• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Could Bristol Rovers poach Kev?

Weird isnt it? Couple of months ago, I was saying that "surely Kev cant take much more", "wouldnt blame him if he left", "go with our blessing" etc

If he left NOW, I'd be absolutely furious tbh.

You'd think Still would go with him (and prob Benno and Curry - though one or both may fancy carrying on the work here as boss). Maybe come back for a Cardwell or a Husin.

I still cant see Kev doing that to us, but ... you just never know.

Yes I did console myself with that rationale. If Kev had been No.1 target they would have asked to speak with him before the weekend and as you say others have had meetings. It was just disconcerting to see our man being described to the T! On the plus side shows what a 💎 we have !
That's when the echo reported it - might have happened way before.

I think the Lindsey rumour has lega, and rumour has it they've been speaking to Stephen Clemence too. Probably others who fit the mould - we just don't know of them, so our minds instantly go to Kev!
I heard Kev named from a Kent based NLS manager not just guessing from the sort of manager they’re looking for. Before I heard I wasn’t even in the slightest worried like everyone else on here

How does everyone know what was in Kev's mind? Did he discuss it freely with anyone that asked, or was the intention to make sure that any negotiations on renewing his Southend contract did not get brushed aside? I doubt we will ever know. What I do know is that if it was me in the mix I wouldn't discuss it with anyone apart from my closest associates, ones that didn't have a flapping mouth wide open to the public.

Gills reckon it will be done this week so we shall soon find out.

Can’t see Kev going, all that waffle could cover any number of Managers plus the last line states that the new coach will have nowt to do with bringing new players in and I firmly believe ANY manager/coach must be involved in that side of things

Another **** chairman playiplaying ming game with another clkubs supporters He is as bad as Ron for playing with a clubs supporters Must have gone to the same school of nasties

Would gillingham take a chance on someone who has never managed a football league club ?

Can’t see Kev going, all that waffle could cover any number of Managers plus the last line states that the new coach will have nowt to do with bringing new players in and I firmly believe ANY manager/coach must be involved in that side of things
Think you need to read the last line again.

Think you need to read the last line again.
That is a really good point I originally missed. In what is already a very insecure profession (football management), the prospect of having no say in recruitment and having to accept the judgement of the Director of Football on new players would be worrying when it is the Head Coach that is held accountable for the team's results.

Would gillingham take a chance on someone who has never managed a football league club ?
Not that I think Gills are about to announce Kev, but just in response to your question... why wouldn't they? It's not like they're appointing a manager of a part-time club at step 7 of the system. He's one level down from where they are in the pyramid and doing exceptionally well in the most trying of circumstances. His acumen as a football manager, and his brilliant attitude, is there to see.

Edit: To add to the point above, if they do appoint Clemence, I don't believe he as ever managed any club... EFL or otherwise. He has been a coach in the EFL, but so has Kev.

Last edited:
That is a really good point I originally missed. In what is already a very insecure profession (football management), the prospect of having no say in recruitment and having to accept the judgement of the Director of Football on new players would be worrying when it is the Head Coach that is held accountable for the team's results.
Fully agree with you, there seems to be a trend where the so called manager is basically a head coach who is given a squad of players selected by a D of F. I have always thought that this is a recipe for disaster. The better model is when someone like John Still puts forward names to the head coach but the coach has the final say on if he wants to sign him.

Fully agree with you, there seems to be a trend where the so called manager is basically a head coach who is given a squad of players selected by a D of F. I have always thought that this is a recipe for disaster. The better model is when someone like John Still puts forward names to the head coach but the coach has the final say on if he wants to sign him.
That's the model we have used over the last few seasons, (Head coach) we have so many backroom staff we could raise a team with them alone, not that it does us much good!

Back