• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Crawley's No 9 Ollie Palmer

That about sums him up. Any League One side signing him would be doing so out of pure desperation.

But then this is a messageboard and after anyone has a decent game against us we should sign them ?

Glad to see you are enjoying non league football this season Jonny.

I sometimes think we should be describing The National League as almost a 5th League Division, rather than non-league.

Many clubs are professional now in that division and it's populated with several ex-league clubs.

If the idea of 5 divisions of 20 teams ever reaches fruition, then it will then be part of the full league set-up anyway.

I sometimes think we should be describing The National League as almost a 5th League Division, rather than non-league.

Many clubs are professional now in that division and it's populated with several ex-league clubs.

If the idea of 5 divisions of 20 teams ever reaches fruition, then it will then be part of the full league set-up anyway.

Totally agree, its division 5 to me

I think that its a throw back to the membership of Football League as an organisation , as opposed to the FA, although that would now make the Premier teams non league , wouldn't it ????

There are currently 10 ex football league clubs in the National League out of a total of 24. That surprised me.

Indeed, RHB and when you go down below this level, there's a few more in the South and North Divisions.

Last edited:
Nearly a whole old 4th Division.

Add to that Scarborough and Rushden & Diamonds.

Not sure if we've missed any?

Glad to see you are enjoying non league football this season Jonny.

Enjoyed it last season as well. Just grateful to have a club after that maniac nearly sank us. The only thing I actively hate about non-league is the officiating, which is so indescribably poor I can’t even explain it.

It’s a difficult one. In principle I’m in favour of League 2 South and North and nationalising from League One upwards, but it would be very hard for the part time sides (though there are actually only 4 in the National League at present).

But when actually looking at how he played, he couldn’t pick a pass, couldn’t shoot, had little link up play with the team. Being a physical nuisance was all he was, and for League 1 level we need a bit more than that

hmmmmmmmm yet he scored two goals against us Tuesday and one during the home tie which was judged to be offside. Seems a bit of a ridiculous statement.

I personally think he caused us issues through out both games and I think it was his second goal where he turned our two defenders inside out and then completed a very good finish for a big striker.

I'm not even trying to defend this guy or saying I would like to sign him, I just think the above statement is laughable based on what we have actually seen over the two games.

No good turning you nose up at Palmer. We haven't dealt with proper number 9's all season.

On Tuesday I was thinking how he plays will be the deciding factor for the match, as Crawley don't have to much else to worry about. We started off with Moore marking OP and just like at Shrewsbury against Lee Angle, TM struggled. First header OP won easy for a flick on, chested another down and then with good control right on the touch-line, he slipped past TM and cut inside. The 4th time he had the ball he was brought down as he tuned and won a free-kick.

The result was Crawley smelt an upset and we had to dig deep in the first 15. So anyone saying he has poor control and doesn't bring others into the game was either not there or queuing for a £6 burger...….He bought his whole team and the home crowd into play.

The good news is from then on we actually did a good job on him. Of course he will win headers he towers above our lads. The 2 goals were really the only chances in the second half, the first a flick on by one of our players, that can happen from a decent cross. Fair play to OP he was sharp enough to know he had time for touch, brought down and good finish. Second goal was a good turn but highlighted a problem we have had all season with who should be sweeping and who should attack out of your CB's. First half of extra time OP turned well and got a good shot away forcing Ox into the best save of the match (apart from the brave or mad header off the line by a Crawley defender at 6-2)

Powell got it wrong in the home game when he had Turner sweeping/staying central and White marking. After 15 on Tuesday we woke up and put JW on OP and Moore covering. Their second goal was when we were rattled and lost that shape for a bit. Some of you wont admit it but our best pairing last season was Turner attacking and Anton sweeping. No good claiming we had no pace because goals rarely come from through balls and the defence being beaten for pace.....Its the same this season.

This year it should be Turner and Moore but we have had many changes and the stats with 3 CB is when we had our best run...... 4 wins and a 0-0 draw before it was abandoned after losing to Cov.

With any chance of promotion currently laying on Ben Clarkson's treatment table, if we don't fancy looking over our shoulder, then we need to defend better and have some presence in the final third. A player like OP gives you that threat, definitely brings others into play but is a great option when you need the pressure taken off your back 4...….Nothing better than hoofing a blind clearance and seeing a strong lad up top make something of it.

Given the choice between OP and the big lad at Gills -Eaves? I would prefer Eaves.
Gills get relegated and who knows?

hmmmmmmmm yet he scored two goals against us Tuesday and one during the home tie which was judged to be offside. Seems a bit of a ridiculous statement.

I personally think he caused us issues through out both games and I think it was his second goal where he turned our two defenders inside out and then completed a very good finish for a big striker.

I'm not even trying to defend this guy or saying I would like to sign him, I just think the above statement is laughable based on what we have actually seen over the two games.

Wrote this after 1st game, so point about two goals can’t really be used, offside goal in first game was a two yard tap in, granted he causes problems but that’s due to his size not ability, fact is he’s been a lower league player for a reason

I thought Palmer's offside goal was a header from about 8 yards out?

Back