• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer

Deluded Optimist

Schoolboy
Anyone else who watched yesterday think that Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer would be a great possibility for January to fill the massive gap left by Hopper's injury?
He was big, strong, quick and a constant nuisance yesterday - his domination of White in particular helped Crawley build their foothold back into the game.
Well worth a second look as a realistic target for January. Fortunately we now have a replay to do just that.

He only signed in June for them on a 2 year deal and signed for a fee too. It will cost us and I cannot see us going that route. Can imagine we will get a loan in to cover the time Hopper is out.

Anyone else who watched yesterday think that Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer would be a great possibility for January to fill the massive gap left by Hopper's injury?
He was big, strong, quick and a constant nuisance yesterday - his domination of White in particular helped Crawley build their foothold back into the game.
Well worth a second look as a realistic target for January. Fortunately we now have a replay to do just that.

But when actually looking at how he played, he couldn’t pick a pass, couldn’t shoot, had little link up play with the team. Being a physical nuisance was all he was, and for League 1 level we need a bit more than that

Maybe he just seemed good in comparison to Robinson. Palmer was a tall. aggressive, committed, chase everything, jump for everything type of player. Robinson was tall.

Palmer is a journeyman, non-league and bottom division player and has been throughout his career. We made him look much better than he is and White was not the right player to (be trying to) mark him.

I agree with all that said about Palmer , but I also thought White gave as good as he got and won his fair share of the battles too - thought it was a good tough even contest

This is bang on! Was somebody that should have been looked at over the summer. Strong player who can hold the ball up.

Comments from Lincoln fans when he left for Crawley:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/ollie-gone.82377/

He was only an impact sub for them, and whilst some thought he should have been given more chances to start given his record off the bench everyone seemed pretty optimistic that he was replaceable. Whilst Lincoln are a good League 2 club that will probably be up there come of the season I'm not convinced we should be signing players that fans of a League 2 club weren't too fussed to let go, surely we can do better.

Unfortunately

But when actually looking at how he played, he couldn’t pick a pass, couldn’t shoot, had little link up play with the team. Being a physical nuisance was all he was, and for League 1 level we need a bit more than that

Not really a footballer. More a rugby player in the wrong sport. He also spat the dummy at every decision he didn't get and we already have Cox to do that for us

No. Looked like a lump. No skill. Remember the Rory Gallagher song?
"Brute force and ignorance".

No. I think he's maximising everything he has to play at the level he does. Big and strong he may well be, but he doesn't have anything else about him that stands out.

Thanks for the responses and especially to those who seem to have done a bit of research.

It's of course all opinions and most of you seem to think we're too good for him. Not what i saw yesterday, and I see from Chris Phillips' Twitter that Chris Powell describes him as a tricky customer. He has also seems to have started to score more regularly at exactly the same stage in his career as Tom Hopper.

I am sure he would have helped hold the ball up from all our second half high kicks from Oxley and others at the back better than Cox and Bunn were able to manage.

Perhaps a sign of how woeful we looked after the first 15 minutes that I feel he would add something we dont have without Hopper.

I personally thought a big number 9 should have been top of CP's shopping list last summer. With Ranger, Ladapo and MAF gone we were lacking anyone who can win a header up top.
We did try with that lad from Stoke but it didn't happen, as it often doesn't at our level.

Having said that Hopper was emerging as a great signing, definitely better than Ollie Palmer.
So we cant regret not signing a lesser player because the better one got injured.

What could be the best option for us is to look at a loan option Championship or even PL forwards who are out of favour. Now I know many of us have our doubts about developing other peoples players but none of the much mentioned forwards we have fit the target man job description.

It worked well last year with Mantom even though he was injured. He arrived in the summer far more comfortable and confident of his future with us. So lets try the same with a proper number 9 and use the loan system to out favour. Maybe pick up a player we would normally miss out on. because lets be honest we wont have the money to sign any real quality in January anyway.

I personally thought a big number 9 should have been top of CP's shopping list last summer. With Ranger, Ladapo and MAF gone we were lacking anyone who can win a header up top.
We did try with that lad from Stoke but it didn't happen, as it often doesn't at our level.

Having said that Hopper was emerging as a great signing, definitely better than Ollie Palmer.
So we cant regret not signing a lesser player because the better one got injured.

What could be the best option for us is to look at a loan option Championship or even PL forwards who are out of favour. Now I know many of us have our doubts about developing other peoples players but none of the much mentioned forwards we have fit the target man job description.

It worked well last year with Mantom even though he was injured. He arrived in the summer far more comfortable and confident of his future with us. So lets try the same with a proper number 9 and use the loan system to out favour. Maybe pick up a player we would normally miss out on. because lets be honest we wont have the money to sign any real quality in January anyway.
Wot he said!

Why not play two small guys upfront who are skilful, tricky and link up well and play the ball on the ground

Back