 1981-82 seasons but first game I paid for was in the northbank around 1984 at a cost of around £3 I think, never looked back after that:smile:

Now, for an evening game, it's £19 ticket, £7.60 train plus £2.10 parking, £3 programme =£31.70. A tad more than £1.77!

I used to get taken to games in 1980, no idea the cost then as didnt pay.

£4.50 for north bank in 1990 or so is first I remember.

Some great spots there.

The Football League Review inside the programme and the pipe smoke. Can still almost smell it now.

Other memories, as well as the above.

The programme/club shop by Priory Park.
The blue stanchions in the goal, when sometimes you couldn't be sure the ball had gone in or hit the post.
That amazing first view as you walked in at the top of the South Bank.
Oh and that feeling as you got off the train and started walking to the ground for a Friday night game, with the floodlights coming into view.

Sure it was something like 60p for the South Bank and £1.20 or £1.80 for the seats.

To be fair when I started coming with mates it was £1 to sit in the South Lower and a bus from Canvey was 60p.

That was in 1994.

I think entrance to the North Bank back in 1991 was £5. I remember getting to the ground about 1pm and to be first in the queue in front of the turnstiles, roughly where the North East collection office is now. When they opened the doors to the turnstiles, it was a case of pay your money and run like the clappers to get my fave location, right behind the goal and one of the barriers about a third way up the stand to give myself something to lean on

1988 7 pound an adult 1 pound a child to sit in the east stand .

There was always the man with a pipe , that looked like a bonfire on a stick and smoked everyone out with it .

Bloke with the pipe was probably Patsy Coleman. Sold programmes with the likes of Bob Tanner, Bill Newman and his son, and Bill Starky. They were selling programmes on and off from 1955 to the mid seventies.

Not a clue of the cost as my dad took me but was in 2001 1-0 win over Kidderminster. My dad won the half time raffle to shoot through the hole for a old Ford Fiesta, which he duely spooned over into the south upper. Dave Mcsweeny took his second kick lol.

When I were lad I used to catch bus from The Haystack to Benfleet station, and then to Southend Central (return) walk to ground and get in all for 5 shillings :omg:

I think it worked out something like Bus 1 shilling each way
Train 3 shillings return
Entrance 1shilling and sixpence 1/6d
Also programme was 6d so must have been 6 bob all in.

Home work for younger fans is to find out what im talking about and which year.:cricko:

Back