• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Coventry City vs Southend United, Saturday 3 August 15:00 - St Andrews, Birmingham

Who would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there are several things to consider.....

Oxley looks by far the popular choice to start in goal...

Elvis and Ralph pretty much pick themselves!!!

As does Milligan and from reading KBs comments Mantom.

Other than that I’d say there are lots of ifs and buts....

It’ll be two from 3 (or four if Shaughnessy signs) and Lennon looks a certain starter too, so who to partner him? Shaughnessy (if signs), Kiernan or White? Kiernan as a player, for me but KB may well go with Whites winners mentality and reliability...

I think the friendlies have shown he favours the 433 with three central midfielders so with Milligan and Mantom seemingly nailed on, had Dru done enough?
He looked full of zest at Billericay but hints of a hamstring injury at Dagenham with a possible protected 45 v Millwall and another 60 mins at Gillingham two days later haven’t been quite the same.....whereas Hyam missed much of pre season but came back and played Millwall and Gills.....my feeling is KB likes Hyam and is yet to be fully convinced by Dru....

On the day will he opt for the more solid /experienced three of Hyam, Milligan and Mantom??

In the wide areas the same can be said of McLaughlin.....he missed two weeks injured then had a less than convincing appearance v Millwall.....yet he remains a popular choice with fans who still believe he’ll find the form of two seasons ago.....Goodship and Hutchinson have both had promising pre seasons and it could be a decision based on who offers a more solid consistent performance in the heat of a first day of the season.....my feeling is going with Goodship AND Hutchinson will be seen as too much of a risk. Goodship has got the nod to start in all the “bigger” pre season games and so my guess is Macca and Goodship.....

Up front, something isnt quite right about Humphrys.....he started the games on fire but hasn’t seemed the same in sub appearances at Dagenham or Gillingham and didn’t look entirely happy v Millwall......the fact he’s away back up north at this time of season is a worry and if it’s a funeral it must be someone close (god forbid) for him to be away do more than just the actual event.....Robinson did his chances no harm at all with a couple of goals off the bench v Millwall but in truth that’s the only real contribution he’s made in pre season....

Again it may be a case of KB opting for a 100% committed and focussed Robinson.....

My feeling is this.....opening day away to to Coventry KB will happily take a point and that may be enough for him to leave anyone who is seen as a slight risk or minimal gamble to be on the bench and the side to be made up of as much experience and reliability as we have....

I expect the bench to be :-

Bishop
White
Kiernan (if Shaughnessy signs)
Hutchinson
Humphrys
Yearwood
Kelman

I think there are several things to consider.....

Oxley looks by far the popular choice to start in goal...

Elvis and Ralph pretty much pick themselves!!!

As does Milligan and from reading KBs comments Mantom.

Other than that I’d say there are lots of ifs and buts....

It’ll be two from 3 (or four if Shaughnessy signs) and Lennon looks a certain starter too, so who to partner him? Shaughnessy (if signs), Kiernan or White? Kiernan as a player, for me but KB may well go with Whites winners mentality and reliability...

I think the friendlies have shown he favours the 433 with three central midfielders so with Milligan and Mantom seemingly nailed on, had Dru done enough?
He looked full of zest at Billericay but hints of a hamstring injury at Dagenham with a possible protected 45 v Millwall and another 60 mins at Gillingham two days later haven’t been quite the same.....whereas Hyam missed much of pre season but came back and played Millwall and Gills.....my feeling is KB likes Hyam and is yet to be fully convinced by Dru....

On the day will he opt for the more solid /experienced three of Hyam, Milligan and Mantom??

In the wide areas the same can be said of McLaughlin.....he missed two weeks injured then had a less than convincing appearance v Millwall.....yet he remains a popular choice with fans who still believe he’ll find the form of two seasons ago.....Goodship and Hutchinson have both had promising pre seasons and it could be a decision based on who offers a more solid consistent performance in the heat of a first day of the season.....my feeling is going with Goodship AND Hutchinson will be seen as too much of a risk. Goodship has got the nod to start in all the “bigger” pre season games and so my guess is Macca and Goodship.....

Up front, something isnt quite right about Humphrys.....he started the games on fire but hasn’t seemed the same in sub appearances at Dagenham or Gillingham and didn’t look entirely happy v Millwall......the fact he’s away back up north at this time of season is a worry and if it’s a funeral it must be someone close (god forbid) for him to be away do more than just the actual event.....Robinson did his chances no harm at all with a couple of goals off the bench v Millwall but in truth that’s the only real contribution he’s made in pre season....

Again it may be a case of KB opting for a 100% committed and focussed Robinson.....

My feeling is this.....opening day away to to Coventry KB will happily take a point and that may be enough for him to leave anyone who is seen as a slight risk or minimal gamble to be on the bench and the side to be made up of as much experience and reliability as we have....

I expect the bench to be :-

Bishop
White
Kiernan (if Shaughnessy signs)
Hutchinson
Humphrys
Yearwood
Kelman

One question - why do you say that Lennon looks a certain starter? Ahead of Kiernan? ?

Left footed CB are like rocking horse **** and millwall was undoubtedly his closest to preferred starting line up game....

Looking forward to this one, it'll probably be my last game for a while and a new stadium for me (does it count if you're not playing the home team?)
Yep according to the oddbods at the 92 club it will count as a new ground for you.

"I notice it is only Bolton and Bury with their points deductions that are keeping us out of the bottom four...."

I am hoping this is a statement that will not be common place
any time between close of play Saturday and next May. I couldn't go through that again.

John white?? Really

Groundhog Day if we have the debate again- but each and every manager has ultimately gone with him and I would ahead of Lennon at this moment. But tbh if he goes with Lennon with Kiernan that will be fine too. Kiernan will definitely start I am sure

Groundhog Day if we have the debate again- but each and every manager has ultimately gone with him and I would ahead of Lennon at this moment. But tbh if he goes with Lennon with Kiernan that will be fine too. Kiernan will definitely start I am sure
You really ain’t got a clue

I am with you Kent Blue so will join you as being Clueless

Back