• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

When I was shopping in Morrisions on Friday I noted that there pack of 3 small tins of Heinz beans had jumped form £1.89 to £2.39. In Home bargain these same tin of X3 beans are £1.39 - thats a £1 cheaper!
Inflation is not running at 10% yet but it seems some of these price increases are way above the current inflation rate. This is probably why Tesco has withdrawn all Heinz products.
When is it all going to end?
Not for the foreseeable future i fear?. We appear to be plunging into an abyss of many disgruntled professions asking for decent pay rises ( & why not as why should working people's disposable incomes diminish after several years of no pay increases? ).
I think that come Autumn & Winter, when electricity & Gas usage will be a lot more than now, many households will be shocked at what they will have to pay.

5 Papa John's pizzas for £5 In Asda. Quite the touch.
Are they actually Papa Johns? Had a 'Pizza Express' branded pizza in my Tesco's order this week - if any restaurant had dished that up to me if would've been send back! Nowhere near the standard of the last time I was in pizza express - which admittedly was probably over 3 years ago.

When I was shopping in Morrisions on Friday I noted that there pack of 3 small tins of Heinz beans had jumped form £1.89 to £2.39. In Home bargain these same tin of X3 beans are £1.39 - thats a £1 cheaper!
Inflation is not running at 10% yet but it seems some of these price increases are way above the current inflation rate. This is probably why Tesco has withdrawn all Heinz products.
When is it all going to end?
I wonder if they are putting prices up on some items at above inflation (and then some!) price increases so they can keep some items at a lower price.

To save money on lunch I've recently been cooking a couple of chicken breast and then used this to create wraps, burritos etc I've made the change from chicken breast to chicken thigh. And my last purchase I went with bones and skin included and then did the required butchery at home. Every penny counts, especially with the cost of petrol for 2 cars, and the upcoming energy price rises in October and dare I say it April 2023

I wonder if they are putting prices up on some items at above inflation (and then some!) price increases so they can keep some items at a lower price.

To save money on lunch I've recently been cooking a couple of chicken breast and then used this to create wraps, burritos etc I've made the change from chicken breast to chicken thigh. And my last purchase I went with bones and skin included and then did the required butchery at home. Every penny counts, especially with the cost of petrol for 2 cars, and the upcoming energy price rises in October and dare I say it April 2023

Chicken thigh is a much tastier piece of meat.

I'd take the skin off but cook it on the bone and strip the meat when cold.

Much easier than boning it.

Having just received my latest dual fuel bill from EON Next I'm £176 in credit. So do I build that up or claim it back? Price hike again in October suggests leave it be but it's earning EON interest instead of me. Decisions decisions.
The balance forecast on my Octopus account reckons I need to up the d/d by £30/mth based upon “historic readings, 5 years of weather in your local area and local weather forecasts for the next 25 days”. What a load of b-sh*t!

Are they actually Papa Johns? Had a 'Pizza Express' branded pizza in my Tesco's order this week - if any restaurant had dished that up to me if would've been send back! Nowhere near the standard of the last time I was in pizza express - which admittedly was probably over 3 years ago.

My mistake. Goodfellas.

The balance forecast on my Octopus account reckons I need to up the d/d by £30/mth based upon “historic readings, 5 years of weather in your local area and local weather forecasts for the next 25 days”. What a load of b-sh*t!
It'll also be "...hotter than Barcelona/colder than Oslo/milder that Chattanooga"! Or some other irrelevant comparisons.

The price of Petrol

1.456 per Litre (£5.512 a Gallon)

I can remember paying 1/6d per Gallon.

So a 15 Gallon tank used to cost £1.2s.6p to fill up, now costs £82.68+
Blimey when was that? I remember my dad's friend moaning because it went op from 3/3 a gallon to 3/3½. That must have been about 1962. (Roughly 3.6p a litre).

I think we are in for some serious discontent the way it's going. This cannot continue the way it is.

Butter now has security tags on it and is nearly £10 a kilo. Butter is not a niche food product, it's a household staple. Unbelievable.

The purchasing power of GBP is vanishing. Every week I'm buying less food for more £.

Considering buying gold soon, probably a better way to protect my savings in case we see a major crash. About the most stable asset out there really.

Butter now has security tags on it and is nearly £10 a kilo. Butter is not a niche food product, it's a household staple. Unbelievable.

The purchasing power of GBP is vanishing. Every week I'm buying less food for more £.

Considering buying gold soon, probably a better way to protect my savings in case we see a major crash. About the most stable asset out there really.
we normally buy Lurpak or Countrylife butter, however seeing the prices I went for Bertolli spread instead. Half the price and healthier too !

we normally buy Lurpak or Countrylife butter, however seeing the prices I went for Bertolli spread instead. Half the price and healthier too !
Same as me and I have also changed over from brand names to supermarket own although the only item I will not change is Heinz Tomato Sauce and Heinz beans. I cant get these in Tesco now due to them no longer stocking Heinz.
I have also started shopping in Lidl and am pleasantly surprised by some of the items and the difference in price

Went into Pets at home earlier and whiskers upto 4.69 I noticed. Wasnt long ago it was 3.50 max, normally 3 quid on offer.

Same as me and I have also changed over from brand names to supermarket own although the only item I will not change is Heinz Tomato Sauce and Heinz beans. I cant get these in Tesco now due to them no longer stocking Heinz.
I have also started shopping in Lidl and am pleasantly surprised by some of the items and the difference in price
The wise person spreads their shop across multiple supermarkets.

We gave Farm Foods a try on Eastern Avenue yesterday. Very pleasantly surprised at the prices for staple stuff and lots of two for one offers. There is another branch at the Greyhound Stadium estate. Worth a look.

I am also noticing the ‘deals’ or yellow labels have al but disappeared on supermarket products.

We generally shop at Tesco, but also use Waitrose (surprisingly no real difference in price than Tesco or Sainos) and occasionally Morrisons.

I am also noticing the ‘deals’ or yellow labels have al but disappeared on supermarket products.

We generally shop at Tesco, but also use Waitrose (surprisingly no real difference in price than Tesco or Sainos) and occasionally Morrisons.

There is a couple of decent apps out there. Olio is one that I use. You get yellow label items but all for free from people that collect it direct from the shops and then distribute out.

You can't do your main shop but worth just checking whats in your area thats available

We've got a wedding anniversary coming up in September and I've booked a restaurant just outside Dedham which we've enjoyed before. On special occasions at home I'll buy in a bottle or two of NZ Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc from Majestic and it will cost me around £19/20 a bottle. I've just checked the wine list at the restaurant and they are listing the same wine at £66.50p so won't be drinking that when we go there!!

We've got a wedding anniversary coming up in September and I've booked a restaurant just outside Dedham which we've enjoyed before. On special occasions at home I'll buy in a bottle or two of NZ Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc from Majestic and it will cost me around £19/20 a bottle. I've just checked the wine list at the restaurant and they are listing the same wine at £66.50p so won't be drinking that when we go there!!

There is always excessive markup on wine. It's how a lot of restaurants make money.

Back