• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

united we stand

Life President⭐
Could this turn out to be one of our greatest years ?

I freely admit to be a ‘glass half full’ kind of person , and I would much rather look on the positive side of things if possible so bear with me- as I know this goes against the gran for some :winking:

· We are going to Wembley,
· We still have a chance of the play offs
· Mkandawire and Reeves may not have been interested in coming back to us if it were not for the JPT ?
· When Mkandawire went back to Millwall he asked to talk about a contract extension, two months later there is no contract extention and he is out of contract at the end of season
· Many of us are worried over who will leave at the end of season. I can see a scenario where we win at the JPT, Reeves and Mkandawire come back , plus our walking wounded. Mohsni plays brilliantly, without the sending offs and baggage. We make the playoffs on the final day. With that momentum, we win through to league one. Mkandawire signs, Mohsni signs (and stays and/or we sell for good money), none of our other players (Chlohesy etc) decide to leave

Yes reading the above many may look at their watch and think ‘he started early ‘ but I like to think of some of the other things I have read on SZ in the last year
· Eastwood will never play for Southend - just before he signed
· Tomlin could not hit a barn door with a banjo – just before his amazing run of form
· Barry Corr will never play again – said the morning of his comeback
· Mohsni will never play for Southend
· Can’t see us making the JPT final
· Smith is xxxx- the day before Brentford away

Strange things can happen, and whilst it is still possible, I am dreaming of two days out of Wembley and the double. If you can’t dream what’s the point? (maybe even construction will start at Fossets next year)

Come on you Blue Boys :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Going to Wembley, winning and then going onto get Automatic promotion would make it one of our better years ,
Though promotion to the 2nd tier (Twice) and the two seasons where we were in with a brief shout of getting promoted into the top flight would beat it for me. As would our first ever Promotion and THAT Dave Smith season...

I haven't given up hope yet of promotion, with Mkandawire rejoining and other players coming back from injury I still hope we could make Wembley for the second time this year, and be kicking off in league 1 next season.

Wembley is a nice day and and good for morale and finances but the league placing has been a let down to say the least given how we did last year and for me this season is only really about a good day at Wembley now unless we really pick up and end up making the play offs. Automatics totally out of reach now if you ask me.

Wembley is a nice day and and good for morale and finances but the league placing has been a let down to say the least given how we did last year and for me this season is only really about a good day at Wembley now unless we really pick up and end up making the play offs. Automatics totally out of reach now if you ask me.

but thats my point , the playoffs are still possible , and with Reeves and Mkandawire (hopefully) re signing plus players coming back from injury there is still the potential for us to do it . JPT is hopefully just the start of lots of good news :smile:

I'm still hoping for autos, not out the question yet,as a few teams start to get the gitters,much rather be chasing 🙉🙉🙉🙉

but thats my point , the playoffs are still possible , and with Reeves and Mkandawire (hopefully) re signing plus players coming back from injury there is still the potential for us to do it . JPT is hopefully just the start of lots of good news :smile:

They are still possible if we were playing well and winning. The last few home games I have seen (And Barnet away) give me little confidence that we are going to make it. Tam is a welcome return but were still missing Laird and Timlin from the midfield that got us right up there.

Cant see us getting much at Vale on Saturday and so that leaves us needing to pick up max points from the March home games (we havent won at home in the last three home games) and even then we face trips to Rochdale and Bradford.

Call me a cynic and I would love to be proven wrong but with the points gap, players with an eye on Wembley and the current poor form were in its going to take a massive push to get us in there. Therefore to me no its not been a very good season all be it I cannot wait for the day out that is Wembley.

Last edited:
Yes it could be a great season, but ONLY IF we go up.

Yes winning the JPT would be great, but without promotion to go with it, for me it will be just a fond memory.

Failure to win the JPT and failure to go up, would turn a potentially great season into a complete disaster, very quickly.

Fine lines....

Yes winning the JPT would be great, but without promotion to go with it, for me it will be just a fond memory.

Failure to win the JPT and failure to go up, would turn a potentially great season into a complete disaster, very quickly.

Fine lines....

100% agree- very fine lines-- so whilst it is still possible lets rejoice and dream of what may come to pass

Love to optimism!

We still have an outside chance, but need to improve our form big time! Looking at our next 5 fixtures, we have a tough game against Port Vale, but the next 4 are against bottom half clubs which can hopefully bring us some results and momentum.

Getting Mkandawire and Reeves back on loan will definitely help, as well as Tomlin and Laird back from injuries.

Fine lines....

Am I alone in thinking getting to play at Wembley is actually the prize and winning it will be a bonus ? As I dont really value the competition itself Im not overly fussed if we win it, Ill remember the day for just getting to Wembley.

Agree completely though that it will be a memorable event either way, but anything but a good performance in the playoffs and the season goes down as a failure for me.

So many people said they would choose getting to Wembley over promotion but as I pointed out at the time that sounds nice, but in reality most people actually wont find that acceptable.

In answer to the original post the only way this will be considered one of our best seasons is if we win the play-off final. Anything less and it cant be....

Am I alone in thinking getting to play at Wembley is actually the prize and winning it will be a bonus ? As I dont really value the competition itself Im not overly fussed if we win it, Ill remember the day for just getting to Wembley.

Agree completely though that it will be a memorable event either way, but anything but a good performance in the playoffs and the season goes down as a failure for me.

So many people said they would choose getting to Wembley over promotion but as I pointed out at the time that sounds nice, but in reality most people actually wont find that acceptable.

In answer to the original post the only way this will be considered one of our best seasons is if we win the play-off final. Anything less and it cant be....

Agreed - Win or loose I dont think anyone really cares that much. Its a nice bit of silverwear and it adds to the club "honours" but at the end of the day if we loose....we all got a good day out of it.

I agree! nice to see some positive air blooming! just think back to last year with Crewe, were in a very much similar situation when they were chasing that last play-off spot! Many teams above start the get the jitters!! like we did to screw up autos last year!!

I agree! nice to see some positive air blooming! just think back to last year with Crewe, were in a very much similar situation when they were chasing that last play-off spot! Many teams above start the get the jitters!! like we did to screw up autos last year!!

That's right. If we finish seventh I'd back us to win the play offs. That's often the case. So we need 74 points. Eight wins.

That's right. If we finish seventh I'd back us to win the play offs. That's often the case. So we need 74 points. Eight wins.

Problem we have only 11 games left and how many games have we won in our last 11? Just 3 :stunned:

We need a massive turn around in fortunes, I cant see it happening away to Port Vale, so that leaves us 10 games to get 8 wins.

We're not really chasing the play-offs more like fallen out of them and desperately hoping we can claw our way back in.

Back