• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
30,000+ fans at Wembley last week and only the new manager's second home game.

Will the appointment of our new manager with his glowing (orange) premiership reputation enthuse the fanbase to build upon this achievement or will crowds drop because of the awful performances dished up under his tenure so far?

The gates for our last few afternoon fixtures have been

Fleetwood 5107 (nb bank holiday)
Torquay 4891
Rotherham 4983
Northampton 5406
Oxford 5596
Brentford 5540

Our crowds therefore seemed to have dropped about 10% to the end of the Sturrock reign, although the numbers don't look that different throughout most of his time in charge. They were substantially down on the figures under Tilly - even his last season, when performances on the pitch were dire and we were looking the part of a relegated team, crowds were about 1,500 higher. Is this why Ron thinks promotion is so important? Personally, I don't think promotion would attract those 1,500 back and a change of chairman would produce a bigger boost in crowds.

Our esteemed chairman though is always very sensitive about attendances - he pulled the trigger on both Alan Little and Steve Wignall when crowds dropped below 2,500 - and Sturrock was sacked the day after season ticket sales ended.

We should've launched some kind of ticket promotion to entice some of those nasty little day trippers who spoilt the atmosphere to part with their hard earned, something along the lines of "produce a Wembley ticket stub and get BOGOF Bristol Rovers tickets" or "Buy tickets for Bristol Rovers, get free Morecambe tickets" but, alas, we've seemingly done nothing.

Back to the usual for Saturday, perhaps slightly down given recent results.

In Tilly's last season we were in League 1 and season tickets were sold in the run-up to/on the back of a campaign where we made the playoffs for promotion back to the Championship. I would imagine season ticket attendees may account for many of the additional 1,500.

Crowds will tail off as the season fizzles out (as it surely will do after Wednedsay night). Given Ron's reasons for ousting Luggy when he did, I don't imagine the floating voters will be expecting PB to perform miracles overnight. Quite the contrary, the idea of getting PB in with 7 games to go so he could assess the squad before the summer rather suggests that
a) RM had given up on making the playoffs
b) Those 7 fixtures are to be treated as (very competitive) friendlies.

Under those circumstances, I wouldn't expect PB to cause an uptick in attendances until maybe next season.

Sweet FA to play for. This doesn't have anything to do with Brown's appointment. Fans will probably find better things to do than spend £30+ quid on a day out watching a 'friendly'.

Sweet FA to play for. This doesn't have anything to do with Brown's appointment. Fans will probably find better things to do than spend £30+ quid on a day out watching a 'friendly'.

Think you are right, reckon our attendances will plummet. Im actually thinking of knocking it on the head and just going to the last game.

Loyal supporter I know...

4500 if that. Nothing to play for this season and the team is terrible.

We got 4976 and 5132 for the homes game after the first LDV as compared to 4107 and 4753 for the two games preceding it when we didn't really have anything to play for.

I'm going to take a stab at about 4,400

We got 4976 and 5132 for the homes game after the first LDV as compared to 4107 and 4753 for the two games preceding it when we didn't really have anything to play for.

I'm going to take a stab at about 4,400

:omg: Thats a bit harsh! What did those 4,400 do to you to deserve that?

:winking:

Although which League we are in does have some bearing on attendances , I think any sustainable increase only comes from winning matches ( and to a lesser extent , playing well ).
I would expect larger crowds if we were top of L2 and winning most of our home games than we would get at the bottom of L1 and getting hammered.
Most of the die hards will attend no matter what , but the 'floaters' ( no jokes please ) will always determine their level of support in relation to how successful we are.

Saturday : 4,327

Sorry to hear that mate.

You could set up a mobile tanning salon and pitch up at RH car park?

Back