• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer

You have clearly not seen Palmer very often.

Let's both hope that this continues to be the case..........

PS

Top scorers we have bought - off the top of my head:

David Crown
Brett Angell
Steve Phillips (probably)
Andy Thomson
Bobby Gilfillan
Sammy MacMillan (probably)
Graeme Jones (probably)
Iirc we also bought Cambridges Second top scorer the year we got Crown...Peter Butler.
Mark Salter was Fromes top scorer (and still is)

PS

David Crown
Brett Angell
Andy Thomson
Bobby Gilfillan
Graeme Jones (probably)

PS

David Crown
Brett Angell
Andy Thomson
Bobby Gilfillan
Graeme Jones (probably)

I did say league players as we were talking about an L2 player rather than Scottish or non league.

I also remember those players from the rose tinted wonderful days 30 years ago when we used to spend money in the transfer market .

No I haven't seen OP play that much. What I did see was u useful number 9 that lead he line well at RH and an even better player at Crawley. He lifted the home crowd in the first 15 and scored 2 good goals to take it to extra time. None of the 450+ shrimpers were calling him a dokey that night.

Why are we still banging on about this limited skilled over rated petulant donkey!

It's not just OP though. The point is we need a proper number 9. One that won't cost any money..... The rest of us will be more than happy to discuss anyone you have in mind.

I hope people aren't expecting a rash of signings in the first week of Jan. As somebody said, the wages from those injured players haven't magically disappeared from the budget sheet, and Powell is already having to reduce our budget following the largess of the last days of Brown.

We are low in the food chain and will have to wait until the clubs above us have decided who they want to let out on loan. I wouldn't expect much activity until the last week or so of the month.

I hope people aren't expecting a rash of signings in the first week of Jan. As somebody said, the wages from those injured players haven't magically disappeared from the budget sheet, and Powell is already having to reduce our budget following the largess of the last days of Brown.

We are low in the food chain and will have to wait until the clubs above us have decided who they want to let out on loan. I wouldn't expect much activity until the last week or so of the month.

We must have insurance against major injuries to players. I can imagine insurance paying wages of Lennon, Coker and Hopper. This must be a common thing in football

If we are going to spend money, then the player must be capable of replacing Hopper in the short term and then playing alongside him. I would venture to suggest that is going to be difficult.

Our last pay out was for Harry Lennon in June, not quite 30 years ago, so we do cough up if we think its worth it, I appreciate we now have little cash , so no doubt loans or freebies will top the list. Certainly we need extra cover for this season if not beyond. Agree a proper number 9 would be a key acquisition.

Two players we could do with as back-up, maximum.

Both I would loan in for the moment and assess in the summer.

We must have insurance against major injuries to players. I can imagine insurance paying wages of Lennon, Coker and Hopper. This must be a common thing in football

Coker , with an injury per season record would probably command a serious premium ......

Not sure how it would quite work, as there it appears to be no tangible loss for the club, except for the cost of medical expenses

The player could only claim on a personal policy for loss of earnings .

Being forced to retire is a different issue.

I suppose the club could have a contract clause which stops a players wages in the case of an extended injury but takes out a loss of earning policy on behalf of the player to reimburse them.

I know there used to be insurance in place by national FA's to compensate clubs if a player suffered a long term injury whilst on International duty

That said there is probably something in place

Our last pay out was for Harry Lennon in June, not quite 30 years ago, so we do cough up if we think its worth it, I appreciate we now have little cash , so no doubt loans or freebies will top the list. Certainly we need extra cover for this season if not beyond. Agree a proper number 9 would be a key acquisition.

Did we pay money for Lennon?
Yes he is a big lad but is really a number 9?

It's not just OP though. The point is we need a proper number 9. One that won't cost any money..... The rest of us will be more than happy to discuss anyone you have in mind.

We are more than likely going to have to dip our toes into the loan pool if we want a decent number 9, and not waste any cash we have on players like OP.
He may be able to score in a poor league 2, but his 1st touch is awful, his attitude stinks and his work rate is poor, this is just my opinion based on the 2 times I have seen him.

Blues ‘n’ twos, Try reading post 18 because we are actually thinking the same

Blues ‘n’ twos, Try reading post 18 because we are actually thinking the same

Rigsby I wasn’t picking you out personally, I just cannot see why so many are banging on about someone who will not bring anything substantial to our team.
It would appear that the desperation of some zoners tends to cloud their judgement IMO.
Apologies for any confusion.

It's a bit frustrating that Ladapo has banged n 12 goals for Plymouth and is among the leading goalscorers , how is that possible ?

Sometimes it clicks as a forward and sometimes it doesn't.

It didn't when he was here.

The Man U was a one off, for a start I wouldn't back any current players to score a 30 yard free even with no wall or a keeper. Over 46 games you need a good shot stopper, we have had in our promotion seasons. Cusack was one of my favourite and certainly dominant CB's but behind him was a great keeper in Mervyn Cawston. If I remember right then Anton and Spence also made the Div 4 league team of the season, which was the spine of the team.
I don't agree with you a keeper is more important than you say ask man Utd why they have paid so much to keep him as for a one off with man Utd I remember Liverpool Chelsea Derby all had good keepers

Mental that Peterborough have got Lee Tomlin back, what a signing! Bet we can't even afford Gavin Tomlin.

Back