• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Covid - possible impact on football?

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
With the new virus causing havoc in the country and a number of games being postponed certainly hope we aren't affected as the club needs all the cash we can generate especially at this time of year when bigger crowds are expected

If the season gets scrapped on points per game, it looks like we're safe though (Thanks to Yeovil getting postponed and goal difference).

Really, we need try our hardest to win games over the holiday period, incase of any lockdown/long term footballing break takes place.

People can believe whatever they want to about new variant.
But bottom line is NHS has been ramped out now for several years without any COVID coming along.
It’s not COVID filling up the hospital’s.

People can believe whatever they want to about new variant.
But bottom line is NHS has been ramped out now for several years without any COVID coming along.
It’s not COVID filling up the hospital’s.
It has been for sure, but my sister who is a nurse says they were full of Covid during the height and still have a lot of beds taken up with those suffering the effects

The Maidenhead game was called off because of 1 Covid case in their camp?

Needs to be done sort of set guidelines on how many cases deem a postponement. At what point would they stop us going to the grounds etc

I know only the south and east stands are open Saturday but with this new variant and the transmission of it it may be better to open up more so people have plenty of space (mind you am not expecting a great crowd)

It has been for sure, but my sister who is a nurse says they were full of Covid during the height and still have a lot of beds taken up with those suffering the effects
Yeah there is quite a few COVID cases in hospitals down here in the West Country. But we have had ambulances trying to unload in the summer at hospitals, some patients waiting 12 hours.
Although I’m retired, I’m still working for NHS.
I personally think government are using COVID for their political advantage, don’t want to start a debate on it really. COVID-19 isn’t very nice to get but everybody stay safe.

If the season gets scrapped on points per game, it looks like we're safe though (Thanks to Yeovil getting postponed and goal difference).

Really, we need try our hardest to win games over the holiday period, incase of any lockdown/long term footballing break takes place.
That's assuming it gets scrapped now instead of after Christmas, we lose a match and the teams below us win (or even draw) and we'd be in the relegation zone. I don't think it will get scrapped though, can see fans being restricted again but we've already had a season with no fans so I can't see why the government would go so far as to cancel the league (unless the clubs demanded it).

I know only the south and east stands are open Saturday but with this new variant and the transmission of it it may be better to open up more so people have plenty of space (mind you am not expecting a great crowd)
Hoping the club decide to supply hand wash in the East Stand ladies toilets - I plan to take some and leave it there for other supporters to use if the dispenser is empty.

Think yourselves lucky you’re not in HK. We have similar issues with anti vaxxers, though in our case it is (bizarrely) the elderly. The rest of us are being held to ransom with the biggest impact being on travel. Last Christmas I had to do 21 days in Dubai when I left UK before being allowed back to HK to then serve out 21 days hotel quarantine.

This time around there are 3 likely scenarios

1) the current situation is that I will need to do 21 days hotel quarantine
2) the most likely situation is that I will need to do 7 day government quarantine followed by 14 day hotel quarantine
3) the next most likely situation is UK will be banned again so 21 days in a wash out country followed by 2 above

The hotels are a designated list so capacity is an issue, take full payment up front and are wriggling out of refunds for cancellation and amendment. The government wriggles out by saying the hotels are a commercial arrangement (laughable) between you and the hotel.

The government quarantine is awful including patchy WiFi which, for a tech rich country like HK, is a joke.

Mask wearing, by the way, is pretty much 100 percent all day every day, unless you’re out in the countryside (like me).

On the flip side day to day life has never been anywhere as restrictive as the rest of the world

Even worse if you are an airline pilot not turning around on same flight. Some Cathay Pacific pilots have done 150 days of quarantine this year.

The question is is someone classed as an anitvaxxer for simply asking the question after being promised two vaccines was the way out, vaccinate the vulnerable and 15 million jabs to freedom for months they are now being told it's 3 and you have to show proof of it to partake in some forms of society. You're not a raving Piers Corbyn loony for simply asking the question you told me 2 was enough but why is it now 3?

In regards to the talk of another lockdown, if it will happen or not I don't know. But it's been near on 2 years now. Call me selfish or whatever you want but mentally I simply cannot do another one.

Would be nice if the Chancellor made an appearance too or don't scare the living daylights out of people to not visit hospitality. I don't agree with all the bailing out but either don't tell people not to go somewhere or put some support in place. In what should be the busiest time of the year a whole sector has been decimated.

Would be nice if the Chancellor made an appearance too or don't scare the living daylights out of people to not visit hospitality. I don't agree with all the bailing out but either don't tell people not to go somewhere or put some support in place. In what should be the busiest time of the year a whole sector has been decimated.
Tom Kerridge shared a post on his social media yesterday - 654 cancellations in one of his restaurants. Yes, he can probably afford it, yes "cancelled" is spelt incorrectly (it's an American booking system apparently) but this is just an example of what the hospitality industry is facing.

I ducked our Christmas works do at the Roslin earlier this month for a number of reasons, but feedback was that it was no less full than normal, and I do think a lot of places could help themselves by actually not trying to cram everyone in. Aspera at Tarpots, for example, you wouldn't know there was an ongoing pandemic, your neighbouring tables are literally within arm's reach.

The question is is someone classed as an anitvaxxer for simply asking the question after being promised two vaccines was the way out, vaccinate the vulnerable and 15 million jabs to freedom for months they are now being told it's 3 and you have to show proof of it to partake in some forms of society. You're not a raving Piers Corbyn loony for simply asking the question you told me 2 was enough but why is it now 3?

In regards to the talk of another lockdown, if it will happen or not I don't know. But it's been near on 2 years now. Call me selfish or whatever you want but mentally I simply cannot do another one.

Agree with a lot of the ponts you make in your last paragraph but you can't blame people for not wanting to take chances with their health or that of their loved ones over Xmas, especially with the record figures for covid cases announced yesterday,which answers your previous question as to why a booster is necessary.Basically with this new variant we're back to the mantra "none of us is safe until all of us are" territory.

Last edited:
You're not a raving Piers Corbyn loony for simply asking the question you told me 2 was enough but why is it now 3?
We ordered 60 million booster jabs back in April, it's not like the idea of boosters has come out of nowhere. I do agree that the government is far too keen on springing surprises out of nowhere with no care with how it affects people's businesses though.

We ordered 60 million booster jabs back in April, it's not like the idea of boosters has come out of nowhere. I do agree that the government is far too keen on springing surprises out of nowhere with no care with how it affects people's businesses though.

"The expectation is that the most vulnerable groups will be offered another jab before next winter". That to me doesn't sound like a stampede of those aged 18 and above who have had both jabs already and just having the booster to get into a nightclub.

Agree with a lot of the ponts you make in your last paragraph but you can't blame people for not wanting to take chances with their health or that of their loved ones over Xmas, especially with the record figures for covid cases announced yesterday,which answers your previous question as to why a booster is necessary.Basically with this new variant we're back to the mantra "none of us is safe until all of us are" territory.
The thing is in my opinion this is not living with the virus. If you're vulnerable and wish to have the booster, wear a mask that's up to you. But we can't restrict the country every winter because of a new variant.

I am booked in for my booster but after that I really am getting to the end of going along with this. That doesn't mean I'm selfish and don't care about others. But we are pretty much at 2 years of this now. It really cannot continue like this.

"The expectation is that the most vulnerable groups will be offered another jab before next winter". That to me doesn't sound like a stampede of those aged 18 and above who have had both jabs already and just having the booster to get into a nightclub.

The thing is in my opinion this is not living with the virus. If you're vulnerable and wish to have the booster, wear a mask that's up to you. But we can't restrict the country every winter because of a new variant.

I am booked in for my booster but after that I really am getting to the end of going along with this. That doesn't mean I'm selfish and don't care about others. But we are pretty much at 2 years of this now. It really cannot continue like this.

I would agree that the UK in particular is not "living with the virus " very well.

(As I've said on here before) on a trip over in October my wife in particular was struck by how few people in a large indoor venue like the Cliffs (1,000 capacity) were wearing masks.That was also true of public transport at the time.Wearing a mask won't necessarily save your life (that's what the vaccines are for) but they will help in reducing the spread of infection.

I understand your last point and would hope that we'll be living with the virus better in future.

I would agree that the UK in particular is not "living with the virus " very well.

(As I've said on here before) on a trip over in October my wife in particular was struck by how few people in a large indoor venue like the Cliffs (1,000 capacity) were wearing masks.That was also true of public transport at the time.Wearing a mask won't necessarily save your life (that's what the vaccines are for) but they will help in reducing the spread of infection.

I understand your last point and would hope that we'll be living with the virus better in future.
This is what's great about forums and everyone's own opinion. That's yours and your entitled to it. I can't say I agree as wearing masks as living with covid could continue endlessly and indicates a return to world anywhere near pre March 2020 may never happen.

Back