• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer

He’s definietly someone who Powell should be enquiring about because he caused us problems and is exactly what we’ve been missing with Hopper out.

He’s definietly someone who Powell should be enquiring about because he caused us problems and is exactly what we’ve been missing with Hopper out.
Anyone can cause us problems I think we can do a lot better than Palmer.He didn't inspire me when we played them .

How often have we bought any league clubs top scorer or even their top player. So for those that say we can do better than Palmer, it can only be through the loan system.

Kieffer Moore worked well for Rotherham because he was from a Championship club and as you may have seen the other week is no skinny academy player. We either go down that route or face disappointment in the rarely productive January window. We signed Theo in a desperate last minute deal and plenty are still unhappy with that,

Asking for a friend... Do people think wages from injured players somehow magically disappear from the wage bill? There seem to be quite a few willing to spend other people's money on here, but the reality is a loanee or two to plug the worst gaps is much more likely than a spending spree on longer contracts with outlay further into the future stunting a managers plans.

Max Clayton's contract is due up soon. So is Josh Maja's, Lenell John-Lewis, Adebayo Akinfenwa and Chuks Aneke

:Smile2:

Chuks aneke would be my first choice out of those names, still hungry and can play in a number of attacking positions.

Max Clayton's contract is due up soon. So is Josh Maja's, Lenell John-Lewis, Adebayo Akinfenwa and Chuks Aneke

:Smile2:

Maja has 'apparently' turned down Premier League/Championship clubs to stay at Sunderland for now.

Aneke won't leave MK Dons while they're top. He'd be leaving fantastic facilities and is probably on a bigger wage than we can offer.

Bayo would have been fab a few years ago, always wanted him. Problem is, he hardly ever plays full games and can't play consecutively. We need someone that can play regularly.

So hard to attract 'top' strikers at the best of times (Lyle Taylor springs to mind) let alone trying to sign them in January with our current situation.

Being honest, I actually think we'd struggle to sign Palmer even if we tried to.

Ollie Palmer isn't actually that good. OK he has scored 9 goals this season (I think .. not checked) but the rest of his playing style is far from perfect. The 9 goals he has scored have all been poachers instead the box so he isn't what I would class as a striker, more of a ball pusher.

Also, quite a few fans moan about some of our older players and especially the ones on long contracts ......... Ollie will be 27 in January, so he is hardly a spring chicken. (not past it yet though may I add).

What team is it that has a policy not to sign any players under 23 ? Was it Pompey ?

How often have we bought any league clubs top scorer or even their top player. So for those that say we can do better than Palmer, it can only be through the loan system.

Kieffer Moore worked well for Rotherham because he was from a Championship club and as you may have seen the other week is no skinny academy player. We either go down that route or face disappointment in the rarely productive January window. We signed Theo in a desperate last minute deal and plenty are still unhappy with that,
Josh wright- gills poty and top scorer- so it proves it can happen, and also proves that it can mean sod all ?

Have to say I’m enjoying watching you argue over which Orient reject would be a better signing to save your season. As previously mentioned, Palmer is a hard working but entirely limited donkey. Gnanduillet is talented but incredibly lazy and contributes next to nothing in open play.

I mentioned on the FA Cup thread about Gnanduillet being half asleep when the ball broke near him in a goalmouth melee at Solihull Moors, so that does sound about right for him.

Have to say I’m enjoying watching you argue over which Orient reject would be a better signing to save your season. As previously mentioned, Palmer is a hard working but entirely limited donkey. Gnanduillet is talented but incredibly lazy and contributes next to nothing in open play.
It wasn't much of an argument Stokesy. the majority had already sussed the donkey factor ages ago. As for Gnanduillet, we already have some stupid names at the club spelling wise, so he definitely doesn't feature in Mr Powell's plans for FL1 calibre talent.

Its the kind of transfer that may be worth a shot. So many journeymen from league two, like Eaves go on to be this leagues top scorer.. Eaves signed from Yeovil is beyond us now, having netted 13 goals, he is attracting attention from Rangers, Hibs, Millwall, Blackburn, Rotherham and Preston apparently, Just 6 months left on his contract and he doesnt appear to be shaking the hand of the Gills chairman, He scored 18 last season with a hat trick against us.
Maybe Palmer could follow in his tracks and be a surprise turn for us, not much to lose

Wait till you've watched him a few times.

No thanks.

17 days until the cavalry can come charging over the hill, I hope our new recruitment team have already been busy in preparation ?

You have clearly not seen Palmer very often.

Let's both hope that this continues to be the case..........

PS

Top scorers we have bought - off the top of my head:

David Crown
Brett Angell
Steve Phillips (probably)
Andy Thomson
Bobby Gilfillan
Sammy MacMillan (probably)
Graeme Jones (probably)

Last edited:
Back